ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info needed on 172 brakes and suspension....

Right then guys ive got a 1.2 2004 model clio and im gonna turn it into a 172 ground up so every 172 part will be fitted so need info on whats just 172 and whats fitted to every model......

Suspension
Rear: is there any difference between rear beam in a 1.2 and 172? if it is are thay interchangeable?
Rear shocks and springs: Im guessing there's 3 types? Std clio std 172 and cup setup? If so are thay interchangeable?
Front: Is there any difference between front subframes on 1.2 and 172? if it is are thay interchangeable?
Front extras: Is there any difference between front arb wheel hubs wishbones and drive shafts in a 1.2 to 172? if so are thay interchangeable?
Front shocks and springs: Im guessing there's 3 types? Std clio std 172 and cup setup? If so are thay interchangeable?

Off the top of my head im thinking suspension rear is a straight swap but fronts I have to use 172 hubs with shocks to fit and 1.2 brakes wont fit on 172 hubs?

Brakes
Rear: is there any difference between rear brakes on 1.2 and 172? honestly don't even know if 172 has bigger drums or disc setup? if 172 is it adivceable to fit discs on rear to 1.2???
Front: Is there any difference between front brakes on 1.2 and 172? im guessing 172 has bigger discs and better calipers but need 172 hubs to match?
Brake lines: Is there any difference between 1.2 and 172 brake lines? ie if I went to 172 brakes would I have to change fexi rubber lines and job done or would I also have to change copper lines to???

If theres anything ive missed please do say!!!! im good with cars but haven't got a blood clue when it comes to clios...

Thanks and sorry for so many questions in one post......

Right found alittle advice on front brakes:
I need 172
Wheel hubs
whishbones
driveshafts
Shocks and springs
calipers
discs and pads...

is there anything else needed???

(im renewing my brakes and suspension anyway so upgrading to 172 spec is really costing next to nothing but I get more for my money)

You've forgotten to go around corners. You'll need to grab a wider 172 steering rack & track rod ends to match the wider track. Might then have issues with PAS pump pipe diameter, routing & fitment etc but can't comment.

You'll also have to put 22 tooth non-sport ABS rings on the 172 driveshaft or it'll think you're going exactly twice the speed everywhere lol (on a less funny note it will confuse the ABS computer and you'll fail the MOT.

I'm sure I've read on more than one occasion that the subframe is different as well.

It's very refreshing that you've had a search for information and are methodically thinking through it yourself (this question has been asked a 1000 times before and usually goes something like "wot else do i need gunna do a 172 conversion alreedy got an engine it sweet 22k miles so cambelt good for anuva 50k an will it just be straight swap and i no u'll all just say get a 172 but insurance is so expensive and so unfair im only 18") ...buuuuut it is still a completely pointless excersise given how cheap good condition 172s are. People usually find it cheaper to insure a standard 172 than a heavily modified (with all the 172 bits) 1.2.

Im new to clios and past cars ive had anit needed different steering rack and arms just different ends? but I did say this is what ive been told?

Ok that's something ill have to sort out.....

Anit got a clue??

I have done a lot of searches and the most coman think is im not 100% sure even with the engines????
Personally I couldn't give a rats ass about the insurance my insurance company will just reclass the car as a 172 anyway plus im doing it for the fun of building a car.....

Im picking up the everything engine gearbox loom sub frame ect from a lad on Friday for less than half the cost of a 172 and I get the fun of building the car :) (iirc the only 172 parts im not getting is bodykit and rear frame/bar and discs)