ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impressed with 1.6 performance

I'd have a 1.6, but didnt like the relative poverty. The wife wanted one, but I suggested we just get a cup :cool:

BMW E92/Audi S3
^^ dont take it serious mate, i tell foxy aka gordan aka katie he is a homo all the time... and christopher is a little midget, and dutty112 that he is a girl with green wheels

Rotfl, now i can put faces to names

clio 03 1.6 16v
lol, all humor put aside, i do agree to a certain extent what the guy means with there not being much in it.
the 1.6 clio is a supriser sum times, if theres no heat soak and its cool air going into it, it makes a huge differance !
the 172/182 will always manage to pull away but for all they extra horses its suprising that they dont pull much faster!
i posted a thread about me keeping up with a sport in ek a while back upto like a certain speed... but thats when the weather was cold and it pulled very well! now in the hotter weather it aint so good.
you can have fun in the smaller engine, pay less tax,petrol,inurance,car cost and still enjoy !

visualize whirled pe
1*2's are much brisker than 1.6's.

That doesn't mean the 1.6 is a slow car it's really not a bad performer at all round driving.
You can stick a load of patio slabs in the back and not even know you are carrying the weight, climb hills with ease and cruise at a sensible 70mph comfortably, they are nippy enough to get you around with a bit more excitment than a usual city car.

In a head to head against a 1*2 there is no competition, the RS would walk it from a standing start and a like for like driver would out gun and handle you in every respect, besides, racing people on the roads is not a sensible thing to do, sure there are times when you might keep up but that is hardly a realistic comparison between two cars performances when a driver is often more concerned with getting pulled by a police car or flashed by a camera, let alone stacking it into a hedge or other motorist.

Sorry if that bursts a few bubbles, Renault didn't spend millions developing the RS because they wanted to make a special version of the clio which would just about pull away from a lesser spec model.

Shed.
They aint bad, no where near as fast as a 172 but they dont struggle to keep up when there are bends about. Theyre actually rarther nippy.

Shed.
on that note i remember being with rob in his 172. we were booting it with the 1.6 besides us, put it this way, its not like we shot past it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You all wait till i get my RS Twingo, i'll own you all then ;)

Clio 200
lol, all humor put aside, i do agree to a certain extent what the guy means with there not being much in it.
the 1.6 clio is a supriser sum times, if theres no heat soak and its cool air going into it, it makes a huge differance !
the 172/182 will always manage to pull away but for all they extra horses its suprising that they dont pull much faster!
i posted a thread about me keeping up with a sport in ek a while back upto like a certain speed... but thats when the weather was cold and it pulled very well! now in the hotter weather it aint so good.
you can have fun in the smaller engine, pay less tax,petrol,inurance,car cost and still enjoy !

il give you a wee blast and see how it goes :p used to be one kicking about town at the weekends trying to race everything and anything was quite nippy.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Well considering my 1.6 (with no airfilter in) long story and YES its back in now, was never ment to be out.... kept up with the 182 i would of thort that it would be a closer match if it had of been a 172 and just to make u all that little bit more sceptical my 1.6 has a spare wheel, twin subs in a twin box, amp and has a trolley jack on the floor in the back n 3/4 tank petrol ... now if i took all that weigth out and put the airbox with cool air flow back in... AND was playing againts a 172......

im sure there would of beenless of a gap

Clio 182
Can we please stop talking shite!

1.6 16v
110bhp
148NM
1000KG

Clio 182
180bhp
200NM
1090KG

So, 90KG less makes it....

1.6 16V
110bhp/ton

170bhp/ton

If we all love stats so much then its a faster car full stop!
Probably more to do with the 182 driver not been bothered to waste fuel racing a 1.6 :rasp:!

visualize whirled pe
You could write it in 50 ft letters it wouldn't make a difference.

Like I said the 1.6 is a nippy enough shopping car but that's it.

Did i mention the time I overtook a ferrari 360 on my push bike, yeah I'm thinking of entering the tour d' France or something now because them 360's are supposed to be very fast but I passed him like he was stopped... I had my walkman and a packet or chewing gum in my pocket... that would have weighed me down a bit.
Yhea.. he might have been parked up checking his oil level or something when I passed him but that dosent matter I over took him, so I'm technically faster! and that's all that counts.

Can we please stop talking s**te!

1.6 16v
110bhp
148NM
1000KG

Clio 182
180bhp
200NM
1090KG

So, 90KG less makes it....

1.6 16V
110bhp/ton

170bhp/ton

If we all love stats so much then its a faster car full stop!
Probably more to do with the 182 driver not been bothered to waste fuel racing a 1.6 :rasp:!

M

mini-valver

The RS is faster, no doubt BUT it isn't a f**king rocket ship. You need a LOT more power to walk past a similar car. If the 1.6 is in 2nd and guns it while the 182 is in 3rd, you'll get caught out and will need to be doing silly speeds to pull any decent gap.

In the right circumstances with the right drivers, any slower car can be quicker than any quicker car.

There are videos of Fred out driving a 172 while driving a 1.2 clio. Hardly think the 1.2 clio is a faster car!

Rusty Cup
i trashed my 1.6 16v clio 3weeks ago and there is no way!!! on earth a 1.6 16 would beat my 182, arnt we forgetting the 182 is nearly 3 seconds quicker to 60!!!

0-60 means jack s**t in the real world. A 1.6 with the right driver in the righ circumstance, could out run a 182, though its unlikely.

M

mini-valver

i trashed my 1.6 16v clio 3weeks ago and there is no way!!! on earth a 1.6 16 would beat my 182, arnt we forgetting the 182 is nearly 3 seconds quicker to 60!!!

Thats not what I'm saying. The 182 IS the faster car, it goes without saying BUT if you were at 40 in 3rd coming off a roundabout and I was in 2nd in a 1.6, I'd have the legs on you and you'd have to be doing 80+ to pull any sort of convincing gap.

Rusty Cup
the one thing ive noticed about the 182 is, you are either driving it hard from 1st onwards or just cruise about, if your doing 30 in third n put your foot down nothing will happen until it hits 5k then it'll explode.

M

mini-valver

Exactly, its a quick car, theres no doubt about it. It's not the rocket ship people think though, wrong gear and you're fucked.

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Can relate to that [First post].
It's nothing special, and by no means fast, by my 1.6 often impresses me at times too still, even now and I've had it for two years.

110bhp per tonne ish' is pretty reasonable and most low end 1.6/1.8/2.0 petrol's can't really match that, i.e. Focuses/Mondeo's etc...

Mate at work has an Arctic B 182 and mines nowhere near as quick in a straight line, but handling wise it's not far behind at all and coming from a 1.1 Punto almost 3 years ago now, it still feels worlds faster.

With some good tyres and brakes on it, it's a good little machine.
I'd choose it over any other standard non-turbo 1.6 all day, simply for its nippi'ness and cornering ability, it's quite good fun too.
Still well chuffed with it and can't decide what to upgrade to, although there's loads out there that's easily quicker, for the same money and better all round quality no doubt.

Laguna 2, Westfield
Exactly, its a quick car, theres no doubt about it. It's not the rocket ship people think though, wrong gear and you're f**ked.

A Civic type R would be worse than the 182 then, wrong gear and you dont move, but i bet people on the civic sites dont think a low spec civic with 70bhp! less you keep up with the Type R.

The 0-100 times are so much diffrerent (got to be 8-10 seconds!)you would have to be a moron to loose, i havent driven a 1.6 but my old 1.4 16v clio (98bhp) used to take a week to get to 100, low speeds it was very good though (probably keep up with a 1.6 16v! clio) lol

very entertaining anyway :)

Yozza'd Titanium 182
has anyone noticed that all the narky nickers in this thread are all the people 25+ who own an RS And who are taking it far more seriously than everyone eles??

ok... you win... i don't actually care the RS is faster now just calm down.

rofl at me being a ginger tho

Ph1 & Ph2 172
a message from a narky nickers 25+ AND very childish...

my car is better than yours! deal with it.

end of game.:rasp:

MCS R56

Thats not what I'm saying. The 182 IS the faster car, it goes without saying BUT if you were at 40 in 3rd coming off a roundabout and I was in 2nd in a 1.6, I'd have the legs on you and you'd have to be doing 80+ to pull any sort of convincing gap.

Surely the 182 would change gear? A 1.6 Clio would leave a FQ400 in top gear at 60mph, so camparing what would happen in the wrong gear means nothing.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
coilovers and they will have a 172FF if properly driven! (FACT- done it)

Me and a friend have a stretch of road we both like and we thought we'd have a little go on it. He was infront first and i was bumper to bumper with him pretty much the whole time (except a few straight bits) I even had to back off going into corners cos he was braking.

We then drove the same bit of road and i started infront, no contest, he couldn't even get close to me.. on a few of the straights he was starting to catch me but next corner i was gone again!

your fucked if you come up against a 1.4 sport lupo on coils though!! haha

Last edited: