ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Info on ESP on the 172/182

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
As far as i am aware. ESP works by a combination of throttle control and brakes. It basically senses the cars intended direction and the actual direction it is going. Then by adjusting the throttle position and applying the brakes indepedantly. It moves the vehicle back onto the correct course. Plus it stops the wheels from locking, so you always should have full steering control. Each ESP varies from car to car really.

ahhh i have the answer to ESP/VSA (HONDA USES THE TERM VSA instead of ESP, buts its the same thing) etc etc. as me work for honda, i went to HONDA TEST DAY last month. I had a few tries of ESP/VSA at 60mph round cones on and off in the new civic. ESP/VSA makes so much difference. very good thing to have on a car nowadays

its combination of three

ESP/VSA includes:

1.ESP
2.ABS
3.TRACTION CONTROL

from what i took of it, its main purpose is to reduce the amount off skidding,. it detects and controls the car. gotta say was the nutz when i turned it off, i wash doing 180's with smoke all over the track.

Last edited:
  R35 GTR
Is it throttle control as well. I know it uses the steering wheel angle sensor. So if I turn sharp and understeer, should it cut in, as i dont usually need it for understeer, oversteer is more of a problem though.

Not gonna start driving silly, I'm just being an engineering nerd.:clown:

I think from one past experience it allows understeer, but helps out if you oversteer ? As i had a moment when the front wheels slipped and I turned in a little more, and the back end went, but car went side ways as esp helped out.

so questions are, when does it help? oversteer/understeer/both?

how much slip is allowed?

is throttle control used too?

when i was doing the test in the new civic at 60mph in and out through cones i did not hit a single cone with the ESP on.

but with it off, i had no chance. lol smack 180's and smoke. haha had my boss sitting in the back seat, she sh!t herself.

R35 GTR
JLO said:
when i was doing the test in the new civic at 60mph in and out through cones i did not hit a single cone with the ESP on.

but with it off, i had no chance. lol smack 180's and smoke. haha had my boss sitting in the back seat, she sh!t herself.

lol. more interested in the way it works, not trying to enhance my driving with it.

sounds like fun though.

soon every car will have to have it. a research showed that nearly every car in germany has ESP. theres something i found out. hehe