ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

installing dell rack + extras

Rav4
Hi there,

Installing the following,

A) 1 x Dell 4210
B) 2 x Dell™ RapidPower Power Distribution Units
c) 1 x APC 5000UPS 5U Rack Mounted 3750W

Any recommendations?

Have not used done the B and C's before, going to be fun, not.

C) Electrician is required.

Thanks,

G.

lol as soon as I spotted that model of UPS I was going to point out it needs to be hardwired in! Take the batteries out before trying to lift it into the rack as well.

As a rule I don't touch dell servers so can't comment on the first two.

LY 182
trying not to sound really ignorant (and this is pure curiosity)

what the hell are you all talking about?

Integra Type-R DC2
Hes setting up(?) a data cab. The thing that makes your office network run.

You supplying off a fused spur?

Oh, and as Pete said, take the batterys out the UPS when putting it in, makes like so much easier. ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
trying not to sound really ignorant (and this is pure curiosity)

what the hell are you all talking about?

UPS = Uninterruptable power supply (means server continue running for a while and shut down gracefully if there is a power cut.

RapidPower Power Distribution Units = Think mains extension lead, but bigger, heavier and designed to fit in a 19" rack.

Dell 4210 = A dell 19" rack.

Put UPS at bottom of the 19" rack, wire it to the distribution units then feed the servers off them

Dell Rack Installation 101 (in a nutshell) ;)

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
We've got a 5000 in the bottom of one of our 4210 dell racks

and a load of blades/san in the other one :D

DSC00448.gif

DSC00451.gif

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Nice blades ! I take it they are connected to the SAN via iSCSI or Fibre ?

i have a rt8000rm xli with 3 additional 192v rm battery packs ITS FREAKING HUGE and just a tad heavy still waiting for teh blades and bulk data storage to go with it after the last solutions provider f**ked it up we are going virtual san (datacore) due to it been faster and much more flexable oh and a lot cheaper !

Rav4
Right,

Just had an electrician come in to do it, I'm not sure if I was correct, but I sent him packing.

The APC product requires a 25 amp circuit breaker.

All our circuits have 20 amp circuit breakers.

We have one spare circuit, all wired in.

The guy was saying we needed to hardwire the cabling all the way through to the mains by-passing the current circuit breaker??!! WTF

I presume an electrician can simply provide the correct cabling and socket end for the APC product, then change the spare circuit breaker from 20amp to 25amp and then we are ready to go....

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rav4
Thanks guys :)

McBunny, that UPS is a beast, it's much different to mine.

This is proving to be a pain :( the building only supports 20amp cabling, so need to get a new circuit put in, something I did not budget for and entirely my fault, should have researched some more.

This pics are great, I will get some of mine done when it's setup :)

I really appreciate everyone's time on this.

McBunny, the red plug, what's the amperage on that, do you know? I have blue ones, should suffice, think they are up to 25, not sure.

:)