ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignition/key issue

Lotus Exige, 182
A strange problem this, and I've done a good search to see if it's happened to others but no luck:

My girlfriend has used the 182 to drive to work today. Set off just fine this morning, left it in the car park today and... I've just had a panicked call from her saying she can't turn the key in the ignition!

This problem has arisen a few times now when she's taken the car, but I've never had the same problem and been unable to duplicate it. After 5 minutes of general flapping, wiggling the steering wheel and shouting abuse at me down the phone while I suggested she put the car in neutral, de-press the clutch and anything else I could think of the key suddenly turned in the igntion, car's started and she's now on her way!

Anyone else had this problem and managed to resolve it (with the car, not the missus!)?:rasp: The most common thing that's come up on the search seems to be the imobilisor, but the problem is not that the car won't start, it's that the key won't physically turn!

Cheers Will

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I bet she's trying to turn the key without moving the steering wheel.

182FF
The only thing i can think of is the steering wheel does need to be moved a little so the steering lock doesn't affect the turning of the key.

For example if my steering lock is on i cant just put my key in a turn it most times i have to move the steering wheel ever so slightly.

Maybe you do this without realising and the girlfriend does not?

Lotus Exige, 182
Cheers mate, that's what I thought. But she claims that she is moving the steering wheel before trying to turn the key - in fact, I had the privilage of listening to her wrench it from side to side just now! I've never had the problem myself and she's not been able to replicate it while I've been in the car but I suspect it is that.

Suzuki Ignis
I had this problem, partially collapsed barrel? I never found out the cause coz I crashed it before I fixed it.
Might need a new barrel, re-coding etc.

Lotus Exige, 182
^ And that will be expensive and need to be done by a dealer! Thanks; if it happens to me I suppose I will have to investigate further.