ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Impreza fans...what's this?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've been offered a drive in this thing...I know nothing at all when it comes to these but I believe it's quite a special one.

The owner's had it for 10 years now and it seems to be completely original...still running the factory exhaust.

What do I need to know about it? He said it's a type R...

IMG-20200706-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200706-WA0003.jpg

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Flipping lovely!!

Prices on these are going north - how much does he want for it?

That's either a v5 or a V6 Type R. The most desirable Impreza this side of a 22b.

What makes these special other than the light weight and nimble feel of all classics is the centre diff with 66% rear torque bias. The UK market P1 was based on these but didn't come with the diff.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
That's either a v5 or a V6 Type R. The most desirable Impreza this side of a 22b.

What makes these special other than the light weight and nimble feel of all classics is the centre diff with 66% rear torque bias. The UK market P1 was based on these but didn't come with the diff.

Not sure that's a version 5 or 6 rear spoiler , maybe a version 4

I have a version 5 that used to look like this

Had a carbon fibre WRC body kit fitted and sprayed Subaru blue

Love the early classic Impreza's

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Drove few classic scoobs over the years and they are great if you have a good one feel ultra small and light nowadays and old skool lag😁

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
Looks a cracking example and well cared for however the main weakness on the classics are rust on rear arches and rear suspension turrets. Even slight bubbling on the rear arches will indicate major work but not impossible.
Let us know how you get on, good luck!!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I'm sure it will be quite an experience. Obviously it will feel about a billion years old compared to the BMW, and probably not that quick by modern standards, but I imagine it will feel very raw too.

Always preferred the four-door Type RA to the Type-R, but I do still have a real soft spot for all classic Imprezas.

What's to elaborate on? It will feel old, wallowy, laggy and slow. I drove a WR1 a couple years back whilst i owned a Golf R and i thought the scooby was broken tbh.
It was a genuine question.

It's not for me to try to convince you otherwise. It is worth pointing out that a classic Impreza will feel very different to a WR1. But if you didn't like the WR1 you probably won't like an even older car.

FWIW I've driven a brand-new Mk7 Golf R for 800 miles across the Alps and found it competent but forgettable. It's a good thing we all like different things.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
It was a genuine question.

It's not for me to try to convince you otherwise. It is worth pointing out that a classic Impreza will feel very different to a WR1. But if you didn't like the WR1 you probably won't like an even older car.

FWIW I've driven a brand-new Mk7 Golf R for 800 miles across the Alps and found it competent but forgettable. It's a good thing we all like different things.
You have the wrong end of the stick. Ive had more jap imports than most people have had cars. I also think a Mk7 R is totally forgettable. Not saying the scooby doesn't have that feeling of specialness. Just saying when someone has been used to something modern and fast, then driving a stock 20+ year old jap car feels nothing like nostalgia would have you remember.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
There is a nostalgia thread to back up the theory. Regardless of speed I'd pay a few quid to sit in the car and start it. Tasty.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
I had a p1 back in the day and it was rapid.

Have an sti widetrack now and that's still quick but a lot heavier than p1.

1200kg and 280 bhp is still quick by any standards.

Once you are in boost and you rev it high enough you don't drop out if boost on gear changes.

You have the wrong end of the stick. Ive had more jap imports than most people have had cars. I also think a Mk7 R is totally forgettable. Not saying the scooby doesn't have that feeling of specialness. Just saying when someone has been used to something modern and fast, then driving a stock 20+ year old jap car feels nothing like nostalgia would have you remember.
Now I’m genuinely confused. If you’d said “it’s old and slow compared with more modern machinery” then I would understand. But you actually like old Japanese cars, you didn’t actually like the Golf R, but you also didn’t like the WR1 you drove and therefore a classic Impreza will be underwhelming? I’m not being argumentative, just missing the logic.

It’s pretty simple imo. If you like the way older cars drive, you’ll likely enjoy a classic Type R. If you prefer newer cars, you might not.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

What's to elaborate on? It will feel old, wallowy, laggy and slow. I drove a WR1 a couple years back whilst i owned a Golf R and i thought the scooby was broken tbh.

This is true, and yet, a Golf R is still less remarkable. So I suppose the question is what constitutes as exciting.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member

This is true, and yet, a Golf R is still less remarkable. So I suppose the question is what constitutes as exciting.
I agree! None of the old stuff is exciting to drive anymore imo. Not unless well modded. Went out driving my friends Evo 8 whilst he was mapping it. Circa 650hp and that was fairly exciting.