ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Increasingly finding myself growing bored of the Clio..

Rusty Cup
Its a sad day but i dont think i see what i used to see in the clio anymore, sure it does what it does and what it does it does well but recently ive found myself scouring the internet for information on the Integra dc5 type r and the more i read the more i want one.

Can anyone think of a better car to move onto from the clio?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm bored of mine but there is nothing that's as good all round package.

Rusty Cup
Yea i know what you mean the clio ticks alot of boxs but i think for me it might be time for something different within the next year for sure.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Got it in 1! 2 of the biggest let downs in the 182.

I got bored, got rid and haven't looked back tbh...

But they make up for it in other areas. I'm sure the Audi isn't as much fun to punt down a b road.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
And if your really bothered about seats they are easy to change.

As for the box, thats more difficult but i hear the powerflex dogbone helps? Still quite a long shift though. I've never owned a hot hatch before so to me the box is the best I have owned.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Gearbox is worst I've used in any car I've driven. Notchy s**te tbh.

The long shift is fine, doesn't bother me.

And it's not the seats, it's where everything is in relation.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Its a sad day but i dont think i see what i used to see in the clio anymore, sure it does what it does and what it does it does well but recently ive found myself scouring the internet for information on the Integra dc5 type r and the more i read the more i want one.

Depends on budget. Mk2 FRS, Clio 200, E46
CSL..etc ;)

535d / t5 caravelle
mod your car? or is it already modded? throttle boddies :), that will bring back the excitment i'm sure

Nissan 350z

The grass is always greener on the other side :S

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
With the powerflex dogbone I don't find the gearbox that bad. Stick feels much less sloppy and slips into gear fine and all the ratios seem to work well. The seat is a little high but other than that its not to bad imo. Not sure a dc5 would offer a great step up in performance!

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
There is nothing wrong with moving on. Beaware though, having owned rev happy japs (Suzuki Swift Sport, Civic Type-R), you will get bored of wringing their neck for the performance that the Clio gives you from 3000rpm. Not many htaches have that good a gear change anyway. Swift was the best, but had an evilly high driving position (didn't stop me having 2 though!!)

Alternatively, keep the Clio and get something cheap and exciting like a 205 Gti or similar. Easy to maintain and good ones under a grand.

If you want a good gear change though you have to move up the price range into the premium/younger cars.

Gay Clio 172 phs1
Sell it and get a DC5, I bought a phs1 with itbs last week already thinking about selling it ;)

Rusty Cup
Ive had the car 3 years and it got coilovers the first month i owned it exhaust, induction kit, rstuner, 15's, racing battery, camber bolts, subs put in... subs taken out all happened shortly after. I have no plans to mod the clio any further i cant bring myself to spend thousands on itb etc, its not the power im tired of i still find it fast enough i jst never use any of the power anymore my car hasnt seen the rev limiter for weeks..

Maybe i'll become un-bored of it and we'll have another good few years together, but for now i wish it was an integra dc5 type r!!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yeah but would you use all the revs in that . Get in a 1.2 for a few weeks then back in toe clio and i bet you love it again :)

Ive had the car 3 years and it got coilovers the first month i owned it exhaust, induction kit, rstuner, 15's, racing battery, camber bolts, subs put in... subs taken out all happened shortly after. I have no plans to mod the clio any further i cant bring myself to spend thousands on itb etc, its not the power im tired of i still find it fast enough i jst never use any of the power anymore my car hasnt seen the rev limiter for weeks..

Maybe i'll become un-bored of it and we'll have another good few years together, but for now i wish it was an integra dc5 type r!!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So you haven't hit the limiter for weeks in the clio and its fast enough... will a dc5 solve that?
Sounds to me like you just need to take it for a good thrash or 2 rather than getting a new car.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
i was bored of mine after 2 weeks :( but for the price i got it for and what iv spent on it theres no point selling it... Im thinking of just getting a small diesel and keeping the clio as a weekend car tbh

Rusty Cup
So you haven't hit the limiter for weeks in the clio and its fast enough... will a dc5 solve that?
Sounds to me like you just need to take it for a good thrash or 2 rather than getting a new car.

Doesnt matter how fast i drive the car it'll still be a ropey peice of french s**t, i nearly needed the engine rebuilding last week i wonder what joys it'll bring me next week!!

Cooper S? few mods and your packing 200+bhp with the torque from the supercharger. Very well put together cars and the gear box is like heaven. Still though they are a bit of a marmite car.

Clio 182
I am going to get a 330ci M Sport when I get some money in after the new year, probably regret it, but always wanted one and bought something else, 530, then a TT, then a 325 salon.

I do like the 182 though....

Listerine & Poledo
That dash looks awful!!

when headbutting that 8k limimter, I doubt you'd be looking at the dash too much! :)
as Daz said, the seats do make up for it.

Oh, and you can (probably) punish a Honda 24/7 and it'll never spit the dummy, or destroy its own gearbox just by being used.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
There is nothing wrong with moving on. Beaware though, having owned rev happy japs (Suzuki Swift Sport, Civic Type-R), you will get bored of wringing their neck for the performance that the Clio gives you from 3000rpm. Not many htaches have that good a gear change anyway. Swift was the best, but had an evilly high driving position (didn't stop me having 2 though!!)

Alternatively, keep the Clio and get something cheap and exciting like a 205 Gti or similar. Easy to maintain and good ones under a grand.

If you want a good gear change though you have to move up the price range into the premium/younger cars.

I agree with this sooo hard! I had a SSS before my clio and although it was ace to throw round...arguably as good to corner as the 182 you had to wring its tinny little jap neck for some real power that the clio oozes at lower revs!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
But the suzuki had a gear box which means you can wring it's neck, the 182 does not,

182 yeah i'm doing 7kRPM, then by the time you've changed gear (in a none gearbox breaking way) the engine has dropped down to tickover nearly, then you bring the clutch back up and the engine screams back up the revs, toss.

Iceberg 172
The DC5 is a great car... probably my favourite FWD car of all. I've driven quite a few and a mate had one for a long time.

BUT... they don't really do anything that much better than the clio does... well, they do but not enough to warrant the extra ££££'s.

They're awesome fun, the LSD, the seats, the gearbox, the engine... all great but it's pretty similar to the clio in the way it does it's business.

I'd want a lot more for my money.

Nissan 350Z
I went from a 182 to a DC2, and I did find the latter a better car overall. It seemed to handle better, had a much better engine note, and just felt more special, more of an event, thanks to its looks and its excellent driving position and seats. Didn't really cost any more to run, either.

Iceberg 172
I went from a 182 to a DC2, and I did find the latter a better car overall. It seemed to handle better, had a much better engine note, and just felt more special, more of an event, thanks to its looks and its excellent driving position and seats. Didn't really cost any more to run, either.

DC2 is a lot older though... Insurance is definately more. But you're right... much more special.

Another friend of mine had a 96 spec one (JDM ofcourse) and that was amazingly fun to drive. This was back when I was 18 and I had a remapped Ibiza Cupra but I loved swapping cars with him for a quick blast!

Only problem with the DC2 is the plastic tastic dash etc... but then it's stupidly light considering the power and was quite quick... handled well too.

200 Cup & DC2
The DC5 is a great car and much better than a 182 in my opinion. Engine and gearbox are superb, interior is a nicer place to be etc. Insurance is a little steep though. A slightly more diluted driving experience compared to the DC2 but as a road car, better.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Having owned 11 (someone shoot me) Clio RS's, and selling every single one of them because I fancied a change, I know where you're coming from.

However, I sold the clios and bought Subaru, Evo, M3 Evo, 300zx tt, Toyota Mr2, Jag 6.0 V12, Ibiza 20vt, Golf Gti 1.8T....... And got bored. Quickly.

I just think as an all round package, the CLios cannot be beaten for what they cost.

I think i've realised I was looking for something that didn't exist! Something fast, relatively good on fuel, cheap to run, reliable, practical, Scrares passengers, beats stuff off the lights..... Unfortunately, finding all of that in one car just isn't possible. (it has taken me ten years and £££'s to realise this btw! lol)

Stripped yozza'd cup
I love my Clio.... But Given the choice, I'd have the dc5.

Or maybe a dc2 and spend the $$$ I saved on a supercharger :)

Just a bit more special than the Clio.

Daniel.... 335d. Ticks all of those.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Would you ever go back to any of the others Dan? (like you have with clios). Or with the evo's and subaru's is it a case of once you have tried them, that's the itch scratched?

have often wondered about "upgrading" to an evo, but the 182 is fast enough for me and don't fancy the thirst of the evo's.