ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inferno Supercharger Build #mysatsuma

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
I thought I'd start a project thread as I have been working on this for a while. Before I started, I researched all of my options between Supercharged and Turbo. I decided I wanted Supercharged as I wanted the NA performance rather than turbo delivery, plus keeping the heat in the engine was was another bonus

I wanted a 182 Cup in Inferno Only, so spent a while looking on line for month until one appeared. As it was going to be a track focused car, service history etc wasn't important. I just wanted a well looked after, mechanically sound foundation to build on.

I found the car I wanted and swiftly (after a day round trip to collect it) got it back home.

Clio 1.png

Last Import - 1 of 37 (8).jpg

I wanted to then have a cage installed but wanted a high end MSA/FIA type as the intention is to compete in Hillclimb at some point. I started digging around for info and fount that Tom Johnson at Fulcrum Motorsport had the cage I wanted. I saw his work and the quality of the cage so had several messages back and forth with photos and available options.

Just as I was arranging the purchase of a new cage, Ali Hickling was selling his (Fulcrum motorsport) Clio cage that he was building for RX. This has the additional roof cross I really wanted. A deal was done and it was shipped to my home. Once home it was treated, primered and painted in Inferno Orange for a clean finish.

IMG_0531.JPG

Cage 3 painted.jpg

IMG_4950.JPG

While I was waiting for the date to get the cage fitted locally to me, I started work on the car. First off was door cards. A good friend of mine owns Simon owns @Track-car-doorcards so I had one of the first sets he did for the Clio. Looks clean and exactly what I wanted. These will be updated shortly for his nice shiny carbon ones.

IMG_6010.JPG

Next plan was to remove the arch liners and add the front splitter

IMG_0910.JPEG

splitter 1.jpg

Attachments

• Cage 1.jpg
    Cage 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 265
  • Cage 2.jpg
    Cage 2.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 248

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Next was getting the cage fitted, Luke 6 point harnesses, Lightweight Battery installed and relocated behind the passenger seat, Weld in rails on the drivers seat, bonnet and boot pins, new HC discs all round from @George@RTR_Parts, 660 Race Fluid and PBS pads front and rear. Oh and the new Tow hoops at the front.

Quick test fit and then in it went

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
The Turn One Cup seat was only ever destined for the passenger side as a little homage to the car being a Cup and usually visible as it will just have me in it. I upgraded the drivers seat to the Mirco and am very pleased with the position

Mirco.jpg

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
So the next stage was to collect all of the bits I needed. Supercharger, Fluid (who knew it was over £100 per bottle), Pipework and intercooler. I also got my hands on a new plug and play ME221 ECU for the Clio.

ME221.jpg

I found the charger kit off one of the members on here which I bought. He also had a forged bottom end which I was told was all good and just had a refurb from a motorsport company so I bought this too as he didn't want to split it all. I then started ordered the Supertech valves and a 5 paddle clutch from Engine Dynamics.

Charger.jpg

I then dropped it all off at my engine builder to dismantle it all and start the race engine build. He rang me a day or so later stating the block, pistons, rings etc were all scrap. The bores had been bored out so badly there weren't even straight, they were cone shaped. All of the coating on the forger pistons had all come off too. The list was endless.

I am in talks with the person in question so no name and shame quite yet, but this bottom end is now fit for being a coffee table.

My next option was to drop off my current block and source all of the other bits. This is when I came into contact with Anthony Smith. I am sure many of you know Anthonys's quality of work and attention to detail. He had all of his kit for sale and just what I needed. We chatted and I collected it all (Except his block which iI am still kicking myself over) and dropped it off at the builders. I also dropped off boxes of gaskets, new parts, belts, 630cc injectors, plugs etc.

The spec is as follows:

Forged Wossner Turbo Pistons
Forged PEC I-Beam Rods
All debarred and balance to within 1 gram
Piston rings all matched and gapped
Head ported by Neil Roper (inlet, Exhaust and combustion chambers)
3 Angle Valve seats cut
Supertech double spring kit with titanium retainers
Supertech Inconel Exhaust Valves
Supertech Stainless steel inlet valves
Renault Camshaft followers
Renault Hydraulic lifters
Renault Valve collects
Renault Valve seals
ARP Bolts
Decked block
Balanced Supercharger and pulley
Compression reduced to suit (9.0:1)

Here is some shots of the beautiful thing lol

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Oh an it had an upgraded Oil pump too.

It is all currently being installed as we speak so I will get some more photos posted soon.

It will also be running a HPFP and swirl pot setup. I don't want it too noisy so the pump will be outside the cabin underneath the car.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Yes it was the traction fluid at nearly £150 per bottle in most places. I found a deal at Caterham of all places

Good idea on mounting the pump on the outside from the swirl pot, exactly what I did when I did mine, I have no idea why people feel the need to put pumps into boots?

I’ve actually just upgraded my Inline pump as I’m pushing the power up on mine more.. the new pump was a tad louder than the one before so I’ve now mounted the pump cage to rubber bobbins.. absolutely quiet as a mouse now!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea on mounting the pump on the outside from the swirl pot, exactly what I did when I did mine, I have no idea why people feel the need to put pumps into boots?

I’ve actually just upgraded my Inline pump as I’m pushing the power up on mine more.. the new pump was a tad louder than the one before so I’ve now mounted the pump cage to rubber bobbins.. absolutely quiet as a mouse now!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes exactly. Keep it on the outside. Did you buy or make the mount?

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick update.

all put back together with the Billet fuel rail and 630cc injectors

ECU installed with its own bespoke housing

BMS shifter now fitted

High pressure fuel pump located outside the cabin under boot floor with fuel filter, pressure regulator under the bonnet and swirl pot in the boot.

Just painting the bonnet so will be refitted in the next week or so.

mapping next. Let see what those numbers will be.............

CE741A34-9A06-4087-B7CC-119CFF405286.jpeg

F3485635-3733-4734-853B-F3F989494638.jpeg

ABFCD486-A3AE-4A43-8A03-F6F6C9F9537C.jpeg

875646EF-5976-419A-9E19-68BC40FE7735.jpeg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Lovely. That will be great fun on track. I might have missed it, but what clutch are you using and have you fitted a LSD in the box.

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
So after aaaaaaagges, we had it on the Dyno and did fairly well. running 305 bhp which is fine for the moment. I will get some miles on and have an upgraded intercooler and a few other tweaks before it has another trip to the dyno. which should give it a tad more - fingers crossed

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Great result! what intercooler you have now and what will you change to? Dimensions. Any graph of dyno run