ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance.. declare or not declare.. that is the question

Ok, So I have a 2ltr 16v and fit a 1.8

do I tell them ??? these are NOT performance enhancing..

What dictates performance ?.. going, stopping ?, cornering ?, how many knickers ya remove ?, how many admiring glances ?

If I follow your line, I need to declare my sparco seats ???..

What If I dont fit into them comfortably ?... what If my halfords seat covers - with beads !! - make me faster ??.. when do I tell them.. ie - IF I fit halfords bead covers.. do I run for the phone ??

What about my radar detector and geodisy ?? It makes me go much faster ... do I declare that.. or only if it is plugged into the cigarette lighter and in view of the driver ?

Joe

clio 20v

they dont make it any faster do they the lights make it safer and the car already has decent alloys as standard its not like putting 18s on a fiesta its not a noticeable differance really so no i dont think they should b declared

actually....... ........ dont they ALL look like that ???.. I only see them on tv really, and they ALL look like that...... so ???????..

ooooooooo. it;s one like on the tv.... oooooooo

but its no more nickable.. cos its a fugly ucker anyways lol

Joe.

"Ok, So I have a 2ltr 16v and fit a 1.8
do I tell them ??? these are NOT performance enhancing.."

Yes altering vehicle from standard spec.

"What dictates performance ?.. going, stopping ?, cornering ?, how many knickers ya remove ?, how many admiring glances ?"

little lost at what your getting at. performance is that of the standard vehicle.

"If I follow your line, I need to declare my sparco seats ???.."

correct

"What If I dont fit into them comfortably ?..."

perhaps you should of checked before you bought it!

"what If my halfords seat covers - with beads !! - make me faster ??.. when do I tell them.. ie - IF I fit halfords bead covers.. do I run for the phone ??"

hmmm! dont think they would be intrested in your beadded seat cover!
but otherwise you would tell them the second the vehicle changed in specification, (within practible time)

"What about my radar detector and geodisy ?? It makes me go much faster ... do I declare that.. or only if it is plugged into the cigarette lighter and in view of the driver

Joe "

radar detector is fine as far as i am aware.

Excellent dood !!

I am happy now !

I cant afford sparco, but.. the new Halfords Bead Master Turbo covers are the biz !!!.. they have built in wrap around shoulder retraints and lumbar - of course, and hips (Jilly ??)....

And , they are made outa carbon fibre ! oooooooooo my.....

So, now I got, the same sorta look.. and better grip ?

what do I do now ??... I love these beads... sob sob....

Joe..

"Oh, re the prodrive stuff.. absolutely not...

Joe "

correct! these are the only mods i know that can be done to a vehicle, without the need to tell the insurance company.

But this is a subaru/prodrive thing only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be warned, this is a relationship between subaru and pro-drive, fit the wheels and lights to your motor and you will have to declare them!

confused you yet....?

subaru agree that pro-drive parts are within there vehicle specification. so if you order a wrx like this one above (very nice it is too) the lights, wheels, grille kits, spoilers etc. you do not have to declared them as performance enhancements to your insurance company!

BMW 320d Sport

Joe, my understanding of it is that on the whole, insurers dont care what the mods are. Plenty of people dream that big brakes and a decent suspension upgrade will cheapen their insurance...dream on.

At the end of the day if I was an insurer looking at two 172s - one factory standard and another with loads of mods like brakes/suspension etc I would give the cheaper quote for the standard one, without question!

From the point of view of an insurer:
Handling upgrades basically mean you are wanting to drive faster without crashing.
Performance upgrades which will make the car faster (eg engine work) are the same.
Interior and exterior cosmetic mods mean you want your car to attract attention or look faster/more expensive than it is and are a better target for thieves.

The only way to have cheap insurance is to have a totally standard car. Regarding mods such as a Magic Tree or a baby seat, Id say that if they are not actually permanently fixed to the structure of the car then they dont count. I know you can unscrew spoilers and pull off bodykits etc, but you know what I mean...

BMW 320d Sport

In practice though, if you stack it, internal engine mods arent gonna be detectable apart from ECU mods which will show up as an error code on a diagnostic tester. Even an experienced assessor wont have the knowledge to decide on a cam profile and head work even once the engines stripped down and sitting on the bench!

oooooops, Forgot to add, silly of me lol..

the speed detection devices are kewl.. thats good.

so, I add my new... computer controlled gear changer... it looks at engine rpm and distance covered, it also senses gear.. ie 1st or second etc... It tells the ecu to alter the throttle position for max traction, speed, and fun factor...

Is that ok ??.. or is the cigarette lighter the limit of connectivity ?

What about driver training, track days, academies etc ???... do I declare them too.. cos I is better, faster, more stoppable , GLIDE around previously basturd corners, and, and.. am more relaxed.... I am now safer.... can I get a discount ?????

or

is it all a balancing act - on BOTH Sides lol..........

just to ponder the moment............

Joe

"so, I add my new... computer controlled gear changer... it looks at engine rpm and distance covered, it also senses gear.. ie 1st or second etc... It tells the ecu to alter the throttle position for max traction, speed, and fun factor...

Is that ok ??.. or is the cigarette lighter the limit of connectivity ?"

cigarette lighter only im afraid!

"What about driver training, track days, academies etc ???... do I declare them too.. cos I is better, faster, more stoppable , GLIDE around previously basturd corners, and, and.. am more relaxed.... I am now safer.... can I get a discount ?????

or

is it all a balancing act - on BOTH Sides lol..........

just to ponder the moment............ "

as your aware, no doubt, alot of the recognised driver training courses will lower your premium!

that bad a$$ scooby, if anyone is wondering, is a 6 day old one, that my brother owns.

I had the pleasure of putting some miles on it for him on saturday.

tiz fun!

kewl again M8

So, as well as ALL me mods you have permitted, I can NOW have a DISCOUNT for attending a track day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....... where do I sign up m8 ??

Joe

"So, as well as ALL me mods you have permitted, I can NOW have a DISCOUNT for attending a track day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....... where do I sign up m8 ??"

can give you details of a certain insurance broker in brum m8

7.6cc :D

Personally i would marry that scooby

but please bear in mind, that i am both drunk and not known for my good taste!

Its gorgeous

I have just had to increase my annual mileage limit with my insurance company. Thought it was best to, just in case!

Wow is the captain playing Devils Advocate or what?

To be honest I totally agree with what he has said.

There is no right or wrong answer, its all about interpretation. If worst came to worst it would be up to you to beat them in court.

Personally I wouldnt declare any internal engine mods. I didnt declare IK and Exhaust system either but those are both off the car now anyway.

I know Im taking chances but heres why:
Quote with car standard FC = 640 pounds
Quote with IK/exhaust/suspension kit = 980 pounds!

Ill continue to take my chances I think.

From my own experience, I have to agree with what someone said earlier, often the insurance company havent got a clue so make a figure up.

My own example - I asked how much my premium would increase if I had a chip fitted. They said "no way we wont cover you"

I phone back a week later and spoke to an older lady who didnt know what one was. I didnt lie and told her it would increase performance by around 8% She said "okay annual increase of 80 pounds"

Bit of a difference!

Just my 2p worth

"There is no right or wrong answer, its all about interpretation. If worst came to worst it would be up to you to beat them in court."

There is no right or wrong answer???!!!!!

explain!

how would you class stereo equipment in all this? as it is all removable and doesnt change the original spec only effects the performance in a negative manner and is seperatly insured with a different policy? only thing is it makes the car more nickable, opinions?

Luke

correct it does!

they would cover the cost of your replacement vehicle, but not the equipment.

but you would still have to tell them i believe.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Couldnt be bothered to read the whole post but here is my 2 pence worth.

Declare anything that is a performance mod wether it works of not.

Also delcare such items that if in the event of you having a crash (God Forbid) you can claim extra money back on your insurance above a standard car.

EG. You fit better seats that cost £2000 then delcare them and when you are offered the money for your write off then get them to add the money on for the seats.

Things I would declare IMO are the following.

Engine work anything uprated

Body work anything added on to cosmetically enhance the car.

Bigger and better braking system

Cause you know what is going to happen when they asses your car and you have undeclared mods.

Wave goodbye to your pay out jack !!!!

lol Chavvs..

you are actually close to the mark here dood..

that is EXACTLY what will happen, on an assesment, they wont give a crap about WHAT you have done, but they wont pay ya for it either..

Best bet is to take out household unspecified item cover (They wont offer it, you need to ring your household insurance co. !)

I could claim for anything up to the quoted and decided value at anytime from anywhere... If I purchased seats, these would be covered etc..

My £340 a year 172 cup insurance is far too high as it is...

Perhaps If I put 1.2 badges on... hmmm
in the event of damage, the 172 engine is the same cost as a 1.2.. so no worries there either..

Joe.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Joe I think we have to look at it on the basis that insurance companies are about making money. If they dont have to pay the customer out that wont.

If you can get away with NON VIEWABLE mods then go for it, unless you are sure the asseers are going to strip the engine if that get a wiff of fowl play.

They screw us either way.

BTW you have insured your car as a "Cup" you cheeky git, what happens when they go to pay out in the event of an accident ? before the first year si up they just replace the car, I think you secretly want a CUP

LMAO !!.. nope, I dont want a cup..

Its simple really.

my car was 10999.

a cup (UK) is about 12.5k list.

cant lose m8. !

just buy another import..

My car was registered in the uk, its a uk car.. simple..

moooooohahaha !!

Joe.

oh, and assesors NEVER strip engines etc..

they are just like estate agents coming to value your house..

they know the price before thay turn up.. its a formality.. they wear nice clean suits and are even issued with gloves..

Joe...

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Joe,

Would that mean as long as you remove the NOS cyclinder after a crash you could get away with it ?

absolutely !!!

no probs at all.

or just throw a pair of flippers in the boot and tell em its a diving cylinder ..

you could leave it in no probs, they cant prove you were using it.. it may be just fitted for track days but turned off for normal use..

Joe

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

WEIGHT,

I love that scooby, I was looking at one a few weeks back but I tested the boggo WRX which wasnt that impressive but I love the burble of the flat 4 boxer engine.

The guy at the scooby garage didnt know his ar5e from his elbox BTW as he said the pro-drive kit would add lots of money to the insurance.

I always thought the Pro-drive added BHP as well, so the insurance would go up. Oh well this is all very confusing.

""""absolutely !!!

no probs at all.

or just throw a pair of flippers in the boot and tell em its a diving cylinder ..

you could leave it in no probs, they cant prove you were using it.. it may be just fitted for track days but turned off for normal use..

Joe """"""

I think your missing the point!!!!

they dont have to prove jack!!!!

you have nos fitted and that alters the car from standard manufacturers specification. the fact that you were/were not using it is irrelivant(spell).

you have it fitted and thats all they need to void your claim/policy!

chevyboy - the pro - drive engine work may be a different kettle of fish!

the point i was trying to make was that this car ONLY can have pro-drive wheels etc fitted without altering the insurance.