ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illusion - the reviews thread

This thread is here for all of our customers and members of the product test panel to submit reviews, pictures and discuss our show car wax, Illusion.

An overview of Illusion:

Detailing paintwork is the art of creating optical illusions, and in this art Auto Finesse Illusion is a true master. Made from a highly innovative blending of natural and man-made ingredients, Illusion’s sole purpose is to push the concept of a ‘Show Car Wax’ as far as it will go. Red glows like a molten pool of lava, metallic flake sparkles like a diamond in the sun, white assumes a gloss that has never before been seen, and black becomes a portal to another universe…. Is it magic, or just an Illusion?

Auto Finesse Illusion contains 48% T1 Grade Brazilian Carnauba Wax by volume, with the remainder being made up by synthetic polymers, and gloss-intensifying oils. The combination of these ingredients means that Illusion can provide 2-3 months of jaw-dropping beauty and durability. With a delicious strawberry liquorice scent, and effortless application, few want to wait that long before applying another coat anyway.

Preparing the surface:

To create the ultimate shine we always recommend that your vehicles paint work is polished prior to application of Illusion. Tripple will remove and mask any light surface defect whilst leaving behind a slick glazing oil for Illusion to bond to.

IMG_7172edit.jpg

We recommend that you use a microfiber applicator to apply Tripple. Once you have worked Tripple into the panel and it has hazed over, remove any residue with a fresh microfiber cloth.

IMG_7172edit-1.jpg

Application of Illusion:

Now your surface has been properly prepared its time to get waxing. Start by teaming Illusion and Waxmate together, then twist the Waxmate ninety degrees on Illusion. The oily nature of Illusion will insure that this is enough Illusion to coverage a medium sized panel.

IMG_7180edit.jpg

Now using straight lines massage Illusion in one panel at a time. Once your whole vehicle is covered its time for removal.

IMG_7184edit.jpg

Removal:

Illusion is very forgiving with its cure time as there is no set time. This makes it perfect if you are a time pressed detailer or if you are new to waxing. This flexible work time allows you to remove Illusion after waxing the whole vehicle.

When Removing Illusion make sure to use a clean microfiber towel. For this job we always turn to our Duo edgeless microfiber cloths. These offer a safer experience and have a larger work area that the standard 40x40cm microfiber cloth.

IMG_7177edit.jpg

The Finishing Shots:

Once Illusion has bee fully buffed of you will be left with an Illusion on your paint surface. Its now that you will see Illusion's show car qualities shine through as you are left with a deep wet look paint surface.

IMG_7203edit.jpg

Although Illusion only holds two to three months’ durability it still has out standing hydrophobic qualities. This makes Illusion perfect for a summer wax when you want rinse any dust off of your paintwork with an open end hose or for a quick snow foam and rinse.

IMG_7199edit.jpg

We look forward to hearing and seeing your experiences with Illusion and results it leaves for you…

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Nice stuff. I found that once cured it didn't at all remove well when using a plush MF, but came off easily with short pile :/

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If only it lasted just a fraction longer, it would be the only wax you'd ever want to buy.

I've not used a wax that was so fool proof and effortless to apply and remove. And the finish isn't all that bad either!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Balls. I just bought some of this off aucky lol!

Up to three months durability! I was expecting a month from a show wax! That's awesome.

Can't wait to get it on the civic as the clio still has desire on it.

Last edited:
  Honda & VW
Having not yet used Illusion I'm unsure as to the best practice for removal. Above it stated applying to the entire car prior to removal yet the website says the following...

"Once you have completed one normal-sized panel, or half of a large one, move on to another section of equal size. When you are done waxing the second section, you will be ready to buff off the wax from the first"

keen em to know which is best as assisting a friend in prepping his car for Players in just over a weeks time

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Having not yet used Illusion I'm unsure as to the best practice for removal. Above it stated applying to the entire car prior to removal yet the website says the following...

"Once you have completed one normal-sized panel, or half of a large one, move on to another section of equal size. When you are done waxing the second section, you will be ready to buff off the wax from the first"

keen em to know which is best as assisting a friend in prepping his car for Players in just over a weeks time

I left it to cake/bake on in direct sunlight for 20/30 mins and it came off fine. Was a little grabby but I was still surprised at how easy it came off.

an even layer, left to cure in the shade will be no problem for one person to do the whole car before buffing.

Finally got round to using illusion today but rain put a stop to it just as i got started.

Anyway still managed to get the roof done and shall add to this this week as i need to finish the car for FCS this weekend.

Few of the products i used today.

DSCF2526_zps6f96cc58.jpg

Gave the car the usual wash process nothing much as it was all done recently and hasn't been used for a while due to me removing box and rebuilding etc so ~

Rinse, foam, shampoo, rinse, wipe over the whole car with oblitarate, shampoo, rinse, spray over with slightly watered down verso (Heard its good for removing waxes???) agitate and rinse off.

Left with this

DSCF2524_zps15f8a71d.jpg

At this point the clouds rumbled in so i cracked on and dried the roof so this was before polish

DSCF2529_zps969df408.jpg

I applied a coat of my at the moment favourite Tripple (maybe a bit thick):eek:

DSCF2528_zps27821055.jpg

DSCF2527_zps4d25875e.jpg

Buffed off

DSCF2533_zpsc3cb98e0.jpg

Put a coat of Tough coat over the top of tripple to seal the shine in. I love this stuff but struggle to see where i have done lol

DSCF2530_zps5a656592.jpg

Applied but very hard to see

DSCF2531_zps05c6350e.jpg

DSCF2532_zps7a94d553.jpg

Buffed off and like a mirror

DSCF2534_zps9c7dbef0.jpg

Onto the wax "Illusion" i have seen some of the results others have had, so was really looking forward to using this.

DSCF2535_zpsf324fbbb.jpg

Smells just like AF said strawberry liqcorice.

The wax is very very soft and oily a gentle dab with the applicator picked up a fair amount of was but does go a long way. It didn't seem to cure very quick in comparison to other AF waxes. Left it for a good 10 mins before removing to which it came off very easy and leaving a glass like finish.

Applied

DSCF2537_zps5e2c8224.jpg

Buffed off

DSCF2539_zps81687e11.jpg

DSCF2540_zps57801550.jpg

DSCF2538_zps3d4217c6.jpg

Really liking the finish illusion gives which is a wet look.

Just as i finished buffing the roof off it started to rain which fell just right for some beading shots.

DSCF2543_zpscfe86775.jpg

DSCF2545_zps723e166c.jpg

DSCF2541_zpscbe2d1a3.jpg

DSCF2542_zps81157786.jpg

DSCF2544_zps3e6950b5.jpg

DSCF2546_zpsa6882caa.jpg

Can't wait to do the rest of the car really looking forward to seeing it finished. I shall upload more images this week when i have finished.

Many thanks to Auto Finesse feel free to come and have a gander at it at FCS this weekend on the cliosport stand as my picture taking really doesn't do the car justice;)

Auto Finesse - is it possible to buy sample lots of illusion? Looking at trying this stuff but as I'm only a novice in detailing don't want to fork out for a full out just yet!
thanks in advance,

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
MartinR

Did you use the Illusion over Tough Coat? Not too much of an issue in this case because Illusion can be treated as a sacrificial monthly show wax anyway, but for future reference waxes tend not to bond overly well with tough coat IME.

Both good products that suit silver really well. :)

Hi aucky

Yes mate i put illusion over the top of tough coat, Seemed ok and has gave a massively high gloss finish:). Worked well with desire too.

Maybe it won't last as long? Shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Right put this one through it's paces over the weekend! Unfortunately I forgot to take any really dirty pictures
naughty.gif
but after a jet washing this is what I had...

4899264A-EB40-4C09-97E8-F82DD01BF5AD_zpsjyc7xdvj.jpg

5D033143-263E-4E2F-85C5-7E14F9CB72F9_zpsxmdinnqs.jpg

941D681C-B875-42EB-A206-CC381AB6685F_zps29kuumbd.jpg

When I opened Illusion I was meant with another fantastic smell, along with a slightly different consistency from the other waxes I've been trying. I must say it goes on like an absolute dream (probably helped by the lovely warm weather) although because of this I found a little bit too much at a time trying to find its way on to my microfibre! Meaning I did use up quite a lot of it on just these two panels. Maybe this one is going to need a proper order though :) anyway, I tried to get some 50/50 shots but it's not always the easiest with silver and the sun was so bright I couldn't actually see what the camera was taking at the time, so sorry if these are a bit crap!

328499FA-E94C-40EC-8492-40C227C51A61_zpsqieksash.jpg

75D9C62F-7805-4513-8E4B-1FA51440A001_zpsnwjrb1hj.jpg

08C3E6C5-5C09-4114-A273-E77F35D3245C_zpszqe4s5wp.jpg

Okay and here's some final shots. Glossy as hell! Must admit I was looking out the window at it all evening! Thanks AF, probably my favourite wax so far. Really easy to use and with a finish that looks like you've spent hours and hours on it!

5D729B80-6232-48DE-B585-1F9ADF912D13_zpsamjzjnkf.jpg

C439E3B3-839A-43EC-B5DD-309306C3FFF4_zpsj95swmf2.jpg

B40AA84C-9944-4565-A806-D62A8A66F3DA_zpsaemwpekv.jpg

True to form of course it rained the following day! But when I've still got more pictures to take I don't mind :approve:

F83ACF88-E277-476A-971D-FD5A562702B8_zpselpiojey.jpg

ED671356-C2E6-4AC0-8C4F-4901DA572A93_zpscghbcztz.jpg

68B7F77E-BA29-449D-8EA9-EA2BE6744150_zps9oszjvqw.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
My thoughts on Illusion:

So with FCS tomorrow I thought I'd better do a last second clean of the car in preparation.

I didn't take any photos of the was process but it went like this:

Snow Foam - AB Magic Foam
Rinse with jet wash
Decon with Dragons Breath
Wheels with Wonder Wheels purple stuff
Rinse with jet wash
Snow Foam
Wash 2bm with AF Lather
De tar - Auto Glym
Rinse
Clay with G3 Clay mitt (love this)
Rinse with open hose
Dry with big blue towel
AF Tripple
AF Tough Coat
Wheels Trippled
Wheels sealed with Armour All
Tyres Armour All

Then on to the AF Illusion.

Car to start:

ase4a6y6.jpg

vugy7une.jpg

Out with the Illusion:

du3a3u3a.jpg

Very very soft and oily, a little goes a very long way and is very easy to spread.

e6e9e9ep.jpg

After being left for 15 - 20 min it was time to remove, I purposefully over applied on one panel, no problem... This has to be the easiest wax to remove requiring no effort at all, just a quick wipe with a microfibre.

Leaving:

2u2azyhy.jpg

vy7yryra.jpg

a3ymu7uv.jpg

zemynaza.jpg

enezy6em.jpg

a8yraqes.jpg

Finish is super slick and reflective, and with the ease of on / off its durability as a show wax isn't really an issue as you could simply whip round the car in 10 min, have a cuppa while it cured and buff off.

etejy6en.jpg

In short another fine product from Auto Finesse, and one I may add to my collection to run alongside the pot of Auto Finesse Spirt I already have.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
phew, what a month its been, with renovating my house, Le Mans and spending time with my boys the car has been negelted since last months test, but its Sunday ive chased the shade as much as possible and given the sunflower a well deserved wash.

This months test is the Auto Finesse Illusion wax. A quick look on the AF website shows this siting price wise as 4th of the 6th waxes coming in at £75 for a full pot. Previous wax tests were of the £90 Spirit and the flagship £120 Desire. Personally i found Desire a much harder wax compared to Spirit, so how would Illusion compare?

Illusion had already passed the smell test, with the woman at work comparing it to their lip balms!

So after a wash we can make a start

DSC_0619.jpg

Before applying the wax, I prepared the paint with an application of another firm favorite, AF Tripple. (I was hoping to go for a trial of my newly bought revitalise 1&2 but time and the sun were against me today) Tripple needs no introduction and results the usual quality and an ease to use.

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

Now to the Illusion,

DSC_0623.jpg

Using the more is less approach, Illusion feels oily and silky to apply, much more alike Spirit. Nice long even strokes seemed the best approach and application was a pleasure.

DSC_0624.jpg

Instructions suggested to apply a panel at a time and cover the entire car, before buffing. My the tiem i reached the bonnet i was loosing the battle with the sun however, however needed have worried. When it came to buffing off i did the bonnet earlier to allow for the quicker curing time and all was well.

DSC_0626.jpg

Illusion cured in a reasonable time and buffed off without feeling like you need popeye arms.

DSC_0627.jpg

DSC_0628.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0630.jpg

Described as a show wax leaving a wet look finish. I will be keen to see how long the durability lasts over the summer. Not personally in a position at the moment to buy multiple waxes durability may be the one point that makes me stick to preferring Spirit, however the results definately look great and if time allowed reapplications monthly wouldnt be that much of a negative.

All in all another fantastic product from auto Finesse that delivers results whilst an ease to use. Beading shots to follow.....

thanks once again Auto Finesse

Very late in the day, I know. Very busy few weeks!

Anyway, Illusion. I love this wax. Now my only Summer wax. And works beautifully over a bare base or my other fav (and as requested in this test) over Tripple.

First up, dust removal via hose, QD and drying towel, as the car was only washed last weekend and hasn't moved since.

Test location was the spoiler for this one;

9eqydame.jpg

With a clean start, time to prep the paint with Tripple.

4aba9emy.jpg

Polished with a MF pad, left for a mo get a clean MF towel and buffed to leave;

y5e4avy8.jpg

You can already tell the difference between the two surfaces.

za7u4ymu.jpg

ura2ybus.jpg

Next on to the star of the show;

adasyza5.jpg

Spreads so easily as it's very oily and the smell (fruity) makes application a delight for a fair weather waxer!!

uge5ehyz.jpg

uzahequt.jpg

uty6y9ap.jpg

And buffed to a very deep glowing shine.

he6umu2e.jpg

yzemusez.jpg

ejynyzu6.jpg

9e5upe2y.jpg

Love this stuff and great to have another test pot in my repertoire!

And the final beading shots. Lovely glassy beads from the great wax.

yhusy3a9.jpg

navy2uba.jpg

Thanks again to Auto Finesse for the ongoing pleasure of test panelling!

Cheers all,

Jamie

Cheers!