ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Introduction & First Question

K Reg Renault Clio 1.4
Aloha, new blood here (stop licking those lips).

Afew things, I own a 1992 Renault Clio 1.4 (First ever car, go me) & am currently learning to drive in it, much to my pleasure.

As for my question, would anybody be able to either explain or point in an accurate direction to answer my query.

Basically, I would like to know what the perfect mph is to change gears smoothly & also what revs (I know that's only useful for the heel & toe technique but still handy to know).

If anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Ciao, Puro-Estasi.

Clio 172 cup mk2
Depends if you want to drive economically or not! Being a learner driver im guessing you won't be driving fast for a while. No one can tell you that in first gear you have top change at 21.5658mph for uptimum shifting!

Advice from me is not to revv to hard when accelerating from a junction. There are so many factors to take into account i.e speed limit on the road. If 30mph then you hardly need to accelerate but if you are pulling out on a 60mph you will need to accelerate a little harder.

I own a 172 cup and i like to change gear at 2k RPM to minimise fuel consumption and when im on a 60mph road I will accelerate a little harder up to 3.5 -4krpm. Its swings and roundabouts!
Some more important advice is to change gear smoothly. Try not to ride the clutch cause it will wear quickly. Try not to force/ram the gearbox into gear this can cause damage to the synchromesh in the gearbox and a gearbox replacement/repair would damage your wallet.

I'm no driving expert so anyone feel free to correct my advice or add to it

i like to change at about 4 1/2 -5000 as i feel 16v like to be pushed abit, you get the most out of them.

Basically, I would like to know what the perfect mph is to change gears smoothly & also what revs (I know that's only useful for the heel & toe technique but still handy to know).
There is no perfect since it cannot exist, smooth and quick are the ideal.It depend what your after.

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
takes practice mate every car is differant you just have to learn yours there is no hard and fast rule when im driving arount normally i change at about 2800 got 182 clio

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
just change when u feel it can handle a higher gear... and try keep crusing at about 1.5k revs thats easy ehough rule but if you want to blast about, then 5k revs make the car respond nice and you feel like your goin really fast wen ur pulled into your seat :):)

Clio 1.2/ Impreza Type R
TBH mate i would worry about learning to drive properly 1st then you can worry about being smooth