ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser Issue (PH1 172)

PH1 Clio 172
I have searched the forums firstly and found many ppl to have had similar problems to this, however their fixes havent worked, or their threads havent been updated with if it was ever fixed or not...

About 3 weeks ago my Clio's central locking & immobiliser started to play up, it would fire up then cut out and then not fire at all unless you sat clicking the fob constantly, other times it would start first time.

It has now decided to give up the ghost all together though, and the immobiliser appears to be permanently stuck on. Fast flashing light in centre of dials, turns over but wont fire...

I have scoured the web and found & tried all of the below possible fixes:

1) re-solder key (Battery terminals had come loose)

2) tried re-sync'ing - Holding down RAID/Central locking button on centre console until the light turns solid and then clicking the key-fob.

3) Replaced decoder ring to no avail.

4) checked all fuses etc.

5) went to the extreme lengths of removing the dash board looking for any shorts etc.

6) obtained the immobiliser key override code (4 Digit Code) however following the instructions doesnt appear to allow me to enter the code to over ride it (maybe user error or its not compatible with my car?)

I have tinkered with most things on the car tbh now and tried almost everything. I dont have a spare key for the car (Just the one key).

So before i have to tow it to renault and have my wallet raped by them, i was just wondering as a last ditch effort if anyone had any other idea's?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Cheers

Dave :(

Megane dci 130
The central locking and the imobiliser are two different systems. So re syncing the key, fixing the battery etc will not affect the imobiliser. Even if you didn't have a battery in the key, it would still start the car.

Keys are very weak on all clio 2's. It will more than likly need a new key.

Have you tried the spare key?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Thanks- How did you bypass it?

There is a way to bypass the immobilisier on a ph1,

First thing you need to do is get the ECU unlocked and the fit a emulator, the emulator will give a new code for the imob that allows the Ecu to fire up the car..

Loads of Mk1 boys on here have done it (f0xy,willylover etc)

The above i mentioned is what jordan (f0xy) told me do to, but didnt work due to beeing ph2)

PH1 Clio 172
shepperdspie: Thanks for the reply, I am aware of this thanks, and as stated in my first post i dont have a spare key for this car however its looking like its going to have to go to Renault so will soon sort that issue lol

That why your selling on PH as a 'minter'?

The car is a 'minter', as good as i am though i cannot forecast nor can i prevent a key/immobiliser problem arising after the car was advertised. Rest assure though the car will have all that is required to put it right again. Thanks for the constructive feedback though. :rolleyes:

James.f: Cheers! I did read something similar just wanted to get around the immobiliser as a temporary measure so i can actualy start the car. Looks like its going to Renault now though, much appreciated info though!

RenaultSport 172
Get an autolec' to have a look for you. Mine was playing up and he came around and "Removed" the immobiliser.

Iceberg Ph1
Is it both locking and immobiliser that are playing up?

I think your key may have given up the ghost, mine done the exact same and the way I got around starting my Ph1 before I got a new key was to put the key in the ignition, and as you turn it to turn the car over, press the button on the fob, it worked every time for me, then I got a new fob and its been fine ever since, although I did not experience any locking issue so I can't really help you on that I'm afraid.

PH1 Clio 172
Just to update you all on this its now sorted and the cars running perfectly again...

The issue was that the "Radio Transmittor" within the key itself was faulty. As a result when depressing the keyfob the code that was being read from the key wasnt being sent to the immobiliser unit in the car - thus the car not firing up.

They managed to get the code from the immobiliser unit in the car and cut & code me another key.

Grand total of £117.50 to fix (Home visit to the car)

If anyone needs anything like this in the Warrington area this is who i used (VERY good service)

http://autolocksmithwarrington.co.uk/

I hope this helps someone, and once again thanks all for you help and feedback!

172 16v
u tried holding button on key while tryin to start it mate?? a mate of mine had this prob and that wat he had to do every time to start it worth a try...

PH1 Clio 172
Cheers Sam, as per my last post this is now sorted.

However during the problem times, yes i did try that to no avail. (I know now thats because the transmittor in the key wasnt working)

Cheers

alicce

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 172 phase 1
What an old thread, but I think I might have this problem also now.
Sometimes... now way more often... the red lock lamp in the instruments flashes rapidly and the engine wont start.
For now it works if I just turn the key fast, like the lamp hasn't got time to start flashing, but I'm aware that it is a short solution.
I prepare for a new key then (I had hoped changing the battery could have been enough, but luckily I got wiser thanks to this forum).
Thanks