ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac

Right i'm getting one the big 27" one.

I'm a little lost on the upgrades that you can choose from , obviously i'd love the top end of everything , but alas i'm not a CS high roller :rasp:

It will be mainly used to surf the internet + downloading films/music , watching films listning to music.

It makes sense to go QuadCore , but do i need i7? what size HD is fair? i need help.

The Garage band app ( correct word? ) will be getting used
The movie maker app will be getting used
As will some of the grafic design stuff.

What spec would you recommend i go for , i do have a very large music library 14,000 on my PC.

I know nothing about Mac's tbh , ive just got my head around iphone4.

Any help will be great.

Thanks

leon

They come with 1TB as standard. If you need more just buy an external USB HD. Far cheaper. 1TB is plenty for most people.

RAM is best upgraded via Crucial. Far cheaper and it's easy to do. Just undo a few screws underneath. So just get what it comes with.

I'd say i3 will be absolutely plenty for what you want to do. Just depends how flush you are.

i3 - Sensible.
i5 - Great spec.
i7 - Loaded. Want the best.

Any of them will last you years and years. You'll want an upgrade due to upgradeitus long before it's slow/dead.

The most important thing is to be a man and get 27". Only girls and gays get the iMac nano.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i7 or you're a peasant. ;)

TBH, the only reason I got the i7 is because it's much better at multitasking high-load applications. For what you'll use it for, an i3 would be fine!

Any 27" iMac is epic.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, the Soundsticks still work.

The i5's a great processor, I've just picked up my new MacBook Pro running an i5 today, so I'll let you know how it handles stuff.

german
i3 is fine for what you're after.
I have poverty spec and it doesn't miss a beat doing the things you've mentioned.

Thanks lads , i'm also thinking of resale value , i'd get more in a couple of years for a i5 + Quad Core will be all the rage. When i bought my last PC 4 years ago Dual Core was top of the range.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i5's the best compromise, IMO.

That said, an i3 would still be fine.

I used an i3 the other week and it was much quieter than my i7. Not sure about the i5.

2.2 bar shed.
I'd wait a wee bit for the new Sandy Bridge processors to come through to the iMac's. Not sure when they're due for renewal though?

E85 3.0i
I have a base spec iMac i3/4GB/1TB which get's used for browsing/music/films/photos etc. I also use Aperture and it run's sweet as a nut.

I also used to have those Soundsticks which we're excellent, I now use BOSE Companion 3's which are better and look classier IMO

Inferno 182 CUP
i have the pov spec 21 but im on 8gb of ram and mine flies

i have itunes balsting, interweb open and surfing, aperture and CS5 open and im downloading from my camera and its still saying f**k you work me harder

its an i3 btw

I'd wait a wee bit for the new Sandy Bridge processors to come through to the iMac's. Not sure when they're due for renewal though?

I'm gonna be buying an iMac at the end of the month and was going to play the waiting game for the Sandy Bridge models, but the fact that it could be another 6 months wait makes me think f**k it so I'm just gonna get the current i7.

Ive got an i3 at work. Tis pretty epic tbh. I work in IT so I've always got tons open and its still rapid.

PS magic mouse is epic.