ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction kits shorten engine lifespan??

clio sport 182
Thinking about getting an induction kit for my 182 but due to the fact they don't use paper filters and you have to use a oil based spray with the filter on most of them to keep out fine particles would it shorten lifespan of engine??

I'm tempted for the bhp gains and the sound but at the same time this plays on my mind because it makes you wonder why don't car manufacturers use these kits as standard?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
No, and be careful which one you choose do some reading because not all give gains. some actually reduce performance

as for car companies not using them, they are more expensive to to develop/manufacture for little / no gain. Airbox and OEM filter work perfectly well.

clio sport 182
True i guess just wondering why they give you a spray to coat the foam filter with.

Was thinking about getting the JMS road version? Any good??

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
The spray is just a cleaner, because normally you throw the paper filter in the bin and replace it. With the foam ones you clean them instead or replacing them.

Do some reading there a sticky where fastcar did some testing on fliters.

this

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=445339

Doesnt include all filters on the market but gives some info.

Lionel Richie
If i said the major aftermarket manufactures such as

ITG
K&N
BMC
Piper X
Green

etc etc

are all used by F1, WRC, BTCC etc

they'll be 100% fine on a road car

I now favour ITG, after running one of their cone filters on my car and doing a wee bit of testing with *****tastic results

a thirsty one
^ agree i put an itg panel filter in but switched to a k+n panel filter

however having seen freds run i fancy a change but need to sort out locationg my filter to his location, there is s**t in the way at the minute.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the problems arise when they need cleaning, people never do it properly so you end up with little protection for your engine, im back to using OE paper filters, far cheaper and the gains from the other type are only a few bhp at very best

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Standard all the way! Car companys wpuld only use something the didnt have any wories about in terms of letting s**t get in an engine.i wouldnt wast the money, could be used to service the car/ change oil which is more important than pretty air filters

RS RIP
mine surprisingly GAINED hp when i put in a paper oem filter :approve: .. before+after proof on RR (mind you i lost the 90degree elbow at the same time + the filterbox was placed directly on the TB)

Got sick of the filthy oily ITG .. Clio Cup racers use paper ones aswell i've been told; although this was more a budget issue. Nothing wrong with paper

Focus ST
As has been said an induction kit isnt always the best way forward for your car. At the end of the day it depends on what you are looking for. If your chasing bhp figures then is the air box really that much of a restriction? If your looking for more noise then an induction kit is propably your path.

ClioSport 172 Cup
Hi Fred,

Which ITG cone filter have you been running with fantastic results?? Better results than the V6 airbox and ITG element????

cheers,

Samuel

PH1 172 Sport
If i said the major aftermarket manufactures such as

ITG
K&N
BMC
Piper X
Green

etc etc

are all used by F1, WRC, BTCC etc

they'll be 100% fine on a road car

I now favour ITG, after running one of their cone filters on my car and doing a wee bit of testing with *****tastic results

Any chance of some pic's?