ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior light LED stays on

Clio 182 FF
Has anyone found a fix for using LEDs in the interior lights? Other than ditching the LED and going back to a normal bulb! I guess it needs a resistor or a specially designed bulb?

For those that haven’t tried, there’s a problem when you replace the interior courtesy light with an LED bulb. When it’s meant to be “off” the LED actually stays on dimly and never properly goes out. From searching on here it happens to everyone who swaps their bulb for an LED and apparently it’s a problem with how the dimmer fades the lights on/off for opening the doors and it’s only designed for normal bulbs

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've seen this problem mentioned before quite alot . I can't remember the solution . But i have these 7 LED 501's in my sidelights , been running them for about 2 years now with no problems and they match my xenons perfectly . So i Put the 2 spare ones in my interior light and i've never had that problem . I think it's down to who manufactures the LED bulbs . Some do it , some don't . It might be worth trying a different LED ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221113413693?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

'05 BG RS182 FF
I initially "upgraded" my interior map/reading 501's for white SMD's, immediately noticing the amount of heat they kicked off when left on for an extended period of time.

The heat was actually causing them to flicker! Another problem was they didn't give the dimming effect of a conventional bulb.

I obviously had to find an alternative to negate the risk of fire and opted for a set of LED's i found on eBay (which the seller claimed were dim-able). After fitting these they're not as white nor as bright as the SMD's fitted previously were (nor do they dim as the seller claimed :dapprove:) however they were cooler, which is something.

I haven't really had chance to look for other solutions but i'm still in the market for alternatives. So, if anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears :approve:

Last edited:
  '05 BG RS182 FF
I digress, i didn't meant to hijack..

I forgot to mention on the end since fitting the LED's i notice the same dim glow as you mention. This wasn't the case when using the SMD's.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
As above, it's due to the dimming circuit. There's always a few volts going through there even with a conventional bulb. LEDs also react faster than conventional bulbs hence the slightly erratic dimming.

However a conventional bulb needs a lot more juice to start emitting light than an LED does, so this small voltage is enough to get the LEDs to light dimly.

I just got used to it, the improved output more than makes up for it.

Clio 182 FF
As above, it's due to the dimming circuit. There's always a few volts going through there even with a conventional bulb. LEDs also react faster than conventional bulbs hence the slightly erratic dimming.

However a conventional bulb needs a lot more juice to start emitting light than an LED does, so this small voltage is enough to get the LEDs to light dimly.

I just got used to it, the improved output more than makes up for it.

Yep. I'm just awkward and don't want to get used to it :p.

I bought these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291202316707
Work fine but loose the fade in/out ability.
Cheers. I don't care about fading/dimming, all I want is them on when they're meant to be on and off when they're meant to be off :p.

'05 BG RS182 FF
Think i might invest in some of these..
501-300-02.jpg
Reviews claim their the business, if a little expensive

Has anyone found a fix for using LEDs in the interior lights? Other than ditching the LED and going back to a normal bulb! I guess it needs a resistor or a specially designed bulb?

For those that haven’t tried, there’s a problem when you replace the interior courtesy light with an LED bulb. When it’s meant to be “off” the LED actually stays on dimly and never properly goes out. From searching on here it happens to everyone who swaps their bulb for an LED and apparently it’s a problem with how the dimmer fades the lights on/off for opening the doors and it’s only designed for normal bulbs
I have the same problem, tbh I didn't even think it was a problem. Only noticed it the other day as my sister said it. I don't mind it being on though :)

'05 BG RS182 FF
Cant see anywhere on OSRAMs site that they suit dimmable or CANBUS systems. I would be worried about spending £10+ and then them being no better than £2 Chinese specials!

I've accepted loosing the fade in/out (dimming) feature is probably going to a given if i want more light output.

Buying LED's off eBay is always a bit hit and miss. Least if i spend a bit of money on a decent product that's been engineered for the application intended i might see better results. I could end up spending more than that in the long run looking for something suitable :)

'05 BG RS182 FF
I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that the Osram LED's don't include the CANBUS resistors.. That's not a problem for the Clio though :)

These 501's are designed for interior applications only

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that the Osram LED's don't include the CANBUS resistors.. That's not a problem for the Clio though :)

These 501's are designed for interior applications only

I think its more that they are NOT designed for exterior applications than designed specifically for interior. They have used the interior caveat to cover themselves, as changing colours/types of bulb would technically void any type approval.