ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

In a position and need your opinon.

Mk4 .:R32
Hi guys, I need your opinion on a few things. I really want a 172 ff but theres a few things holding me back, just want to know what you would do in my situation.

Right, Iam 19 (20 this year) and currently drive a 04' 1.2 dynamique which I have had for coming up a year now. My insurance is coming up for renewal next month where i will recieve my first years NCB (Although i have been driving since i was 17, with no claims or convictions. but as a named driver)

Heres the bit iam stuck on, My insurance on the 1.2 is £1700 through Tesco ( :eek: i know lol), due to my mods and not having any NCB. Iam looking at getting a 172 soon and will have 1 years NCD, I have had a few quotes which are around the same (£1800) for a standard 172. Its alot of money i know and iam prepared to pay it, as i have been for the past year on my 1.2. There is also little loopholes such as me having a garage now to put my car in and doing low miles per year due to living on the IOW which will hopefully put the insurance down.

This is where i need your help:
  • Would you painfully stick with the 1.2 for another year, just to get cheaper insurance even though you can afford to do it now and just hope there will still be nice examples around?
I would also keep the 172 for a while so bieng 21 next year would also put the insurance down a fair bit, so in effect iam only paying a large amount for 1 year (providing i still have my NCD).
Petrol is not an issue as i only put £20 a week in the 1.2.
Sorry for the long read, but its been playing my mind for ages. I would just like to hear from people in the know.

Cheers Matt

RB 200 Cup!
buy one - end of really.

youll love it - i hummed and harred about getting one after my 1.6 and then i got a 2003 172ff in black - loved it and so glad i changed up

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
First off mate dont bank on insurance always being cheaper with age, just because you dint crash doesnt always neccesarily mean its going to be hundreads cheaper than before! If car crime hits an all time high then we all get it in the neck, people forget that un-insured drivers hitting all sorts costs everyone and anyone that has anything to do with car insurance!

25 is when you will notice a big drop in car insurance!

bt there not that bad for the fuel, alot better than i thought!

I was in your position, however I wasnt going to pay that amount for insurance and then even more once id lowered it etc.

I wouldnt bother.

Hummm...Argh Iam naff with deciding things like this. How much is tax for a 172? My 1.2 Is only on 24k miles and is giving me no problems at all (touch wood), Iam worried that i will get a 172 and then everything will go wrong with it lol.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hummm...Argh Iam naff with deciding things like this. How much is tax for a 172? My 1.2 Is only on 24k miles and is giving me no problems at all (touch wood), Iam worried that i will get a 172 and then everything will go wrong with it lol.

You've got RenTech more or less across the water - I wouldn't worry about the health of a 172 too much. :)

D.

You've got RenTech more or less across the water - I wouldn't worry about the health of a 172 too much. :)

D.

Ah thats good to know. Thanks mate.

if you can afford to get the 172, and live comfotably afterwards i dont see the harm in getting it, and £1.8k is an excellent price for insurance at 19 on a 172

i have chosen to do the opposite though, i have stuck with my 1.2 for nearly 2 years so i can get a much nicer car :)

Shed.
wish my quotes were showing up at that. im looking at 2.5k !! £500 deposit and 200ish a month there after.

thats what 3 points does to you though.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I would hold out for 1 more Year and Really Save as I'm sure you will want to Mod the 172 aswell which will then push your Premium up abit more.... Save for 6 more Months and then start searching more a Mint Car... All IMO of course

RB 200 Cup!
I would hold out for 1 more Year and Really Save as I'm sure you will want to Mod the 172 aswell which will then push your Premium up abit more.... Save for 6 more Months and then start searching more a Mint Car... All IMO of course

or just get finance eh? ;)

When I was 19 I had the same dilema over a 206 GTi (owned a 206 1.4 at the time) I really wanted the GTi, but ended up waiting until I was 21 to get it. It was a hard wait, but worth it in the end.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
if you have the money to buy the car plus insurance and road tax, plus a little bit more incase somethings breaks then id say definately go for it.
but dont put all your money into your car so you wont have enough money to go out and have a social life!

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Agree witth all above. If it will stop you haveing a laugh, going out etc then no! Also have you done a quote with one of your parents on the car? My Mum ha sa clean licence held for over 25 years odd and having her as a named driver reduced my quote by 100 or so...

Some good points there guys, thanks for replying. I think iam going to hold out for 1 more year. It might mean that i wont get as much for my 1.2 but in the long run the extra wait will be worth it, it also gives me an extra year of saving which cant be bad news. Its just that i am an impatent b**tard lol

Clio 172 mk2
Good move, the longer you stick it out the better, paying £1800 odd on insurance is complete insanity

if you can afford to get the 172, and live comfotably afterwards i dont see the harm in getting it, and £1.8k is an excellent price for insurance at 19 on a 172

i have chosen to do the opposite though, i have stuck with my 1.2 for nearly 2 years so i can get a much nicer car :)

I'm 19 with a claim and I'm only paying 1200 fc.

try bell.co.uk :D

edit: or better still, get a sex change ;)

I'm 19 with a claim and I'm only paying 1200 fc.

try bell.co.uk :D

edit: or better still, get a sex change ;)

Lol, that quote i got was on Bell. £1200, Grr it annoys me how you girls get it soo cheap. :dapprove:

I waited until the insurance was less than £500.

Being old and tight ftw.

No way would I be paying £2500. Its only a clio ffs.

Now if it was a v6. Maybe, but thats special.

Shed.
anything to rid me of the 1.2

Besides i doubt my parents will actually let me pay 2500 for insurance. Thats what 3 points does to you i guess ;)

Put it this way. if i can, i will. Because it wont break me.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Besides i doubt my parents will actually let me pay 2500 for insurance. Thats what 3 points does to you i guess ;)

Are they paying for the running of your car?:S

1 Series Coupe
I'm 19, 2yncb. I have just made the step from my 1.2 Dynamique to a RS 182.. As above, if you can afford to do it... Go for it! You'll love it!

182 & Porsche 986
me same, i'm 19 just turned 20 and only just got a 172 from a 1.2 and one year ncb, insurance wasn't as high as that but i am female ;)
best move i did really enjoying my 172 go for it if you can afford it.

Shed.

No definately not, i paid for my first car and i paid for most of my current one, i must admit alot of it was both my bday and xmas present money. I pay my own insurance and petrol and everything else, tyres the lot. Trouble is though i think my dad legally owns the car and not me even though i paid for it. Think that was mainly due to being a named driver at the time and so it was wiser for him to but it.

Only problem im guna have is that they wont let me spend that on insurance and they wont want me driving around in a car which is faster than their 240bhp merc. yeah, it might be my money but i live under their roof etc etc you know how it is lol.

wish my quotes were showing up at that. im looking at 2.5k !! £500 deposit and 200ish a month there after.

thats what 3 points does to you though.

Funking hell! :eek:

I guess my £1.8k quote for a 360bhp Evo VI isn't so bad then? Even more so because we're in a Category F postcode.

D.

yer. 20, 3 points and no NCB's because my mum renewed my insurance this year without asking me and 2 years driving experience. It is only £490 tho.

Clio 172 Cup
Follow your heart not your head :evil:

You can have one for a few months then downgrade if it's costing too much. you will probably lose a bit if you do but hey, it's only money and you can earn some more. At least you will have had what you wanted. Don't mod it, it doesn't need it and you won't be wasting yor money making your insurance premium unbearable.
Buy a Cup if you want the extra performance/looks (my opinion only:quiet:)

Lifes too short to think about making decisions. Just do it.

P.S My insurance is £450 a year fully comp including breakdown and european cover :rasp:

Shed.
Follow your heart not your head :evil:

You can have one for a few months then downgrade if it's costing too much. you will probably lose a bit if you do but hey, it's only money and you can earn some more. At least you will have had what you wanted. Don't mod it, it doesn't need it and you won't be wasting yor money making your insurance premium unbearable.
Buy a Cup if you want the extra performance/looks (my opinion only:quiet:)

Lifes too short to think about making decisions. Just do it.

P.S My insurance is £450 a year fully comp including breakdown and european cover :rasp:

lol!! old git :p

Yer, like i said, if i can, i will. I seriously doubt its guna break the bank now. And ill go on wanting one untill ive got one lol i think theyre fantastic cars and i love clios, doubt i will drive different cars untill the mk2ph2 becomes too old and ill need to look at the 197 which im not really sure about.... Just wanna find one with both belts done recently so i dont have to worry about it for a while.

OH ANOTHER thing about the parents. Going from an 05 plate 1.2 with 21.5k on the clock.....to a 52-53 plate with 40k+ on the clock.....hmmmm. I know the engines are solid as a rock but they wont lol.

And about the mechanical side of things, i can change things quite easily so long as its not engine related but ive got a good friend whos a mechanic and im sure he will sort stuff out for me for a small fee.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

No definately not, i paid for my first car and i paid for most of my current one, i must admit alot of it was both my bday and xmas present money. I pay my own insurance and petrol and everything else, tyres the lot. Trouble is though i think my dad legally owns the car and not me even though i paid for it. Think that was mainly due to being a named driver at the time and so it was wiser for him to but it.

Only problem im guna have is that they wont let me spend that on insurance and they wont want me driving around in a car which is faster than their 240bhp merc. yeah, it might be my money but i live under their roof etc etc you know how it is lol.

You gotta spread your wings boyo! Nothing better than getting your own gaff...

Speaking to my uncle a few weeks ago he said..

"do you not miss living at home?"

Me, "Well if call having ice lollies and beer for breakfast, then yes, i am most definatley heartbroken lol"

I used to hate my old boys lectures, own gaff ftw!

Clio 172 mk2
I waited until the insurance was less than £500.

Being old and tight ftw.

No way would I be paying £2500. Its only a clio ffs.

Now if it was a v6. Maybe, but thats special.

+1

Now I wouldn't pay over £500 for insurance on any car

Hard up and a tightwad describes my situation