ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

internet boffins please feel free to help

172,scenic, trafic
ok, i have talktalk bb( its fine normally and never had a problem so no talktalk bashers please.lol) for last 3 months the internet drops out alot. laptop keeps coming up with dns error which i no is usually caused by no internet connection. i can use it to a certain extent as im on here posting. however when i log my xbox in it kicks me off after a minute saying xbox not receiving icmp responses? i assume this is due to the same problem but what i dont get is my xbox gets booted straight away whereas my htc and laptop retain some sort of connection. i havent chainsawed anyone over xmas and its getting depressing! talktalk sent a new router which hasnt cured it and they also did a line test which was fine. next step is to get bt involved, any ideas anyone?

172,scenic, trafic
How many devices are using Wifi? You may have a device sharing the same IP causing problems.

well my htc uses it. my daughters htc, my xbox, the laptop and the printer. it does it with printer not plugged in so its not that. i unplugged the fone to check it wasnt that interfering. the filter plugs straight into the bt test socket, there are no extension leads and only one incoming socket. i plugged the laptop in using the ethernet lead and it made no difference

When its NOT working, try pinging (via command prompt "ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX") the IP address of google (209.85.147.104). If you can still ping this IP address then the DNS is your problem, and changing the server as suggested above will work, however you should take it up with talk talk, as quite simply these DNS server should be working and will be your most direct route to a DNS server (thus a faster response).

If you cant ping the IP, then your connection is down full stop, so see the router control panel for the logs and check to see if the Up/Down channels are up, noise on the line can cause it to drop so check the ratios.

Cheers,
Si

172,scenic, trafic
When its NOT working, try pinging (via command prompt "ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX") the IP address of google (209.85.147.104). If you can still ping this IP address then the DNS is your problem, and changing the server as suggested above will work, however you should take it up with talk talk, as quite simply these DNS server should be working and will be your most direct route to a DNS server (thus a faster response).

If you cant ping the IP, then your connection is down full stop, so see the router control panel for the logs and check to see if the Up/Down channels are up, noise on the line can cause it to drop so check the ratios.

Cheers,
Si
Many thanks for your help si but could you put that in simpleton terms please.lol
I'm not stupid and am reasonably competent but most of that went over my head

Err many thanks for

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Many thanks for your help si but could you put that in simpleton terms please.lol
I'm not stupid and am reasonably competent but most of that went over my head

Err many thanks for

Start button (if using windows)
Run
Type CMD and press return
Type ping (ip address listed earlier) and press return

DO THIS WHEN YOUR CONNECTION ISN'T WORKING PROPERLY. To see if its a DNS or complete connection issue.
Post up the results of the ping tests, run it a couple of times and note the TTL or whether you you didn't get a response at all.

Chances are your connection is dropped completely at those times given the xbox is complainting about ICMP messages as well. From then on its a process of elimination. EG, do you have another router or modem to compare? upgrade the firmware on your modem/router - then ring talk talk with the results and see what they say.

172,scenic, trafic
well according to my laptop internet is still up but text loads ok, or some of it but some doesnt, instaed it shows a dns error. my htc stops responding at the same ti me. however, i log into xbox live at any time of the day and it boots me two mins later? i dont get why the laptop etc has partial connec tion but xbox nothing, when i test connection on xbox it says its not receiving icmp responses.
i have another router, whic h i was using up until a week ago which is the same

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
The laptop will just be loading cached parts of the pages - and maybe even the connection is re-trying and it'll grasp a small amount of data to display (text is less than imagery).

DNS errors will be either in contacting the DNS server completely (which would mean you connection is 99.9% disconnected at this point) or there is an issue with DNS lookups due to speed to the dns server etc - which would be a joke if your connection was that slow.

Talktalk will need to be consulted here, you have enough evidence to request them to do something by eliminating the hardware.

172,scenic, trafic
i have just spoken to talktalk who have done a line test and said they can see all dropped connections, i can book a bt engineer to come look and hope prob is there end.lol

172,scenic, trafic
The laptop will just be loading cached parts of the pages - and maybe even the connection is re-trying and it'll grasp a small amount of data to display (text is less than imagery).

DNS errors will be either in contacting the DNS server completely (which would mean you connection is 99.9% disconnected at this point) or there is an issue with DNS lookups due to speed to the dns server etc - which would be a joke if your connection was that slow.

Talktalk will need to be consulted here, you have enough evidence to request them to do something by eliminating the hardware.

ok i lost connection as web pages wouldnt load and checked ping , ttl is 51. would just like to point out according to laptop i was still online tho

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i have just spoken to talktalk who have done a line test and said they can see all dropped connections, i can book a bt engineer to come look and hope prob is there end.lol

if they are anything like virgin engineers then it will take three months and about 10 visits before it is working correctly.

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Clearly there's a problem with the SYNC to the ISAM in the local telephone exchange. Before doing anything I would factory reset the router and remove and reseat all cabling. If this doesn't work the problem is likely to be down to one of several reasons :

Faulty router.

Faulty cabling in the premises.

There maybe electrical interference that has been introduced to the copper telephone line. Interference can vary throughout the day, depending on what is going on around the ducting that carries your telephone cable back to the exchange.

The copper telephone line may have been physically damaged.

There is problem with the ISAM or local cabling in the exchange.

The most likely cause will be the router. The best thing for you to do is factory reset the router and reseat all cabling. If possible try and upgrade the firmware. It may also be worth checking online and finding out if there are any common problems with the router you have (most of the free home DSL ones are crap anyway and don't SYNC as well as more expensive DSL routers).

172,scenic, trafic
hi 182 pete, done the router thing, is also a week old router. cables etc all new , filter plugs straight into test socket so no extensions etc. have turned off anything electrical next to router. cant see anything that can cause it inside now. in the last hour 50 per cent of the time i try to load a web page i cant. and wat is a isam?lol

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Islam... Is what the iPhone types!

After you've ruled out what we have discussed, it's a carrier problem.
Talk talk will have to resolve now via whoever provides your physical line if applicable.

Out of interest is there any 'noise' on your phone handset?
Do you know how far you are from your exchange?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
If it was me, thinking along Pete182 lines here, just to be sure I would try and get your hands on a decent router plugged directly into the master socket. I know TT have sent a replacement router out to you but they aren't all that great. I've seen similar things to you on a TT supplied router and you would think the errors pointed to a line problem. However, I patched an old router I had knocking around and the connection has been stable for 3+wks.

After carrying out some further diags. the TT router was doing some very strange things. WebUi failed to load (knew the router was to blame at this point) and also it not leasing DHCP on several occasions! Might be buggy firmware or overheating.

So in summary, for your own peice of mind try an known good router and reduce the risk of incurring a carrier call out fee:(

172,scenic, trafic
Many thanks for all help so far, Mr bt man has been at my house since ten this morning and has detected two faults on the five mile stretch between my house and the exchange. Somewhere along the line there is either water in a connection or two lines touching each other. SO at least I no they have detected a fault, just got to find it now. Will let you no

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Islam... Is what the iPhone types!

After you've ruled out what we have discussed, it's a carrier problem.
Talk talk will have to resolve now via whoever provides your physical line if applicable.

Out of interest is there any 'noise' on your phone handset?
Do you know how far you are from your exchange?

Lol

ISAM (Intelligent Services Access Manager) is a broadband mux manufactured by Alcatel Lucent.

Talktalk use Alcatel Lucent ISAM's and Huawei MSAN's in their LLU environment.

There is a chance the fault could lie there, but it's likely to be the router.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Many thanks for all help so far, Mr bt man has been at my house since ten this morning and has detected two faults on the five mile stretch between my house and the exchange. Somewhere along the line there is either water in a connection or two lines touching each other. SO at least I no they have detected a fault, just got to find it now. Will let you no

Glad to hear it, at least the provider has got the carrier to sort out and you've done your bit. Just wait and see now.

172,scenic, trafic
Well at found two faults and fixed them, line tested ok. As he drove off wife got kicked off the laptop. Xbox still a no no. Have been told to buy a corded phone to check for noise on line as I get kid odd crackle on calls. Fun

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Well at found two faults and fixed them, line tested ok. As he drove off wife got kicked off the laptop. Xbox still a no no. Have been told to buy a corded phone to check for noise on line as I get kid odd crackle on calls. Fun

Any crackling is not good, you can go straight to BT with that. I would suspect the faults haven't been fixed by the sounds of it and I'd be straight back onto them. We had crackling on the line (you can hear it at just a normal dial tone) and it made the internet a no go until BT resolved the issue. I would suggest testing another filter - or just remove it all together and see if the crackling is still there, but 99.9% sure the issue(s) are not resolved and they'll be back out when you kick off.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
That's good quality service by the ISP then!

As Danny said listen for crackling on the line, always testing plugged into the master socket. Dial 1 to clear the dial tone to make it easier. Then test each micro filter one at a time, plugged into the master socket to see if any extra noise is introduced.

Still wouldnt rule out the router though.

BMW335M/Clio200/182
Have you tried removing your phones and filters completely and just using the router. If not get a POTS to RJ11 cable and plug the router directly into the main socket.

You can buy these cables off ebay for £1. The cable should be as short as possible.

172,scenic, trafic
Yes I have removed everything. Oddly Fri night I didn't get booted off xbox all night but it was laggy in places. Last night it was awful tho