ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Companies that allow Modifications!

soon: 172 Cup
Hi all,

So far i have found myself a half decent quote for a 172, but i want to do a few cheeky mods, and Direct Line (who i got the half decent quote with) Do not allow ANY modifications!

This is a bit of a pain as i want to do a nice engine dress up with carbon bits, induction etc etc.

Who are people insured with on modified 172's, i am not talking about doing anything silly like Throttle bodies (well yet ;) ) but just simple mods like K-Tec Stealth Exhaust, induction, maybe lowering ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Cheers peeps!

Leon Cupra 300
i cant see you having to declare them mods, im with directline which are really cheap.

i have an exhaust on mine which isnt declared, im going to get inlet manifold done which i wont bother because they have no way of telling.. im not going to lower mine but if i was i'd not bother telling them.

id tell them about an induction kit but not a replacement panel filter....

whats everyone else think

997.1, Caddy, e208
I think its not worth risking invalidating your insurance for a few extra quid over 12 months.

I have declare all my mods on my car, it increased the premium by £450 but Im content knowing Im fully covered and if anything happens, im fine.

Leon Cupra 300
^^^ off topic but class username

i would if it were mega obvious but not for like a new exhaust that dont happen to be a renault one, and not for replacing an air filter that doesnt happen to be a renault one. where do you draw a line... mean what if you put greenstuff pads in or whatever would you bother to declare them as they not proper reno jobbies

philmots said:
^^^ off topic but class username

i would if it were mega obvious but not for like a new exhaust that dont happen to be a renault one, and not for replacing an air filter that doesnt happen to be a renault one. where do you draw a line... mean what if you put greenstuff pads in or whatever would you bother to declare them as they not proper reno jobbies
Bear in mind that if you crash then they will invalidate your policy if they find out.

This will mean that someone can sue you for the money it will cost them to replace the car.

Could you afford it if you crashed into a Porsche? Or a bridge? Or a house that then had to be rebuilt??

Alternatively, if it's stolen and later recovered as a write off, they wouldn't pay out for it, leaving you however much out of pocket.

An exhaust will probably be about an extra £20-50 quid on your insurance, tops. For the sake of what is a small amount of money really, not even a tank of petrol nowadays, you'd rather be at risk of losing ££££s?

Ask Joel Dee on here about not declaring mods! Or Connor!

Leon Cupra 300
^^^ yeah i see your point, but its not even a performance exhaust, its just a hand made jobbie doesnt give it any more go. would you still declare it?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Declare everthing thats not standard mate , except if its only a different panel filter .

997.1, Caddy, e208
Yup, my back box is declared, no extra go but my car cost me twice the amount my premium does with mods!

MY10 R35 GTR
declare mods!!! ur commiting insurance suicide if you dont!!!

no harm in taking the effort to call first and ask if there would be a difference to your premium on not.

Im with greenlight and have already asked what difference there would be with certain mods..... it was somit like £40 more.

So when I get my brakes replaced at my local garage and he does not use OEM parts then I should phone up my insurance company and let them know that I dont have original OEM parts installed?

On my wifes older car I dont think anything on it OEM, all replacement parts that the garage uses, Exhaust, Brakes, Hand brake cable, Bulbs, etc I doubt are original OEM parts.

What constitues a modification?

Mat.

soon: 172 Cup
I think my point has kind of got lost here.

I want to find an insurance company that will allow mods haha! I am a copper so i dare not get caught driving without valid insurance!