ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 4/iOS4 Info (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  VaVa
lol.

That's a pretty major flaw. I'll bet a pound to a piece of s**t that the fan boys will happily just accept it and say it's 'nothing, just don't hold it there, like Steve said, durr"

:D

Revels Mum & Sister
Does the iPhone 4 makes calls? LOL

I have made a few calls in low and high signal areas and not had any issues. The calls have been fine. Obviously I am not holding it in that way.

Mondeo STTDCI
I dont know what to make of it all really.

I mean, Apple obviously had knowledge of this issue, selling the bumper as THE case at launch.

Therefore is it really a flaw, or just a consequence of the design? And accepted by Apple? Obviously there have to be compromises in any design of any product....is this an intended one or one they discovered too late?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I don't think it was a compromise, I think its a complete a accident, as I said, it's impossible to drop signal in a 100% 3G area, I literally can't do it, but with normal signal, it drops like a stone if you hold it quite naturally, or if you hold is sideways to web browse etc.

VaVa
I dont know what to make of it all really.

I mean, Apple obviously had knowledge of this issue, selling the bumper as THE case at launch.

Therefore is it really a flaw, or just a consequence of the design? And accepted by Apple? Obviously there have to be compromises in any design of any product....is this an intended one or one they discovered too late?

Lol. Regardless of how you try and dress it up, a PHONE who's design can cause it to lose signal under certain conditions is a design flaw. Whilst all the little gimmicks on the iPhones are lovely, for most people its fundamental purpose is to act as a communication device.

It'll be interesting to see what happens as it's a widespread issue.

I'd assume over the next few days more and more will air their views after being hands on.

E87 118d M Sport
Just incase anyone wasnt aware, the monthly data cap that is advertised in the contract on O2 (500Mb for me) does NOT kick in until October.

Feel free to use as much data as you wish until than.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Just incase anyone wasnt aware, the monthly data cap that is advertised in the contract on O2 (500Mb for me) does NOT kick in until October.

Feel free to use as much data as you wish until than.

I would.. but I can't get a signal lol am I still holding it wrong ?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Deekay needs to step away from the iPhone for a day or two!

I have no issues with signal; WiFi is way better and 3G seems the same. Amazing that they could overlook such a fundamental design issue. I suspect they may go down the route of compensation in some way as opposed to a recall and replacement. People saying it makes their phone "unusable" must be in dodgy signal areas to start with?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Its a mobile phone which you hold that doesn't work as a phone if you hold it.

I'd call that a fairly major issue.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I have no issues with signal; WiFi is way better and 3G seems the same. Amazing that they could overlook such a fundamental design issue. I suspect they may go down the route of compensation in some way as opposed to a recall and replacement. People saying it makes their phone "unusable" must be in dodgy signal areas to start with?

I go from full off the scale signal to "searching" if I bridge the gap in the lower left by touching it with a single finger..

Major design flaw..

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

You can't blame thier current signal areas. My 3GS has got 3 bars on voda currently. When held or laid flat on the desk none of the 4's would get a signal here.

E87 118d M Sport
Maybe this is Apples subliminal way of making the networks pull their finger out so they upgrade to supply a much stronger signal. That way you wont have to always have wi-fi for FaceTime.

edit - Ive pressed the intertubes sarcasm button incase your wondering.

I've had bad signal before, but that's down to the network, never the phone.

Just did a quick test.

Left hand (fingers on right side, palm on left side and bottom) = 0-1 bars
Left hand (fingers on right side, thumb on left, phone hovering on hand but not touching palm) = 5 bars
Right hand (fingers on left side, palm on right side and bottom) = 5 bars

0f3f06e1.gif

a1dc6dd2.gif

My misses was all set for getting one yesterday but they had sold out... lucky for her I guess as she is left handed!!

E87 118d M Sport
The ONLY downside to this case was the scratches inflicted on the bezel. This cant happen this time round so ill be getting one too

BMW E46 330i Touring
I wasn't saying it wasn't a major issue, just that I personally didn't seem to be affected. This is down to how I hold the phone though, as when I touch that bit of the metal banding the signal goes from 2/3 bars of 3G to 1/2 of just 'normal' / 'o' signal.

As said, won't affect me but obviously a major Apple issue. They can't just say 'tough s**t' as they will lose hundreds of thousands of loyal customers. I'll keep using as normal but will keep an eye out to see what they say in the longer term.

172//Crap Micra//Bus
You could always just turn the wi-fi off, no?! Might even gain some extra battery life! Either way, I doubt it'll affect me to much, ill still get one.

S23

The Cleee-O
Mine isn't picking up any signal at all! :( How long should I have to wait once the new sim card is in before it works? Been a couple of hours now...and I've restored it once already. :(

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, I'm sure this will irritate people... but, you have to hold it like a right flid in order for the signal to drop that much! Do people really press the whole phone into their hand when talking, as this is the only way I can see that you would touch the bottom when using it...?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Mine's not doing it... :S

I feel like i'm missing out.

I thought mine was, but i just work in a office that has strange features that cause signal to jump about wildly.

Its happening with everyone's phones here.

Nokia's SE's and other phones that poor people use.

1.8 Civic EX
whats everyones thoughts on the battery life so far? Gave it a good full charge over night last night. Used it about as much today as I would have used the old one and I'm down to 80% already :S

Status
Not open for further replies.