ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance question

clio mk2 1.2 16v
Ive got my 1.2 lowered 40mm on apex, 172 alloys sprayed gun metal, an induction kit with relocation pipe and a 172 back bumper, non have been declared on my insurance, how much sh*t wud i get in if i needed2 claim? cheers

None
They wouldnt pay out for your car and ask you why you did not tell them wait for a reasonable explanation then charge you extra premium or cancel your policy and agree to deal with the claim. Few companies might just get your car sorted and leave it with that. If anyone else is involved in any accident and its your fault then they still will pay out for the damage to the other person involved.

BMW E46 330i Touring
It would be a lot less hassle just to declare and pay the extra on the premium. The 172 bumper shouldn't cost any extra, and you can argue that the alloys are Renault and so therefore not aftermarket also.

So lowering and induction kit shouldn't be much...

clio mk2 1.2 16v
I think im gona take my IK off, will i still be covered? one of my m8s has had her car lowered, full through exhaust and IK and her insurance paid out wen she crashed hers

clio mk2 1.2 16v
I seriously doubt they wud say anyfin bout my alloys coz they are renault, or the back bumper, so i fink ill take the IK off. How much more for the lowering dya think id be payin. Fink my insurance is £650 with me as a named driver wid my mum

BMW Z4 3.0i
Your different bumper may not add to your premium (unless they count it as a kit)
The alloys are HIGHLY likely to add to your premium.
The lowering WILL add to your premium.
The induction kit WILL add to your premium.

Anything you have done to your car which alters the appearance or the performance, needs to be declared to the insurance company. Come time to make a claim, if they find one thing you have changed and not declared, they can simply declare your insurance null and void. No payout for you, lawsuit from any third parties and possible action by the police for driving without proper insurance.

None of these things may happen however at the very least your insurance company will add the mods onto your policy, increase your excess and premium accordingly and expect you to pay it all (backdated to the start of you policy).

It is not worth it. Declare the mods or take them off.

Soko87 said:
I seriously doubt they wud say anyfin bout my alloys coz they are renault, or the back bumper, so i fink ill take the IK off. How much more for the lowering dya think id be payin. Fink my insurance is £650 with me as a named driver wid my mum

Depends on the assesor. I've heard stories of assesors stating that cars have got non-standard alloys on, even when they are the original factory ones (this happened with my girlf's old dynamique a few years ago also). And as for the bumper, just as it's from another Clio, doesn't mean they won't charge you any extra! At the end of the day, they know you've fitted a 172 bumper because it looks better.... so your car now looks more desirable to a thief, so they will quite possibly charge you more to cover the increase in risk (same with the alloys to!)

Im always of the opinion that if you're not willing to pay the insurance to have it covered legally, then you shouldn't have the mods on your car, simple really