ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for clio 182

I am soon to take delivery of my 182. I have chosen the optional cup suspension pack and spoiler pack and was wondering if i need to declare this to my insurance company as they normally ask the standard question "have you had any modifications made to the car". Or and i OK because they are all factory fitted items? Do i need to declare this? What did other people you have 172/182s do? Also a hint on what insurance company to go with would also help. I am 28 with 3 points.

Any advice is much appreciated

Andrew Bridgeman

No you dont have to declare them as they are standard items fitted at the factory.

The Renault brand manager Jeremy Townsend has veriefed this a few times.

tiTTy & SV650

dont need to declare them.

Try confused.com for quotes it compares the main ones for you and saved me £100 this year.

Are you sure this is correct.

I am insured with direct line who did class them as a mod over the standard 182, which they are. I did explain that they were factory fitted but they said if it was different to the standard spec it would be classed as a modification.

I am just about to fit coilovers so it is not an issue for me anymore as the declared suspension mods, for the cup pack, was a general statement and does cover the coilovers.

abridge when you get quotes I would explain to the insurance company that you have options on the standard car and make sure they confirm that it is not classed as something that needs to be declared. You would be pretty sick if you wrote it off and the insurance company wouldnt pay up. Also make sure you get it in writing.

Quote: Originally posted by MarkM on 20 August 2005

I am insured with direct line who did class them as a mod over the standard 182, which they are. I did explain that they were factory fitted but they said if it was different to the standard spec it would be classed as a modification.
I am just about to fit coilovers so it is not an issue for me anymore as the declared suspension mods, for the cup pack, was a general statement and does cover the coilovers.
The 182 Cup has the Cup suspension setup as stock so I wouldnt sat having it is an aftermarket option etc.

I agrre though it wouldnt be an issue for me Id only get the Cup suspension then coilover it so Id have to tell my insurer anyway.

Im with Elephant. 25 Custom Exhaust and coilovers on my full fat and at the mo I pay approx 700 I have 2 years ncb.
I didnt state the cup packs when I took out the insurance as they are not after market.

Although my insurance is up at the end of the month so were see what the renewal is.

There is a 182, a 182 cup and a 182 with cup packs.

The insurance companies recognise 182 and 182 cup as standard cars.

If however you have a 182 with susp cup packs then to the insurance companys it is a 182 with modifications, factory fitted or aftermarket. As I understand it.

I am with Direct line, 29, SS exhaust, cup packs, coilovers (soon), Full NCB came to 720£ approx. The way they do it is quite general ie.exhaust was classed as power increase (although it probably doesnt) up to 10%, suspension mods would be in a general 250 to 1000£ mod cost category.

So if I get more engine work done the insurance would not increase as the 10% is going to give me upto 18bhp to play with.

Shhh

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 20 August 2005

No you dont have to declare them as they are standard items fitted at the factory.

The Renault brand manager Jeremy Townsend has veriefed this a few times.
I got a Racing Blue 182 with Stripes, Cup suspension and Cup Packs, also some stickers on the door as i suspect it was a ex car show car.

Im with Admiral and i had too declare

Cup Suspension (as being 3mm lower than standard)
Cup Spoiler Pack (as having a front splitter & larger rear spoiler)
Cup Alloys (Had to declare the alloys being a different colour)
Stripes & Stickers (managed to get that under Decorative Changes)
So, has this affected the premium, Yes but i know that i can drive with having a accident and not worry about them trying to get out of a claim. I managed to get the insurance down too £700 Full Comp with the use of the pay it in one lump too get 15% off. It all depends on the insurance companies, i found Norwich Union did not care what was done too the car, but admiral were the opposite. If i have a smash, Admiral will only pay for the car too be put back too standard, so if it was a total loss, id get a 182 price for it, if it had a front end smash and was repaired, they would put a Cup alloy, Cup suspension on it as the other wheels were the same.

Catch my drift, its up too the insurance company...ask them if factory fitted options are modifications.........