ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interested in a 172

Renault Mégane 1.6e Hatch
Basically, I have a Megane at the moment, but am looking at getting a 172. I just wanna know some basic stuff about them really, i.e if there's a particular year to go for or anything to look out for on them.
I know, I could spend hours searching the forums and pick out bits from hundreds of threads, but really I just need a few bits of information listed to help me along. Cheers for the help and I hope this is in the right place.

Trav

Blown up 182 & Mondeo TDI
Not a lot goes wrong. Check cam belt has been done, not hrashed the normal stuff really. IMO MkII FF is the way to go.

dependant on the model less stuff on the cups , look for a decent warranty incase of problems .

cambelt change , engine mounts (go quite alot) , strut top knocking .

on the look out
just dont jump at the first you see . i took loads of advise of the people on here and it worked wonders now a 172 owner :rasp:

Megane Coupe, 3 Minis :D
Basically, I have a Megane at the moment, but am looking at getting a 172. I just wanna know some basic stuff about them really, i.e if there's a particular year to go for or anything to look out for on them.
I know, I could spend hours searching the forums and pick out bits from hundreds of threads, but really I just need a few bits of information listed to help me along. Cheers for the help and I hope this is in the right place.

Trav

Snap! I've got a Megane Coupe that I'm gonna sell so I can buy a 172! I'm in the same position :D

you on the coupe-club? I recognise the username. There are a few 172's about for sale here on the island so I'll have to go have a peek at some.

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
yer it took me about six 182 before i chose mine gave me something 2 compare against though so i knew what a good one should handle and drive like

DSC02888.JPG

does anyone know what spec this interior is? like a dynamique, privelage etc (if they use those terms on the clios?) And what years these were in, because I went to look at one today which as far as I know looked the same on the outside as the one my friend has been drving, but inside the dash was very different and it had cloth seats. It also had a Cup 172 badge, and I assumed they came with a few luxuries such as the renault sport seats. I want the renaultsport 172 with the leather seats and interior as in the pic, but without SatNav.

172 Cup
The perforated part of the seat has white dotty bits, they are grey on the 172 (think thats the right way)

Yeah tbh I noticed that in the seats, everything else is the same right? My friends is identical to that but without SatNav or dotted seats like that.
RecingRed, excellent offer mate, I'm hoping to have one before I start uni at Chester though.
They're really hard to come across on the island, ringing everyone and some people haven't had any for 2 years lol, everyone says they're rare. Obviously I could buy from UK aswell, I'm just seeing what I can get on the island first.

Ok, I've rang every garage in the phone book on the Isle of Man and they're are zero Clio 172's available, they've either just been sold or they've never had one. There is however one coming in next week and the guy's gonna ring me when its in (I might remind him again on Monday), so fingers crossed for that being a nice one, all he knows is its a 172 on a 52 plate.

(I did try editing my last post but seems I was too late)

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
FF = full fat (slang for standard 182 as opposed to a cup version. e.g it came with heavy extras such as xenons, climate control etc.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i think the MK2 body shape i.e the last shape of the 182 was introduced in '02. Not 100% certain but a quick search on here would clear that up.

The 172 Cup was the first RS model to have this shape. IIRC

Scirocco GT 210
i think the MK2 body shape i.e the last shape of the 182 was introduced in '02. Not 100% certain but a quick search on here would clear that up.

Surely it was the 172 FF which had that (phase 2) shape first? They started in 2001 on a 51 plate (might even get some on a Y plate (I think lol)).

Hyundai i40
if you pop along to the meet at the grand stand tomoz night you can have a look round mine.........mine is a silver FF 172.

Are you after going private or through garage as there are 2 black 172s for sale privately, one in the peel area and one on the road next to where manlink travel use to be just down from athol garage

Eurocars also have a 172 cup for sale for £7k

I know if a blue 182 but it all depends on your budget.

If you pop down tomoz i have a CS sticker on my car so easily spoted

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

Surely it was the 172 FF which had that (phase 2) shape first? They started in 2001 on a 51 plate (might even get some on a Y plate (I think lol)).

no the 172 FF only had to phase 1 look iirc, the cup came out - then they launched the 182 FF after 6 months which carried the new shape.

Scirocco GT 210

no the 172 FF only had to phase 1 look iirc, the cup came out - then they launched the 182 FF after 6 months which carried the new shape.

No there was definately a 172 FF in phase 2 shape, which replaced the phase 1 shape 172. Came out in 2001 before the cup version.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

No there was definately a 172 FF in phase 2 shape, which replaced the phase 1 shape 172. Came out in 2001 before the cup version.

your right, june '01 - phase 2 172 came out.

if you pop along to the meet at the grand stand tomoz night you can have a look round mine.........mine is a silver FF 172.

Are you after going private or through garage as there are 2 black 172s for sale privately, one in the peel area and one on the road next to where manlink travel use to be just down from athol garage

Eurocars also have a 172 cup for sale for £7k

I know if a blue 182 but it all depends on your budget.

If you pop down tomoz i have a CS sticker on my car so easily spoted

Ah right excellent, I don't want the cup as it seems to be more money for less goodies, the FF172's are quick enough anyway and you get all the nice bits. Private or garage I'm open to anything at the moment, am interested in these black ones, will have to have a look around.

So is that tonight at the grand stand? What sort of time as I will be coming into douglas tonight and could pop by. You'll hear me coming, my car sounds like a bi-plane.

There are some Y plate (not many) phase 2 172's though.
There all dealership and demo cars realy although Im sure some were early sold models as such to the public.

172 /megane cab
i sould my megne for a 172 cup in 2003 then got a bmw 330 missed the speed and the sporty drive of the clio so got a wrx uk300 and stll missed my clio in its own way so got another one telling ya do it you will love it to bits

yer trust me I want to, drove a mates the other day and I need one! Just need something wthin budget and want to know how much I should be paying for this car before the bloke sells it, they disappear so quickly and are bitches to come by.

edit: thank you :)

lol nah I'm not interested in a cup, there was an FF in the paper today, another black one, '02, 28k, for £6,000! I rang him up and its already gone, no surprise really. Anyone got this other one to look at tomorrow, so let's see...