ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 12

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My 12 pro turned up today.

Set it up from a backup of my XS, what a f**king pain they've made it. Last time it just worked, this time I was forced to enable 2 factor and the keychain sync kept failing, had to keep signing out and in again until it worked. Not very slick at all.

Anyway, it's set up now, doesn't seem any different 😆

The camera is far better though, especially low light and with wide angle, and the screen being slightly bigger is actually very noticeable. I wouldn't say day to day performance is better but there was nothing wrong with the XS in that department. Oh and it's nice to no longer have constant nagging saying I'm almost out of storage, gone from a 64GB to a 256GB, much better!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's kinda the iPhone game. Even my mum's old phone looks like a new homescreen now.

A home screen, I will add, that I am still not allowed, to choose where my icons go. Listen to Apple. They know where you icons should go! All the way to the f**king top of the massive screen!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yeh I know, 11 years of iPhones now, can't change as I'm so invested in the eco system and it all works for me.

I do miss getting a new phone and it feeling new, both iOS and Android don't offer this any more. Back in the day swapping from a Nokia to a Samsung sliding phone to a Moto V3 to a Sony Ericsson camera phone all felt really special and new, those days are over.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Yeh I know, 11 years of iPhones now, can't change as I'm so invested in the eco system and it all works for me.

The swap over is really simple nowadays.
(Apple to android that is)
The swap back takes a bit of time though. My last phones have gone.
iPhone 8 > Samsung S9 > 11 pro

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The swap over is really simple nowadays.
(Apple to android that is)
The swap back takes a bit of time though. My last phones have gone.
iPhone 8 > Samsung S9 > 11 pro
More meant iPhone/iPad/MBP - all work so well together and integrates seamlessly.

RS4
My 12 pro turned up today.

Set it up from a backup of my XS, what a f**king pain they've made it. Last time it just worked, this time I was forced to enable 2 factor and the keychain sync kept failing, had to keep signing out and in again until it worked. Not very slick at all.

Anyway, it's set up now, doesn't seem any different 😆

The camera is far better though, especially low light and with wide angle, and the screen being slightly bigger is actually very noticeable. I wouldn't say day to day performance is better but there was nothing wrong with the XS in that department. Oh and it's nice to no longer have constant nagging saying I'm almost out of storage, gone from a 64GB to a 256GB, much better!

I moved from a 7 to a 12. I didnt really see much difference. Yes its quicker and the camera is better.

Reactions: DrR

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I can’t get over how good this camera is in low light. Stunning performance.
82918BFF-479C-44FB-862D-83C68CDE5F19.jpeg

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
So now you guys have been using these for a while whats the opinion? Worth it?. I broke my iphone 6 this morning. There are deals on the iphone 11 so they work out about 60% vs the cost of the 12. I've not paid for a new phone for a long time now so pressing the button on a top of the range phone goes against my institutionalised habits.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not really any different than my XR day to day. Feels nicer in the hand and more solid, screen seems a bit sharper, but nothing outstanding.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Ordered a 12 Pro this morning. Delivery is not for 3 weeks though so potentially week 1 of 2021.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not really any different than my XR day to day. Feels nicer in the hand and more solid, screen seems a bit sharper, but nothing outstanding.
The screen offers a big difference being Oled, as does the camera from my impressions.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
So now you guys have been using these for a while whats the opinion? Worth it?. I broke my iphone 6 this morning. There are deals on the iphone 11 so they work out about 60% vs the cost of the 12. I've not paid for a new phone for a long time now so pressing the button on a top of the range phone goes against my institutionalised habits.
I'm happy with it as an upgrade from my XS, really love the camera, screen and longer battery life (that could just be new battery though).

If I had a pre-X like a 6 I'd be very happy indeed. You obviously keep your phone a long time so you might aswell buy the newest as it'll be supported the longest.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I bottled it. The three to four week lead time did it really and I picked up an Iphone SE. My old phone was too far gone to hold out.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently due an upgrade and using a XS Max currently. The Mrs has just got the 12 pro max and it weighs a bloody tonne!

I'm in a real predicament now whether to get the 12 pro and not max...hmmm

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Will have a 2 month old red 64gb for sale next week if anyone is interested. Before I put it on eBay.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
How is everyone getting on with their 12 Pro Max? Is it worth it over the 12 Pro? I’ll be upgrading from an XS.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It depends. I'd call the Max the photographer's phone. In usual daylight, up close situations, there's very little to recommend the max. But at night, the bigger sensor helps a lot. The sensor shift gives you slightly better stabilization which probably doesn't make a difference in everyday pictures of your mates but helps you take that night exposure or film that video, and probably the most noticeable advantage is the extra reach on the telephoto - I've often found myself crying for more zoom on an iPhone and any extra length helps if you're wanting to get that quick trackside photo... but it's not a massive leap and again not really noticeable if you're just taking average close up pictures. In short - you'd need to really care about photography to want the Max for its cameras.

The only other features that may swing it for the max are the bigger screen (which is either an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how much you sit watching videos and how much you just want a little pocket dialer), and bigger battery which is still not massive but decently large to not be a worry most of the time, obviously with the smaller phones battery life takes a bit of a hit compared to last gen because of the 5G modem.

I came from an XR and nobody was going around saying that was massive even though it's almost the same size, so I don't really get all the arguing over that. If you've not had a 'big' iPhone before it'll be a bit of a shock for the first 10 minutes and then you'll be used to it... if you've already used an XR/XS Max etc you're already pretty much used to holding the edge of the screen against the base of your fingers, giving yourself most of your palm to get across the screen rather than just using your thumb with your phone resting on your palm like with smaller phones.

If you actively want the extra screen size or the cameras you'll probably already be fairly set on going for the Max. The Pro scores a lot of points though for being 99% as good whilst being like 15% lighter and smaller.

Reactions: Ben

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Fair assessment above! I've played with the pro and normal 12. Both a nice size! The max isn't for everyone.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Well I’ve ordered the Pacific Blue Pro Max! I’ve always wanted one of the larger iPhones and I use my XS all the time for taking photos so I’m hoping the better camera will be noticeable.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone using a case on their Pro Max? I’ve always used the genuine Apple leather cases but it’s £59 for the Max which is a step too far for me.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got to wait until Thursday for my Max, it feels like I ordered it ages ago.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The kind DHL man delivered my new phone earlier this afternoon. Gotta love the zippy setup process of iDevices.

Reactions: DrR

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
See for me the decision with the max pro isnt the size with me currently having a XS max, It's the weight. They're seriously heavy imo. I've still not decided what to do.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It’s probably the feel from design change which is important in this gen change.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’m loving my upgrade from a XS to the Pro Max. The larger screen is so much nicer.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
The larger battery is awesome in comparison to my XS. I only need to charge every other night with the same usage as before.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The battery is great. As you say I rarely need to charge it while I'm in work even if I spend all day hotspotting off the thing which to be honest is bloody good going for an iPhone.