ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interchangeable cylinder heads

I know the 172 and 182 are interchangeable but can a 192 be used on lets say a ph1 block?

i don't think they can but someone asked me and I want to make sure I'm right that they can't?

Cool I'll have a look at his build thread

but if anyone can clarify it the would be great.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They can, and they have a better chamber design, but you will need to be careful with CR as they are a slightly larger chamber as well as being a better shape.
you need to use 172 dephasor etc though of course.

197 head will require 197 inlet too, the 172 one doesnt match.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is there any noticeable gains from using the 197/200 head @Chip-mk1 ?

Ive not done any back to back tests on the same engine but it seems to be a superior design to me (better shape) so I would expect at least some small gains.

In my case, the main gain is that I have a 197 inlet now, which means I can get at the plugs easily and its easier to change the oil filter.
Its not for any performance reason that I personally am using it, as being a turbo I can easily get more performance if I want it anyway but dont due to gearbox issues.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
They can, and they have a better chamber design, but you will need to be careful with CR as they are a slightly larger chamber as well as being a better shape.
you need to use 172 dephasor etc though of course.

197 head will require 197 inlet too, the 172 one doesnt match.

so it would be best using 197 pistons too?

and the RS2 won't matchup either then?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
so it would be best using 197 pistons too?

and the RS2 won't matchup either then?

In a perfect world yes as they are intruder type pistons from the factory.

No RS2 won't match up at all as the bolt pattern is different and on the 197/200 head the ports are higher up. I modified a 172 head to accept a 197 inlet, but it's far too much hassle and work to be worthwhile doing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I know the 172 and 182 are interchangeable but can a 192 be used on lets say a ph1 block?

i don't think they can but someone asked me and I want to make sure I'm right that they can't?
It's worth mentioning that you need to drill and tap the 197 head to accept a 1*2 idler roller as well. The 197 cambelt runs the water pump so it doesn't require the idler that the 1*2 has.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Lol! Just bang some 197 pistons in with a 1*2 head. You'll up the comp ratio quite nicely. I've got a full R3 maxi kit for mine. ;)

fit and forget?
no machining etc?
How are the 197 pstonts quality wise?

what is in the maxi kit?

thinking about slowly building an engine up for fun, been reading up on the theory and such.
Might even come over to the UK because parts are soooo much cheaper there....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As mentioned for the RS2 to fit the 197 head it would mean you would need a different base manifold, and its not one that is available, so would have to be custom made.

197 pistons secondhand plus a set of new rings is probably not much cheaper than a set of forged 1*2 high comps anyway?
That said, the 197 are better if you are going for moderate power and lots of miles, as they have better piston to bore clearances than you will need to run on forged.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
fit and forget?
no machining etc?
How are the 197 pstonts quality wise?

what is in the maxi kit?

thinking about slowly building an engine up for fun, been reading up on the theory and such.
Might even come over to the UK because parts are soooo much cheaper there....
You'd need to check the combustion chamber for clearance on a 1*2 if using 197 pistons, but other than that yeah pretty much fit and forget.

The maxi kit is something that was offered as an upgrade package for the Clio R3 rally car. There were 2 different packages available - R3 maxi (230hp) or R3 maxi evo (250hp). In the maxi kit you got high comp pistons, heat treated rods, knobbly cams, exhaust manifold and a few other additions.

197 pistons secondhand plus a set of new rings is probably not much cheaper than a set of forged 1*2 high comps anyway?
That said, the 197 are better if you are going for moderate power and lots of miles, as they have better piston to bore clearances than you will need to run on forged.

Yeah I'd agree with that chip definitely. I picked up a set the other day for £150 and I can get forged stuff for about £350 (ish) so it's only worth doing if your cars a daily driver I suppose (from a longevity point of view of course)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow, thats pretty awesome!
Certainly makes the pure one look like its gone the wrong route to get the right lengths!

Everything fits in a 1*2 if you own a big enough grinder and hammer!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wow, thats pretty awesome!
Certainly makes the pure one look like its gone the wrong route to get the right lengths!

Everything fits in a 1*2 if you own a big enough grinder and hammer!
Yeah they're a proper bit of kit ain't they! They're about 1k from Renault as well, so not excessive imo. Lol - hammer and a condom mate! If the hammer don't work, f**k it! Flol