ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 6 thread.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
But by that theory, our windscreen's on our cars would never get scratched because it's just stone and rubber that hit's them. Eventually, everything start's to marr/dull. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Are windscreens made from sapphire glass!? I never thought they would be, stuff is mega expensive :S

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Well there's only one way to find out buddy! I'm sure they know what they're doing, although I don't fully trust every decision they've made this year.

£25 a unit. Not the highs of £70 a unit when the iphone 5 came out, or £45 on the ipad mini or £40 on the xbox one but £150 is £150 for minimal effort! I always do it with new releases! Gots to make some money every oppurtunity

I think you answered your own question tbh! ;)
Not a dig but did you really spend circa £3k to make £150 profit?

Misses Spigen Ultra Hybrid Arrived today with crystal clear screen protectors. Case is nice, protects well and fairly slim. Down side, due to the curved edges the screen protectors are just not wide enough and cut in to the screen slightly which is a little annoying.

Inferno 182 CUP
Just traded all mine into CEX
a9y8ygab.jpg

t***s like you are why most people in this thread are still waiting for one. Scalping .. What a turd!

dk

911 GTS Cab
LOL! No, but I meant in general glass it's supposed to be able to scratched by certain things, yet repeated abuse often does cause damage.
glass can only be scratched by something with a harder compound than it, sapphire glass is f**king hard, think it may be a diamond is the only thing that can scratch it, i would need to google it though.

a car windscreen having a stone hit it at 70mph will indeed crack, its a small hard thing hitting something at speed, just like when you drop an iPhone on the ground the glass shatters.

i dropped my iPhone on the floor, back down and the glass at the top and bottom both smashed completely, the camera lens didn't have a scratch on it, and hasn't after 2 years of ownership and placing it on objects without a case, its bloody tough, you won't be scratching it unless its intentional.

they wanted to make the front glass from the same material i believe, it didn't happen this time around, maybe in the future, i suspect its either down to cost, or manufacturing or supply difficulties, as its the biggest issue with the phone, one drop and its likely to smash.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
FLOL.. I think it's awesome, guy's sensible, spent money to make money, i considered leaving mine in the box last night and putting on eBay for a quick profit.

Agree! Stick 3k in a savings account and earn next to f**k all over a year, or spend 3k on tech and take advantage of the fact people will pay an inflated price to get hold of one when stock runs out. 150 quid in the space of a week.

ST
Agree! Stick 3k in a savings account and earn next to f**k all over a year, or spend 3k on tech and take advantage of the fact people will pay an inflated price to get hold of one when stock runs out. 150 quid in the space of a week.

Indeed, it's certainly not to be sniffed at !

I have my second iPhone 64gb 6 due next wk on my other line.. Hmm.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
glass can only be scratched by something with a harder compound than it, sapphire glass is f**king hard, think it may be a diamond is the only thing that can scratch it, i would need to google it though.

a car windscreen having a stone hit it at 70mph will indeed crack, its a small hard thing hitting something at speed, just like when you drop an iPhone on the ground the glass shatters.

i dropped my iPhone on the floor, back down and the glass at the top and bottom both smashed completely, the camera lens didn't have a scratch on it, and hasn't after 2 years of ownership and placing it on objects without a case, its bloody tough, you won't be scratching it unless its intentional.

they wanted to make the front glass from the same material i believe, it didn't happen this time around, maybe in the future, i suspect its either down to cost, or manufacturing or supply difficulties, as its the biggest issue with the phone, one drop and its likely to smash.

Rubber wipers mark glass over time as Rob points out.

Fiesta ST3
Misses Spigen Ultra Hybrid Arrived today with crystal clear screen protectors. Case is nice, protects well and fairly slim. Down side, due to the curved edges the screen protectors are just not wide enough and cut in to the screen slightly which is a little annoying.
I have exactly the same on my 6 I like the case but the screen protector is doing my head in tempted to take it off already

dk

911 GTS Cab
Rubber wipers mark glass over time as Rob points out.
Isn't that from things getting inbetween the glass and the rubber though and engraving themselves in?

its simple physics really, or chemistry, been a while since I was at school ;)

anyway, it's irrelevant as windscreens aren't made out of sapphire crystal glass as also pointed out above.

Some watch faces are, ask the people who have those if they have scratches on, none of mine do.

ST
Isn't that from things getting inbetween the glass and the rubber though and engraving themselves in?

its simple physics really, or chemistry, been a while since I was at school ;)

anyway, it's irrelevant as windscreens aren't made out of sapphire crystal glass as also pointed out above.

Some watch faces are, ask the people who have those if they have scratches on, none of mine do.

My Carrera has a few marks on the Sapphire glass.. It's not a tough as you think, David.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sapphire glass

That will be sapphire glass, a type of glass that already has its use in the military for transparent armor, and that might soon arrive to smartphones.

A type aluminum oxide, sapphire is transparent and nearly three times tougher and more scratch resistant than current glass. It is actually so tough it’s comparable to diamonds. However unlike diamonds, it is much cheaper. This ruggedness and relatively affordable price make it a good candidate for the future superphones. The only hurdle? It is not yet affordable enough.

While Gorilla Glass could cost around $3 apiece, the same sized slab of sapphire might run phone makers up to $30.

There is a lot of savings to come though as competition in the space heats up and mass production would also significantly lower its costs.

Corning's conclusion: that sapphire, the world's second-hardest material after diamond, just can't take the lumps that a large smartphone screen has to bear. Sapphire is fine for protecting watch faces and camera lenses, Corning says, but isn't as optimal for phones.

I have exactly the same on my 6 I like the case but the screen protector is doing my head in tempted to take it off already

You can clearly feel it when you swipe left and right. No mention of the size on eBay or website. They have sold 1000's on eBay. Their feedback rating will take a hit.

320d M Sport
All this 4g sim thing has confused me. My old 5 was 3G only. I've put that into my 6 and 4g works perfectly...

62be8f45b40d924548d6a708d4c553fb.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
you had a 4g sim in a 5, as the 5 only supported 4g on certain networks you didn't get 4g, now you have the right phone you do.

simples.

Loving my grey 4.7". Feels like alien tech.

The size increase is welcome, but a strain on the pocket. I have no idea how anyone could comfortably handle the 5.5"

Oh by the way, the six NEEDS to be in grey. The reason being that the curved screen will lose its impact if it isn't all black.

Loving my 6 after a day of usage, not liking the ios8 without camera roll though. Slowly getting used to the size and general usage. Keyboard is annoying me but I think it's more of it learning my words again as I've started on a fresh install rather than the backup I've been using for the last 6 years !

Not a dig but did you really spend circa £3k to make £150 profit?

I have 3K sitting in the bank. I work on computers. I work in a city centre.

I sit at the computer that im already sitting at i go the apple website and use the money thats already there. The iphones get delivered to my work address. I take the iphone from work to CEX which is 30 seconds walk from work. CEX pay the money direct into my account.

£150 for 1 minute of work? So yes I did spend 3K for £150 profit :)

It's about time they overhauled the 'camera roll' system. It was always poorly named, since it contained all images saved on the device from web pages, whatsapp and the like, not just pictures actually taken with the camera. The new setup is fine. Only retards won't understand it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh by the way, the six NEEDS to be in grey. The reason being that the curved screen will lose its impact if it isn't all black.

Have either of you two come from a 5? I did, so I'd never seen a space grey device before.

When it turned up I couldn't believe how silver it was. IMO it's the best of both worlds. I actually started wanting white because my nearly black 5 marked so easy, where as my work white 5s was white and didnt really mark. Space grey is so light in colour, I'm properly impressed.