ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Internal harddive help - Faulty? (linux OS)

Polo + Micra
I'm trying to build my nas pc and i'm struggling with one of the HDD's

I've formatted the drive and tried to partition it to 2 1TB partitions (it's a wd wd20ears)

but every time it fails:dapprove:

tried to erase the MBR but that didn't help

anyone know what could be wrong? or is it just a dud that needs returning?

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
After some research, It seems that it's a common issue with Ubuntu / Linux and wd20ears.

Have you tried looking at the format? If it's GUID then you may want to try reformatting the drive as MBR. There are some reports that this solves the issue of not being able to partition.

1.2 Mk2 Clio P1
Is this drive that you're trying to format that doesn't work your primary drive and the other that does a secondary?

EDIT: Found some information that may be of use to you. It appears that the Ears drives use an advanced formatting and you need to align the drives. Not 100% sure if it will fix the partitoning issue but it can't hurt to get better speed from your drives.

See here for link on how to do it: http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...advanced-format-hard-drives-792046/page2.html

Last edited:
  Polo + Micra
the one i am trying to format is /dev/sda and the other /dev/sdb

sdb is has MBR "formatting" and ext4 partitions and is working spot on

i managed to get some partitions on the drive and manged to get one 88gb partition but can't get another after that.

also when if fails it boots it off the list of drives and won't come back till i restart

Polo + Micra
i'm giving it

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

to see it that does anything but looks like it will take a while on a 2TB drive lol