ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance thread for young 1*2 owners

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but didn't see the point in posting a new one; I'm looking at getting a 182 in March when I renew, at which point I'll be 20, 2 years experience, 2 years NCB (No points, no accidents - perfectly clean record) - I know everyone is different and no-one can prescribe me what my quotes might be - but at the moment, when I use details (age 20, 2 years driving & NCB) on confused I get quotes around £1600 for FC. Given confused is always well off the mark - last 2 years I've been with Adrian Flux who've insured me on my 1.2 a country mile below the best price on comparison sites - is it realistic for me to get any quotes under £1000 in March when I renew if I get on the phone and shop around? Or very little over? As that's pretty much the max I'm willing to pay.

Also, when is the earliest I can start getting speculative quotes? I know it's 28 days to guarantee the quote at some places, others it's 7 days. Basically I wanna know roughly how much places like Brentacre and Flux will charge me when I renew, but I don't want to phone them up too far in advance.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Clio 172 cup
Similar position, main driver 2 years no claims, 19 years old, £950 annual for a 172 cup

Try money supermarket they have always gotten me about £200-£300 lower than other comparisons

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Similar position, main driver 2 years no claims, 19 years old, £950 annual for a 172 cup

Try money supermarket they have always gotten me about £200-£300 lower than other comparisons

Just used Money Supermarket, came out roughly the same, best quote around £1600 from all the Admiral Group companies (Bell, Admiral etc) - this is with no other drivers on my policy.

I can't fathom this insurance thing - I've read through a lot of this thread and see some people who I deem to be higher risk than myself with much better quotes - given that my 2 years has been perfectly clean, I live in an A rated postcode, I'm not currently a student, I can park on drive etc.

Westlee, who is your quote from? Your conditions seem very similar to mine - I'm even a year older and I'm looking at a 182 which seems to be cheaper than a 172 - I can't believe there's over £600 between us.

Clio 172 cup
That is with elephant, but I have added my parents on, keeping myself as the main driver and owner of the car though.
Might be worth looking into adding some older drivers on?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
My mum doesn't drive, my dad hasn't owned a car for like 5 years and I have a very small family, with no-one really suitable to be added on for any real gain - a shame, but can't do anything about it.

Clio 172 cup
Pity :(
All I know is during the week I was getting £1,150 and on Sunday afternoon I got a quote of £950 so just keep checking the compare sites

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Got my insurance quote in for my 2001 Renault Clio 1.2 8V.. Due to me getting 6 points on my provisional in one go when i owned a motorbike, my insurance is £4000! :( i did a whole day of quotes and this was the cheapest one! went on tonnes of sites and some wouldnt even try to insure me, got another 2 years of the points being on my license aswell before they come off. So just got to grit my teeth and bear it. hopefully it goes down next year by atleast a grand or two :/

Four thousand pounds? For insurance?

Are you serious!?

You're quite simply mental for paying that.

How did you get 6 points?
I must say that if its for anything serious then I'm glad that these high insurance premiums keep people off the road.

So im 19 in June, had my license for just over a year and with ONE NCB. Been looking for insurance for my 1.2 2009 clio today and was getting quotes from admiral, direct line and all that for around £1,268-£1,400.

After a while, I went for my last quote with Aviva and they quoted me £850 with all mods declared.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mines due in a month, got 4 years bonus this year so want to protect too.

In a predicament, because less than a month after it's due I move and the price comes down £200. I know I'd get a refund but I guess fee's would swallow a lot up, might just take it off the road for a few weeks since I hardly use it anyway.

Ford Mustang 5.0
Mines due in a month, got 4 years bonus this year so want to protect too.

In a predicament, because less than a month after it's due I move and the price comes down £200. I know I'd get a refund but I guess fee's would swallow a lot up, might just take it off the road for a few weeks since I hardly use it anyway.

We wouldnt charge a fee when changing address/switching over. But if you can garage it until you move it will be easier for you as you simply start the policy on the lower premium.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I have a very odd predicament, bear with me.

As of August 1st 2013 I have 3 years NCD, however my current policy expires on July 20th. Directline last year only recognised 1 year of my 2 year NCD as the policy overlapped and I didnt have the full 2 years when I started the policy.

Still with me?

Now, obviously I need to be insured between July 20th and August 1st.

Should I take out temporary insurance to cover me over that period? Then take my full 3 years NCD and finally be back on track. Or is there a system where I can start a policy with 2 years NCD and then switch to 3 years NCD 2 weeks into it?

​SOrry. Its a balls up I know.

Ford Mustang 5.0
I have a very odd predicament, bear with me.

As of August 1st 2013 I have 3 years NCD, however my current policy expires on July 20th. Directline last year only recognised 1 year of my 2 year NCD as the policy overlapped and I didnt have the full 2 years when I started the policy.

Still with me?

Now, obviously I need to be insured between July 20th and August 1st.

Should I take out temporary insurance to cover me over that period? Then take my full 3 years NCD and finally be back on track. Or is there a system where I can start a policy with 2 years NCD and then switch to 3 years NCD 2 weeks into it?

​SOrry. Its a balls up I know.

If its only a matter of a small overlap it shouldnt be a problem for us to cover you in July. If you wanted to drop me a PM with your contact number i can give you a call take some futher information then take a look at a quote for you.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight
01277 376000

M2 Comp
Spent the last couple of days getting insurance quotes and ended up taking out a policy with Direct Line.

I'm 21 with 4 years NCB and have no points/claims. They quoted me £514 for the year, which was for fully comp, 10k miles per year, protected NCB, legal cover and all mods declared.

Anyway, one to try for anybody nearing their renewal date...

i'm all for elephant. i'm 18, have 1 years no claims, no points and to insure me on my 182 is £850 for 10 months before with my corsa 1.4 with no, no claims it was 600 for 10 months. i haven't fiddled any of my details or anything and everything is as it should be. that is fully comp too.

the trick i have found with elephant is:

add 3 named drivers, they must be around 40+ and have had there licence for over 15 years and have no points to get the best prices. this brought my price down by around £800
over valuate your car, but don't take the p*ss. if i added £1000 ontop of what my car is actually worth it dropped the price by about 40-50 pounds.
i put my car as being parked on the street and it brough my price down further.

i also found that if i said i had bought my car in 2012 it brought the price down by about another £50 (i haven't done this on my policy, just a quote.)

​thanks

WANTED Arctic 182
When I had my first 182 at 19, I was paying £1,500 +

I'm now looking for another 182 and getting quotes of around £450-£550. Makes me feel old, yet I'm only 23/24 :(

Not really young now (approaching 25), but just had quote through, first one under £500!

Everything declared and like-for-like replacement and protected noclaims, considering it was £750 last year what a saving!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Not really young now (approaching 25), but just had quote through, first one under £500!

Everything declared and like-for-like replacement and protected noclaims, considering it was £750 last year what a saving!

I just insured my 172 via direct line. Was £580 for myself and asked to put wife on and it came to..... £331 :D
just turned 25. The chap on phone couldn't understand the very cheap price and I didn't complain.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
DirectLine.
We have Two cars with them along with the house insurance. Makes for some hefty discounts.

BG Clio 182
Just got insured on a 182 with scorpion exhaust and ktec induction fully comp at 19 with 1 years no claims for 800 quid with insurance for my mods with elephant :) I rang them and it came down over the phone from the online price XD hehe.

Clio 182
Just got insured on a 182 with scorpion exhaust and ktec induction fully comp at 19 with 1 years no claims for 800 quid with insurance for my mods with elephant :) I rang them and it came down over the phone from the online price XD hehe.

2 yrs driving, 1 year no claim (wasnt the policy holder first year) and I am 19 and paid just over £900 with elephant.co.uk

+1 to elephant.co.uk

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member

Just out of interest, can you remember how your much online quote vs phone quote came down by with Elephant?

I know insurance has so many variables but i'm 19 with 2 years no claims, no mods and i'm getting around £1017 per year online for a 182

BG Clio 182
Just out of interest, can you remember how your much online quote vs phone quote came down by with Elephant?

I know insurance has so many variables but i'm 19 with 2 years no claims, no mods and i'm getting around £1017 per year online for a 182
Hi buddy!

Mine came through at about 875 over the Web and with a quick call to someone at elephant (who had a 182 luckily!) And loved it! I got it down immediately haha! I couldn't believe my luck when he said he had one and gave me the lowest rate he could haha. Cheers bud

Clio 182 FF Orange
Just to rub it in for you youngsters my wife and I are insured fully Comp on our mighty Bean 182 for 179 fully comp we are only mid 30's with 10 plus years no claims!!!

The problem with getting really cheap quotes at 19 is that as you grow up, move out, commute due to a job, add a few decent mods because you can afford stuff with said job

...it just sort of never gets any cheaper than living with parents in an area you couldn't afford yourself, part time job due to college/uni, no/little commuting, fairly standard spec

BG Clio 182
The problem with getting really cheap quotes at 19 is that as you grow up, move out, commute due to a job, add a few decent mods because you can afford stuff with said job

...it just sort of never gets any cheaper than living with parents in an area you couldn't afford yourself, part time job due to college/uni, no/little commuting, fairly standard spec

Haha well i know what you're saying but I'm buying somewhere next year and most definitely shall not be dobbing the car in to do so either, I have a full time job left college to set up my own business and am doing okay I should say to be fair, I do a lot of commuting but I have another car for that which is used as my business vehicle, so I appreciate what you're saying but in mine and probably a fair few instances I don't see a problem getting cheap insurance at 19

Oh I agree. A 182 at 19 is far from a problem & I would definitely do it again because insurance was cheap thanks to everything being in my favour.

I suppose what I'm getting at is it takes a long time for it to reduce further because it can't really get any lower.

BG Clio 182
Oh I agree. A 182 at 19 is far from a problem & I would definitely do it again because insurance was cheap thanks to everything being in my favour.

I suppose what I'm getting at is it takes a long time for it to reduce further because it can't really get any lower.
I see what your saying mate :) sorry for being a bit of a wanker haha thought you meant it a bit differently haha ;)

1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2
Lmao at everyone assed about paying 2k for a 182, i'm paying 3k for a fuckin 1.2! Preston City fucked me over big time

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
For anyone still looking at this thread. If you intend to get a Clio sport try find a black box. Yes I know it sucks, I live in Kent. It cost me £2000 for my first year at 17. £1100 yer after. Finally at 19 I only paid £620 and Brought a clio sport for an extra £70. I'm now 22 and just paid £502 with diamond. And I didn't even bother shopping round. That was just an auto renual. I don't no if I can attribute black box to having low payments but I think it's really helped.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
For anyone still looking at this thread. If you intend to get a Clio sport try find a black box. Yes I know it sucks, I live in Kent. It cost me £2000 for my first year at 17. £1100 yer after. Finally at 19 I only paid £620 and Brought a clio sport for an extra £70. I'm now 22 and just paid £502 with diamond. And I didn't even bother shopping round. That was just an auto renual. I don't no if I can attribute black box to having low payments but I think it's really helped.