ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kit issues

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I've recently fitted Ktec's induction kit. Initial thoughts are it's fantastic. It sounds mega on full throttle and looks tidy in the engine bay. I'd even say it's sharpened up throttle response.

But after a few days I've started to notice that the top end of the rev-band feels a little strangled compared with the standard airbox I ran before this. The car will rev all the way to the limiter, but power seems to die well before 7000rpm, where as I remember the engine would pull strongly all the way up to the red line.

It's essentially meant that revving the engine beyond 6300rpm feels pointless now as power is clearly not there. I'm not saying the Ktec kit isn't effective, there are dozens of power graphs on CS proving the system works. But in my 111,000 mile old, standard (aside from a Yozzasport catback) 182, it seems to have hindered performance up top.

Anyone else have this issue and know of any potential reasons? Here's a pic of the kit fitted to prove it's not fitted upside-down (please tell me it's not...). I honestly believe the kit should bring power, I've been driven in other Clios with the same kit and agree power felt at least as strong as standard. Any ideas?
B-YLyGpIQAAO2tW.jpg

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Update: Could it be a Lambda issue? The only other thing I can think of is that the kit seems to sit very close to the battery, and as such, is being pinched ever-so-slightly on the first bend exiting the throttle body.

Could a tiny pinch really make that much of a difference?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Update: Could it be a Lambda issue? The only other thing I can think of is that the kit seems to sit very close to the battery, and as such, is being pinched ever-so-slightly on the first bend exiting the throttle body.

Could a tiny pinch really make that much of a difference?

I doubt it. A few people have said that you can cut about 1cm off the end of tube (throttle body side) to make it fit better and stop any rubbing.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I might give that a try, but suspect I'll be booking the car into a rolling road to do a back-to-back test with standard v Ktec kits. Sounds mega so I refuse to give up and just switch back to standard!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Take it to Surrey Rolling Road if you can and get a decent assessment of the difference. They do £40 Saturdays every now and then.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Thanks for the recommendation. Having seen so many printouts that prove the Ktec system brings - albeit tiny ones - gains to power, I'm hopeful I can source the problem to something elsewhere. Something cheap preferably!