ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inferno fix up

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
I’m about finished with my mini r53 project I bought back in March and it will be going up for sale this week. I’ve always got my eye on cheap clios and with some good timing a few cheap clios came up that peaked my interest.

First one was a racing blue but it was a few hundred miles away and had a few issues. And was £2500. I love racing blue but as something just to do up I thought it would come out at a loss.

Then a few days later a poorly advertised inferno came up in Glasgow. Listed at £2000 but it had some nice wheels and I was sure I seen it advertised before so maybe I could get it cheap. Here is the photos and advert.

1c811cf93b7640893e4b40ba170d0d74.jpg

7f53a0e5fff782f1f9e5bfd539d806f7.jpg

98ecae607c311dffba99ab539bd795c2.jpg

6b446fdec544689a8284becd9ec66906.jpg

8c5626458d274d4b25c7d45f9534d961.jpg

100% the worst sale of a car I’ve experienced but I wasn’t bothered.
Asked for photos of the interior: “I don’t have any but it’s mint mate”.
Turned up to view it and the seller had to pop out just before so I had to wait about. I was with the wife and 2 daughters and there was a play park so we hung about there for a bit. Then I got to see the car. I knew it had a new starter the week before to try and resolve the starting fault but it wouldn’t start.

Here is my translation of the ad:

Cosmetically great. (It’s got a cracked front bumper)

Brakes are ok (they work, but the pedal jumps about
like an ABS fault all the time).

Ignition fault. I think he meant starting fault. But it bump started fine.

That’s the bad bits.

But there is some potential and some good bits.

1) goes brilliant. (Well actually it does go quite well. Engine feels healthy. Clean oil. Gearbox is perfect. Clutch feels ok as well.
2) interior is actually ok. Needs a good clean, standard steering wheel and gear knob insert.
3) it was cheap. The guy was keen to get rid so I got it for £1400 with the speedline wheels I would consider that a decent buy.
4) wheels are in good condition. I’ve put theee up for sale already. I’ll prob put the car back to standard.

So deal done I drive the car 30 miles home without issue.

So on to the plan. I got the car back Saturday and just Parked it up at my unit. I had a busy weekend and it had already taken half a day to buy the bloody thing.

I got a good look at it last night. I took the wheels off and had a look at the brakes.

52989f6f192d7466607b57963881c9eb.jpg

e1f7b642f0ba13dd3e8e244ee3ed58a2.jpg

f9d3552e1d8a8eb43f799b0f1895d670.jpg

Having gave it a look around I’m pretty happy. I think the brakes are just a warped disc. They all look in ok condition and I recon maybe only 10k miles on them looking at the MOT history but I’ll check with a DTI and see if that’s the issue. There are no abs lights so don’t think it’s that. The rear drivers side callipers is tight as well so this might be the cause.

I’ll update the plan as I go along. Still undecided but a cheap standard inferno is the aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Nice purchase.

My ABS used to cut in under 30mph when one of the ABS rings had a crack in it.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
That's a proper good purchase. Just remember you've posted what you paid when you advertise it on here at £4k in 6 months time though [emoji23].

Yeah I did debate with myself about putting the prices up. But there are no shortcuts here and if I make £1000 profit it would be hard earned that’s for sure.

Wonder what people’s opinions are on the route the car shout go. It’s got some cheap static damping coilovers on it, an aftermarket air filter, scorpion exhaust and the speed lines obviously. But it’s standard otherwise. It’s also a non cup pack car.

Do I go standard including suspension and wheels?

Give it a cup appearance pack (I’ve got a spare spoiler I could paint). Maybe even grey wheels, I think they suit it better.

Or keep it slightly modified?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That is a real bargain! Especially with the Speedline wheels. Cup shocks with eibach sportlines or similar, set of 182 wheels or Turinis, Cup spoiler, although I quite like the standard ones and all the usual maintenance stuff. I am a bit bias though...
20200813_180410.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
That is a real bargain! Especially with the Speedline wheels. Cup shocks with eibach sportlines or similar, set of 182 wheels or Turinis, Cup spoiler, although I quite like the standard ones and all the usual maintenance stuff. I am a bit bias though... View attachment 1503170

Yeah I’ll have a think on it.

I think if I was going standard I would still go with dark grey 182 wheels. Don’t think inferno suits the silver wheels.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I actually really like the standard 182 wheels in Anthracite. Seem to suit the 182.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
5d0613addc33efed67eef7684a5b4342.png

These are the wheels I’ve bought from a mate. Only issue is he is in Aberdeen area and I’m not supposed to drive outside of West Lothian during current restrictions. It’s about 2:30 drive and I was going to take the family a day out. I might just need to courier them but was hoping to avoid that.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
So there has been a bit
of progress with this recently.

First of all I’ve changed the front brakes. Still have the odd braking fault but they needed done anyway as they were slightly warped.

0f12823826f4562dcf47a3af605c6966.jpg

cc6e36956ab7963fb58400327beedb87.jpg

Then today I started the cam belt change. A few things discovered while doing the job.

The timing was out slightly. So good job I’ve checked.

The belt doesn’t look that old. But I’ll change it anyway.

The aircon pipes have been punctured. And this brings me to my next question.

Do I:

1) just replace the belt, leave the aircon in place.

2) fix the aircon as well. I’ll need to source second hand pipes and a new condenser rad. Possibly swap the compressor out as well (it had some loose wires)

3) go for a cup alternator setup. I’ve found one local from a guy breaking a track car.

Interested in opinions. I don’t thing the aircon would be missed. I think the cup setup and fixing the aircon fully would but come out the more expensive options but I don’t like cutting corners on this stuff.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Did the guy bother to mention that to you?

Looks like they've tried to bodge it and make it look less s**t because they've zipped the upper angle off completely 😂

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Did the guy bother to mention that to you?

Looks like they've tried to bodge it and make it look less s**t because they've zipped the upper angle off completely [emoji23]

He didn’t need to and you will see from the first post it’s pretty obvious with the cracked bumper and the front end alignment was all over the place.

Good thing is it’s a pretty easy fix. The chassis legs are straight. I’ll straighten up the crash bar. Paint it. I’ve got another bumper lined up and I’ll get a new grill. It’s going in for the passenger wing bumper and cup spoiler to be painted.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
More work done tonight. Belts off and the timing tool located correctly.

68a8bc6b3245c80965e0a733dd97bbfb.jpg

9a3aff96843d648677214cbb943b9437.jpg

3d3213ba403d0f7e2aef8557ee2e997a.jpg

Belt only over the top two pulleys. I need to get the dephaser pulley loose so the belt all lines up exactly. The bottom pulley appears to be locktite in place. Which should stop it moving at least but I think that’s why the previous belt has been out a bit.

I also look a minute to blast the alloy parts so they go back in nice and fresh. Also poured some fuel on the cam cover and tried to get the worst of that cleaned up.

febab5aed7ff0ada87e1d5c1105dd7af.jpg

9673fd78248b2dc15ff9533832677034.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Decision made. Aircon is off.

Getting the aircon all back working was looking like a £200 job. I’ve got a cup setup including alternator for £150 and I’ll likely sell the 182 alternator to get some money back.

8df1de18a9eebc646b1edbbe193bb99b.jpg

Also the rad out. I’m going to change that, looks like some idiot fired a standard clio rad / condenser in.

And finally. After 5/6 checks the belt is timed in and bang on. Should run nice.

c8358297d4f72e14d2ed18a4cb4635f3.jpg

Next is a new set of the correct plugs and a general service. Then it will be time to tidy up the engine bay.