ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IN GEAR POWER OR STRAIGHT FORWARD SPEED

many people on here have a 1.6 or above, so to u i am asking, wot is more important to u, being able to accelerate hard in every gear and get top speeds and quickest 0-60 or the fact that the engine gives in gear power to accelerate if needed?

lots will say quickest speeds which i do enjoy but on a general use, ive found with my 2.0 that i value more having in gear speed

opinions please...

Jay

WRX Sti

Top speed dont interest me,if yours car pulls hard in the mid-range its more usefull on a decent a-road.I always like to see how strong the pull is in 3rd gear to compare cars.The willy is pretty gud in that respect.

4th gear was the gear I loved in the Cup - it just pulled quickly all the way to the red line!!! Felt better than 3rd in a lot of other cars ive driven!! LOL

BMW 320d Sport

You kind of cant have one without the other. A car that pulls well through the gears will have a decent top speed anyway. Something that struggles most of the time is not going to have a whacking great top speed. At least not if its a normal car.

The sort of compromises that youre talking about here tend to be things that worry you if your car is fairly small engined and short geared to compensate. A 2.0 litre is big enough not to really have to worry about it.

yea true-didnt really think about the topic wen started it

but u can buy cars that dont go fast fast but do have in gear speed, mainly diesels mind u

I owudl much rther have the acceleration rather than the high top speed, lets face it just how often are you going to go over 100? Most 1.2s will do 100

Volvo S60 D5

Not a Clio, but have you ever driven a Volvo T5 ?

Awesome in gear acceleration, especially to the redline in 3rd and 4th!! I should be picking up an S70 T5 later this week. 240bhp & 330NM as standard :) It does 155mph and 0-60 is done in 6.8s mmm!

Im sorry its slightly OT, but Im excited :)

Clio1400

WRX Sti

Yeah my mums got an 850t5, ive had a go in it a couple of times,your right about the mid range ,breaks a ton in 3rd 2.

Nippy white cup

Definately in gear. As CUP80Y says, 4th gear is a very good gear, from 80/90 all the way to 125 it pulls really well and if you havent won by then , it aint really worth keeping going.

Chris

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 15 March 2004

You kind of cant have one without the other. A car that pulls well through the gears will have a decent top speed anyway. Something that struggles most of the time is not going to have a whacking great top speed. At least not if its a normal car.

The sort of compromises that youre talking about here tend to be things that worry you if your car is fairly small engined and short geared to compensate. A 2.0 litre is big enough not to really have to worry about it.

u can have one without the other new rx8 apparently has sh*t in gear accelaration as do v tecs they go when thrashed to the full rev range but low down in the revs the torque is sh*t (similer to a valver) a turbo motor will develop peak torque at about 3000 revs and will have the same level of accelaration till it redlines makin it not only a beast but a pleasure to drive and that is in gear accelaration vs top whack. my 5 has good in gear accelaration but has a sh*te top speed!