ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4 16GB - Stuck in DFU Mode...

I've tried kicking it out with TinyUmbrella and iREB and no luck but the story goes...

iOS 5.1.1 I jailbroke it using Absinthe a few months back all was well. Then I got the iPhone 5 so my sisters boyfriend wanted my old 4. I tried installing UltraSn0w through Cydia to unlock the carrier turns out it doesn't work. So I tried a Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings. This didn't work as it has something to do with Cydia not liking it. Connected to iTunes in DFU mode and told it to do a restore, it downloaded the 5.1.1 IPSW file and got to preparing phone for recovery. It threw up an error (cant remember the code but I have had soooo many different codes its not funny).

After a bit of research iREB was mentioned to tell iTunes to stop popping up error messages, oh before iREB I tried TinyUmbrella TSS Server (started) iTunes still through an error. Anyway iREB Stopped iTunes popping up any errors just fine and it got right to the end of restoring then it through up an error... Now the phone won't even boot the iOS or go into DFU mode.

It has the connect to iTunes icon on. I have used both TinyUmbrella and iREB to kick it out of boot mode it just goes back round to that icon. It's obvious iTunes almost finished the restore and corrupted the iOS on the device. How do I go about getting iOS back on it? iTunes just keeps throwing up errors. I even took my 5.1.1 SHSH Blobs off the phone and stitched it with RedSn0w to a factory standard iOS 5.1.1 still didn't like that -.-'

I am confused

I have seen that you can use a software on Linux to restore an ISPW file without iTubes but it requires compiling on a linux platform 1) I don't have a spare computer to run a linux platform ( I can't see it working with a Vmachine) 2) I don't know how to use the console to compile it.
/rant.

Have you tried re-jailbraking it again with a program that doesn't need it to be booted into the OS.

Maybe something along the lines of Redsnow, I'm unsure if that program even supports 5.1.1.

I personally am not a fan of doing a restore(factory reset) on the device itself it always throws up errors in one way or another.

You seem way more in the know but that's my two pennies worth :)

When I try redsn0w or Absinthe both the device is already jailbroken. Although I haven't tried since it has damaged iOS it seems? Might give it yet another go tonight after work.

Kane I have looked through everything LOL left no stone unturned it's driving me bonkers.

Haven't attempted that yet mate, when I click restore in iTunes without selecting a custom firmware and letting iTunes do the talking it goes and gets 5.1.1 from the iTunes servers. I could always download the iOS6 ISPW from a site and give it a go with selecting my own firmware on a restore?

Surely you are trying to unlock this device through a jailbreak so iOS6 is out the window for what you wanted, right? But then you'll hopefully have a functioning iPhone.

Unless a doubtful jailbreak for iOS6 is about.

When I click restore Revels it's just reading whats already on the phone and downloading It. It's not downloading iOS 6 :( and cheers phuzion I got the 5.1.1 from there and tried a shift restore it just throws up and error during preparing phone for restore. I even tried it with tiny umbrella running and it still throws up errors.

Surely you are trying to unlock this device through a jailbreak so iOS6 is out the window for what you wanted, right? But then you'll hopefully have a functioning iPhone.

Unless a doubtful jailbreak for iOS6 is about.

Well my sisters boyfriends mate said he will unlock it to any carrier by deleting some of the numbers he took from the phone out of the apple database? Or something. iOS 6 does have a jailbreak but its tethered which is useless. Since his mate can do a carrier unlock through apple the jailbreak no longer matters just want an iOS back on it and working jailbroke or not.

Finally sorted it seems Revels you was right in a way mate. Since I installed and ran TinyUmbrella it kept editing my host file to block apple and redirect it to Cydia. Also since I was trying to restore to 5.1.1 Apple didn't allow that as it seemed iOS 6 is their latest software so 5.1.1 was seen as a "Downgrade" which we all know Apple doesn't like downgrades. So I went on a computer downstairs which has never seen an iPhone connected to it in it's life. Downloaded iTunes, plugged in said iPhone and clicked restore. Sure enough iTunes was allowed to download iOS6 and installed it to the phone no problem! So the phone it back working to normal now just waiting on this carrier unlock to take place :)

Epic

Thanks guys, only took me 3 days to do it.

Benz
If your problem is only about iPhone getting stuck in DFU mode:
To get iPhone out of the DFU mode or out of Recovery mode, simply disconnect your device from your computer,
and press and hold the "Home" and "Power" buttons for ten seconds. Then you should be able to boot the iPhone normally.

Unless your iPhone have other complications.
But if the restoring went well without any errors,
you should be able to get out of DFU mode by doing above.