ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for my 172 Cup. 20 Years old.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Okay. I bought a Cup around 3 months ago, and have had it insured through elephant for £941, standard. My mate, who has a 172, wrote off his car a week back. He hadn't declared his K-tek exhaust, or his viper induction kit. Luckily, the place the car got towed to, allowed us to swap over my standard parts, for his modified, so the car went back to his insurance company completely standard. So, i've phoned elephant to declare the new modifications to the car (it's winter, not taking any chances with a Cup!) but has added about £300 extra to the premium (which is a complete p*ss take). Anyone know where I can get a better deal? I'm paying through my a*se to have an exhaust which won't fall off after 30,000 miles, and a cone with a peice of sponge in it. Help.

172 Cup 2003
try neil @ greenlight..look in contact list..got me the best deal..but don't think cups are doing too well insurance terms because soooo many are getting spooned and lack of ABS seems to put most off but he is the man to e-mail

Silver 172 Ph1
Yeah you get buggered in a cup as said, all about write off rates and seems ABS is a big factor.

£941 is good at 20. cheapest I can find is £2500, down to £2k when im 21. Don't think greenlight insure under 21.

No more clio's for me!
Try bell.co.uk mate, i've got the alloys, lowered, induction kit and cup spoiler on my premium they sorted me out with £660 fully comp at 23. Although my premium is £200 more compared to a standard quote from directline who wanted £460 fully comp with no mods.

Bottom line is, if your going to mod it, be prepared to get arse fcuked for your insurance!

Z4 Roadster
greenlight don't cover cups though sadly. :(

Plus, generally the cup isn't a particularly insurance friendly car, made worse by modifications, as I've been finding out. :(

I got my best price through Elephant, but Adrian Flux were very close (£30 or so more) and Herts Insurance Consultants managed to get down to Adrian Flux's price from over £1500!!!

edit - £941 for a 20yr old seems flippin good to me :)

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
I did an insurance quote for a 182 ff with cup packs, and it was £1000 less a year than my 172cup with a couple of mods...

Looks like im selling up and changing then!

I had no problems with mine....

822 quid fully comp

im 21, 2 years ncb.

Only mods ive had are full stainless stealth system as my back box fell off and a viper

Motorbikes
even £1300 is cheap!!! my insurance for a standard 172 cup is £2200 with elephant, and i'm 21 in january.

EDIT: infact if i recall correctly your paying the same as i am for my 1.2!

Focus RS, 182 gone
Personaly, i wouldnt declare those mods, my ex girlfried had a modded 106 and wrote it off, she still got paid out. If you have over 4 years NCB try privelage. Iv got my 54 plate full phat 182, insured fully comp, with protected NCB for £380, oh and im 26 with 5 years NCB

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
Got mine on multicar policy with Admiral
Mods Declared
33 year old in bad area, parked on drive, 5 years NCB with 1 claim and 3 pts (including wife) came to £723 protected
Who says it comes down with age...?

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Personaly, i wouldnt declare those mods

Not taking any chances mate. They ask you SPECIFICALLY when setting up the insurance with elephant about what modificaitons you have done. It's not just there for show and tell.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Personally, I think thats a really f**king stupid statement.

nah it aint, who wants to pay £300 extra for an air filter which if anything, lowers bhp?
Look at it this way. If I don't declare the mods (saving myself £27 a month), and I have an accident, chances are, elephant won't pay out. I'm stuck paying £181 for a car I don't have, for the next 3 years. I may also face a charge for technically not being "insured" at the time of the accident. So mate, £300 a year doesn't sound all that bad.

Secondly. If I turned up in your area and smashed into you, would you accept me turning around and saying "well, I didn't declare my mods, saved myself £300. But unfortunatly for you, i'm technically not insured, so your on your own to repair your car." Doubht it.