ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Incident with HGV curbed my alloys - what can i do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 2.0 138hp

This happened on Monday. You can see from the video he just indicated and pulled straight over into my lane. Luckily i managed to scrub enough speed off to avoid getting wiped out. But i did bump the curb in the process and its taken some nasty digs out of my alloys. What can i do about this ? Do i go direct to them and complain or do i go to my insurance ? The alloys had some light scuffs on them from the previous owner but they were only paint deep, but the new digs are much deeper and go all around the alloys.

Someone must have had something similar happen, what do you recommend i do ?

P.s. ive removed the sound from the video, lots of swearing as you can imagine

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
The company won’t pay out so you’ll have to go through insurance which will end up costing you £100s in the long run.

I’d just get them refurbed especially as they were already kerbed.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Not worth the hassle of insurance. So best option is to write a letter explaining the situation with footage and requesting that they cover the cost of the refurb (get some quotes and pictures). Nothing to lose by trying.

Clio 2.0 138hp
The company won’t pay out so you’ll have to go through insurance which will end up costing you £100s in the long run.

I’d just get them refurbed especially as they were already kerbed.
Thats what i feared would be the outcome. I'd have to pay to have my car repaired all because some tool can just use his mirrors.
Safe to say i am not pleased, but at least he didnt wipe the whole car off i guess, look on the bright side

Clio 2.0 138hp
Not worth the hassle of insurance. So best option is to write a letter explaining the situation with footage and requesting that they cover the cost of the refurb (get some quotes and pictures). Nothing to lose by trying.
Thats what im going to try. Funny thing is, they are based a stones throw from my back door, might go round there with 3 or 4 mates that are 6 foot wide and demand payment :)
Cheers for the advice tho all

182 clio
the driver is at fault complain.
He forced you off the road resulting in damage to your car provide footage to police. Due care and attention.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
the driver is at fault complain.
He forced you off the road resulting in damage to your car provide footage to police. Due care and attention.

They won’t prosecute for that as nobody was injured. They’ll just ensure that section 170 is complied with.

Every accident on the road is someone’s fault and if the police investigated each one there’d be none left to catch the ‘burglars and kiddy fiddlers’.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
That's why you don't sit in an hgvs blindspot 😂

I won't sit alongside them anywhere along their length, on the inside or outside. You have zero options if something like this happens and you're relying 100% on their observations skills to make sure it won't.

I'd try whatever you can with the firm, you might get lucky, any reasonable person can see they're totally at fault there...but make something good of it yourself and learn from the experience!

Clio 2.0 138hp
That's why you don't sit in an hgvs blindspot 😂
1st of all, nowhere in my post did i ask for some dickhead to comment a smart remark. So go back to lurking on the internet and keep your nose out
2nd, if you knew the road you would know that the lane i was in is for turning left and does not allow you to go straight on until further up the road. This is due to recent road works to ease traffic in the area. So regardless of whether i was in his blind spot of not, he shouldn't have pulled across on me. Not unless the highway code has changed recently to "do whatever you want"
3rd, if he had checked his mirrors not a second before he would know there was a car there. Im assuming from your attitude that you like to drive with your mirrors folded in. So when you hit somebody you can just claim " He was in my blindspot". Of course he was, everywhere is your blindspot
Unless you have some useful advice, please be so kind and leave

Clio 2.0 138hp
I won't sit alongside them anywhere along their length, on the inside or outside. You have zero options if something like this happens and you're relying 100% on their observations skills to make sure it won't.

I'd try whatever you can with the firm, you might get lucky, any reasonable person can see they're totally at fault there...but make something good of it yourself and learn from the experience!
Thats my problem. His observation skills are non-existent. I dont normally sit anywhere near them. But considering he shouldn't even be pulling into my lane to go straight on i didnt think twice about it. The left lane has been made to go left only until you clear the exit. Recent road works to ease traffic

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I assume you have never drove or been in a lorry before?
You were just in front on the front corner of the cab therefore he would struggle to see you with a quick glance for lane changing, it looked like he started to swerve back over with his second glance but the trailer was already passed you at that point.
Your comment "if you knew the road" to jackJack the driver probably does not maybe his first time down that section of road?

Your best option is to email the company and hoe they will help with the cost of the refurb.

Clio 2.0 138hp
I assume you have never drove or been in a lorry before?
You were just in front on the front corner of the cab therefore he would struggle to see you with a quick glance for lane changing, it looked like he started to swerve back over with his second glance but the trailer was already passed you at that point.
Your comment "if you knew the road" to jackJack the driver probably does not maybe his first time down that section of road?

Your best option is to email the company and hoe they will help with the cost of the refurb.
I have as it happens and several large vans too.
When he pulled over on me my nose was actually level with the front of his cab, but for most of the clip my nose i actually a lot further back than it seems. And i know that large vehicles have blindspot mirrors that he would have seen me in.
My comment about knowing the road was directed at the clever bloke with his silly comment to be honest. Regardless of whether anyone knows the road or not, you can see on the signs that my lane is for going left. And its just general driving practice to not indicate as you pull out on someone. I thought indicators were to let other know your intentions, not warn you they are going to just pull into you.
Ive emailed them already but i know the company have a bad reputation. Mostly Polish drivers that get rushed through their driver programe and the company just ignore complaints. i know a few drivers who have complained about them.

Clio 2.0 138hp
Anyone else want to comment about being sat in a blind spot. Anyone else want to read the previous comments about it being a LEFT TURN LANE. Anyone else want to read the highway code about indicating before changing lanes, checking blind spots before moving, being in the correct lane, and checking mirrors often and being aware of where other vehicles are.
Any more stupid comments on offer ??

Clio 2.0 138hp
chill out, just because people see it from a different perspective.
People dont read other comments before jumping straight to the exact same conclusion. I'm fed up of typing the same thing. If I type if it capitals they cant miss it

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
This is CS, you were obviously trying far to fast for the conditions.
Should have instant reactions, should have come to the same agreement as someone who’s watched it 5 times and knew it was going to happen.

But seriously it’s just crap thing that’s happened, while technically the HGVS fault it’s pretty common knowledge not to hang around the sides of HGVS.

Clio 2.0 138hp
This is CS, you were obviously trying far to fast for the conditions.
Should have instant reactions, should have come to the same agreement as someone who’s watched it 5 times and knew it was going to happen.

But seriously it’s just crap thing that’s happened, while technically the HGVS fault it’s pretty common knowledge not to hang around the sides of HGVS.
Did you even read anything written above? Serious question
Has anybody read anything written above or do you all just jump straight to the reply box. I genuinely want to know now.
I want to know why everybody has failed to understand that a left turn lane is not for going straight on. The lanes have been recently changed to make sure everybody turning left can do so without waiting for the ones going straight on. Why no one can see that i do not know

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think you’re just making yourself silly with your attitude in this thread to be honest.

In answer to your question. Phone your insurance company.

182 clio
do you feel better or worse for posting and getting the response you have?
think positively no one was hurt now imagine that was a cyclist or someone riding a bike..

Reactions: DrR
  dan's cast offs.
1567551781599.png

182 clio
Dont change careers
I'm not trying to upset you I was merely pointing out it could have been Alot worse. I totally agree with you you done nothing wrong. maybe the police should take more notice of these situations and solve many serious injurys it even deaths. I understand you're frustrated. Happened to me before I took it the full road and offender was charged with due care 9 points 500 fine. Professional drivers should always be one step ahead of the average driver. An clearly he went in the wrong lane. Report it I say and report the station that says nothing we can do due to catching robbers an kiddy snatchers.
Here is a question for you..
if a drunk driver has no crashes gets home safe but there is video footage to support being drunk would that merit a charge or to be reported?

Clio 2.0 138hp
I'm not trying to upset you I was merely pointing out it could have been Alot worse. I totally agree with you you done nothing wrong. maybe the police should take more notice of these situations and solve many serious injurys it even deaths. I understand you're frustrated. Happened to me before I took it the full road and offender was charged with due care 9 points 500 fine. Professional drivers should always be one step ahead of the average driver. An clearly he went in the wrong lane. Report it I say and report the station that says nothing we can do due to catching robbers an kiddy snatchers.
if a drunk driver has no crashes gets home safe but there is video footage to support being drunk would that merit a charge or to be reported?
Finally, someone with some sense. All I wanted was someone who has had something similar happen to them to tell me how they got on wiht sorting it out.

I think that we should be able to send footage to the police somehow and something gets done. Even if it just gets reported to the company. The number of times things like this happen and it goes un resolved is stupid. Professional drivers are the worst. Surely there is a way of getting rid of blind spots with all the tech we have now. It's getting more and more dangerous on the roads every day. Especially with people like the ones on here who just blame everything on blind spots.
But thank you for your advice on a positive note

Clio 2.0 138hp
Oh and yes. I do think they should be charged. Drink drivers are one of my pet hates. It's not normally their own lives they ruin, it's the people they hit.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Probably not the best position to put yourself in on the road tbh. Before it even happened just watching the video I said to myself that's the last place I'd want to be up against a lorry especially coming off a roundabout.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned imo and if the wheels were already curbed it's not really the end of the world. A refurb doesn't cost much. No harm in trying your luck with the company but maybe not act as hostile as you have been in this thread if you expect to get anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.