ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Important Warning to Clio owners!!!

Just saw this posted on a local website by a guy that runs a big accessories shop outside Glasgow. Unfortunately, this guys pretty damn trustworthy and knows a lot of significant local car industry figures, so theres a fair chance it isnt a hoax!

"This is being kept a bit hush, hush, but personally I think this should be printed in the local press.

Strathclyde, Lothian & Borders and Central Police are currently investigating a seriously large number of thefts over the last few days of Renault Clios in the area.

It would appear a gang has found a way to break in, without damaging the locks, and bypassing the factory fitted alarm/immobiliser and drive the cars away .

Last week alone there were 112 such reported thefts of Clios, that is up from a normal case book of about 10 to 15, and this week looks like it could be about 200.

If you own a Clio, and do not have a 3rd party alarm/immobiliser then use your garage if you have one and/or use a deadlock...

This is a seriously organised gang who have acquired a list of all the Clio models that are worth stealing (Clio Williams, etc.) and the address of the Registered Keepers. This a loophole the DVLA have still not closed.
When put together with their knowledge of the Clio this is pretty awful news.

Armed with the details of the car they are looking for (VRN, and colour), and the address of the keeper, they then drive round see if its there.
If it is then walk up, unlock it, and its gone... (just as quick as you can armed with your key and keyfob!)

Hopefully the technique being used wont go outside this gang, but if it does then Insurance premiums for Clios might rise in the near future..."

Didnt VW have this trouble a while back? I remember it was on watchdog last year, a gang was over riding the central locking system which in turn lowered all the windows and unlocked the doors, they then over rode the immobiliser and started the car, this happened on all VWs tho! I wonder if other Renaults will start going missing?

Renault better pull their fingers out their asses and recall all Clios to upgrade the security before buyers are put off by the creeping insurance premiums! What type of Clios were being stolen? Was it mainly cups or were they targeting newer clios?

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

OMG this is shocking !

I saw the VW thing on watch dog too

So who has what type of extra immobiliser fitted ?

it was peugeot 406s I think, they did it via the boot but they wouldnt show how to... thats just perfect now Ive got to find the money for an alarm and immobilser.... mind you not sure theyd want my car with the new aero dynamic body styling I put into the passenger side....

ooh now that aint good. unfortunately, i they have found a way in, then we should assume that others will be finding it out too. not good. scary about the insurance side of things, but unfortunately again i think your absolutely right, they will go up if this escallates.

someone must have cracked the rolling codes in keyfobs, or even hacked renault. either way Im glad the police are on it, lets hope renault are too.

Im not sure about the ages of car involved, all the info I have is what I posted above. It mentions Williams though, so it might be old??? On the other hand, that might just be used as an example of a desirable Clio, so its hard to say. Ive got my Clio parked in next to the garage with both my parents cars behind it just to be on the safe side, so if they did for some bizarre reason decide they wanted to get their hands on my 1.2 they would have to get the other 2 alarmed cars out the way first!!

i work with ex-cid and they have friends who work in the strathclyde 50 car crime unit, will ask him in the morning to see if its true and if its known how its happening

Renaultsport Clio 182

I got a aftermarket alarm put on straight away!! Good thing Now!!:eek:

I hope Renault sort this out!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah heard of the VW problem & my Mums has never been re-called for it!

So it can only be a certain year of Clio with this crap immobiliser though, hence the 172 immobilier will not be the same as the 16v. So who should be worried theICEman?

I dont know who should be worried, I am not the source of the info, Ive just cut and pasted from M8Internets post on http://www.strathycruise.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4865http://www.strathycruise.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4865

The guy owns a big car accessories store, as well as an online hosting business. Hes fairly well hooked-up in local automotive circles. If you view his previous posts, you will see hes always full of good info, not bullsh*t posts, so I have reason to suspect the authenticity of this post.http://www.strathycruise.com

How many members do we have??????

And have any of them heard of a *please insert your car here* being stolen????

so lets all just chill, instead of running to m8internets store and giving him large fistfulls of cash to fit alarms/immobilisers to our cars!!!

lol

A fair point, but it seems to be confined so far to central Scotland. Not too many members up here really. Anyway, whether or not its true, its always better to be safe than sorry, and if I can help people be extra vigilant and avoid getting their pride and joy half-inched, then I would like to think Id passed on some potentially useful info.

im not having a pop!

but lets all be in full receipt of the FACTS first!

m8internet should be stating the sorce of his/her information!

which atm im failing to see

if its true i just dont want it to appear on say watchdog and have any little ned try their luck with mine as i wont feel safe leaving it anywhere incase either it gets nicked or they make off with stereo etc.....think i will be moving baseball bat down to near front door

i actually got a letter from the police a few weeks ago warning me about a high number of clios being nicked in my area. asking me to be carefull etc.

i have not got it anymore, sorry, like i say it was a few weeks ago, wasnt very long though. just basic really, warning me about the high number of clios being stolen and asking me to be carefull, not leaving stuff in view and giving them an excuse to break into it.

"think i will be moving baseball bat down to near front door"

Just in case you fancy a game on the spur of the moment, yes? ;)

Alymac - post when you know the score!

jesus jings!!! this is not good, ill top myself if my williams gets nicked, think ill stick my old steering lock on from now on, hopefully put them off!

Get one of those TOAD gas things that fills the cockpit with non toxic gas so they cant see through it. But as a bit more of a deterant go down to your local swimmiing baths and "borrow" some chlorine. Replace the gas canister with chroline gas (which you will have to convert from the powder that the swimming baths use) then you can be safe in the fact that your pride and joy most definatly wont be leaving the drive. If the police say anything just tell them you have no idea what has happend and it must have been a c**k up at TOAD.

Not that anyone would want to permanantly borrow my RT but I am investing in some of that TOAD (why do I keep writing that in capitals?) film for my windows. That will at least remove the risk of ugly kid joe robbing my stereo. Might get myself a good quality alarm aswell. My mate got a TOAD at half the price of retail (cos it wasnt being proffessionally fitted) and we fitted it to his gf mini. They werent supposed to supply them, but they did. So a £300 TOAD alarm for £120 cant be half bad. Only took a day to figure out everything and fit it.

Oh and another thing. Maybe your scotish clio owners should invest in the highly illegal R.E.D devices. Remote Explosive Device. Just set one up in your car, connect it to a mobile phone and dont give anyone the number (best off with pay as you go). Then when someone swipes your car you dial up your phone and key in the 3 different access codes and KAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOM! You can setup different things, so you could just have say your wheels severed off, or the steering wheel severed, or the entire car could blow up. My favorite is the thermite in the engine bay. When ignited (by extreme extreme high temperature) it will burn through your entire engine. The ultime imobaliser. Oh they are highly illegal btw, never seen em for sale in the uk. But heard of the them in South Africa and in certain parts of the U S of up there own Assholes.

Just imagine all the clios that have been stollen fitted with these R.E.D things and all sitting in a wearhouse somewhere. Then everyone calls them up at the same time. God it would be a sight to see.

In my eyes its better to loose your pride and joy than let some other git get there hands on it.

Oh and if anyone of you trys this and the police find this, I was sleep typing it and had no actual control over what I was actually saying. ZzzzZZZzzzz

Paul

I have called Renault this morning to discuss the matter and also got my mate to do the same, they deny any security concerns with clios and have no reports of increased thefts.

I am seeing my colleague who is ex-cid at around 1pm and will ask him to see if her can call his friends in the strathclyde police stolen vehicle unit and see what they say.

I parked mine today just like i did when i got her, in view of cctv at train station, steering wheel lock on and made sure that their aint anything in car

To be honest, I dont think his store does security/audio/ICE, etc. its more spares and styling and performance accessories. He also owns most of the petrol stations on the South Side of Glasgow, is a registered Expert Witness for vehicle related crime, and has contracts with Strathclyde Police. He confirmed that his source was a Duty Traffic Inspector with Strathclyde Police who is his neighbour. Apparently almost 50% of all car thefts in the area were high value Clios!!

I work for an insurance company in Glasgow, we have a anti fraud unit which is headed by two ex very senior cid officers, i asked one of them today about it, he contacted Strathclyde Polices Stolen Vehicle Unit where he knows the guy in charge, who advised they know nothing of this, they ran a check for stolen clios and the only ones they have information on where key theft cases, there was no alarming numbers of stolen clios, the guy from within the Vehicle Unit is however going to check with his contacts in Lothian & Borders, Central and Tayside Police areas to see if they have any other information.

Ally

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Erm sounds like scare tactics to me !!

To be honest with you !! Most people would have had extra security fitted to their pride and Joy !!

I know it was the first thing i did !! Had the old alarm removed and a new non Renault one fitted. Then had a separate imobiliser fitted as well !!

All sounds very sus to me !!