ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance for young driver

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
Hi everyone,
so basically I'm 17 and have a 2003 1,2 Clio with the only modification being alloy wheels.
been looking around on comparison sites and had a quote from direct line but the insurance quotes I'm getting are between £3100-£4500 :(. In my opinion these are stupid amounts of money to insure a car i paid £1400 for.
So i was wondering if anyone knows any insurance companies that are likely to give me a quote less than £3100.

(Haven't looked at the black box insurance deals because a few mates from work said they are too restricting and mess you about a lot!)

Thanks
-R.J

350Z
Add two female named drivers, preferably over 40 - knocked off a good chunk when I insured my first car.

Renault Clio 1.2
Hi R.J,
I've just turned 17 as well and been getting same kinda quotes it absolutely sucks!
the best I've found so far is like £2800.
Your best off looking at confused.com, that's the best comparison website I've found which is coming out the cheapest.

(I really don't want one of them black boxes either haha!)

Alex.

172 Cup
Put it down as you haven't got alloys as a modification then see how much it drops by, then just take the alloys off until you can afford to insure them on it, and do what others said by putting named drivers on.

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
i tried adding my mum as a named driver and the cheapest i got on gocompare was £2800. would adding my step-dad knock it down even more?
also put down that i didn't have alloys and it only took off £200
(the standard clio alloys that were on the car before had been curbed so bad there were sharp chunks sticking out towards the tyres)
Will have a look on confused.com then!thanks alex.
thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys!
-R.J

Pedal power
Insurance is stupid for young drivers, I paid 2400 on a 1.1 c2, but my mum and I put my younger sister who is a provisional license holder (hasn't passed her test yet) on the policy and it made it shoot down from 3000+ odd to 2400 :p

RB 182 Cup
Additional drivers helps getting it down alot. Added my mum and nan to my 182 insurance and I'm 18 1 years NCD. Reduced my quote by £900. Saying that, you have to bite the bullet for your first year. My first car was a clio 1.5 dci 100. Paid £3200.

Edit : My nan took my insurance down by ALOT more than my mum.

R.J

2003 1.2 16v Clio
thanks for all the help guys!
spent the last 3 hours on comparison sites and the cheapest i can find is £2700 with the alloys! £500 off what i was originally looking at thanks to everyone on here!
Ended up listing my mum and step dad! Might add my nan to it as well see if it cuts it down even more!
Thanks again everyone!
-R.J

FF Clio 182
First car was a 1.2 16v Clio 2002, insurance wanted £2500! Added my dad, Driving 20 years+, maximum years no claims. Also added my mum with 8 years no claims, went down to £1100! As long as your the main driver your allowed to. I found it made no diffrence after that adding more people.