ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Instrument mpg etc is so far out!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Phase 1 172. I cant get the mpg on the instruments to read over 12mpg ( struggle to get it close to double figures ) and of course the range is also miles out. I have run from full to full and the car is returning 32mpg which im happy with, it has donen this consistently recently.

What could be influencing the instrument ? Can it be resolved ?

2002 Clio II Ph2 172
Do you have any exhaust leaks?

I had a gradualy worsening exhaust leak in the header to cat joint section in my ph2 172. I think it was already slightly blowing when i bough it. In that condition my onboard computer readings where way too optimistic. The car would consume considreably more fuel in reality compared to the onboard readings. 3 to 5 liters more in reality. Was runing too rich i was told. Fooling the lambdas.

Now after fixing it, i got under the impression that the total consumed liters in reality and on the computer, are much closer. Last time i checked at fill up tim,e was only about 1 liter in difference i think.

And the liters per 100kms average now seems to vary acordingly to my driving. Before it was always close to 8.1, as i remember. it just didnt vary much. Its af if the onboard computer displayed values where not taking into account the fueling diference caused by the pre lambda leak?