ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iphone - anyone getting one?

106 GTi
Worth a read on some threads on it on this forum - don't think it will work over here ?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The most expensive paperweight in the world?

No thanks.

(its useless here)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
out of date before its even released. Well done apple!

Last edited:
  05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I have heard it will work, but you need it get it unlocked in the UK. Also atm it doesn't support 3g, so the data speeds will be to slow.

When it does come over here expect it on 1 network only (Like in America).

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It wont work, its not a case of getting it unlocked.

It requires apple servers to be installed in the host network, the ipod bit would work.

Voicemail, SMS, Phone calls and non wifi internet wont work.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I would rather have a phone that is a least a little unique, rather than a phone that everyone is going to have.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
the iphone is all looks.

no wi fi and not even 3g!!! it runs on gprs if im right, so it does not even have up to date features.

second rate phone!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Apple aren't stupid. How many times do you think they've sold the same people newer version iPods over and over again?

I had a phone with WiFi and never used it. Can count (in decimal) on one hand the number of MMS messages I've sent in the past 5 years.

Not everybody wants WiFi or "web surfing" on their phone. Been there, got the t-shirt, and it was utterly crap.

The interface looks far slicker than anything I've seen from any other phone vendor. How easy it (i.e touchscreen) is to live with is another matter and in a month we'll all know the answer.

You also have to bear in mind this thing has been in development for a long time (2+ years) and that the american telephone market is different to ours.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Apple aren't stupid. How many times do you think they've sold the same people newer version iPods over and over again?

I had a phone with WiFi and never used it. Can count (in decimal) on one hand the number of MMS messages I've sent in the past 5 years.

Not everybody wants WiFi or "web surfing" on their phone. Been there, got the t-shirt, and it was utterly crap.

The interface looks far slicker than anything I've seen from any other phone vendor. How easy it (i.e touchscreen) is to live with is another matter and in a month we'll all know the answer.

You also have to bear in mind this thing has been in development for a long time (2+ years) and that the american telephone market is different to ours.

Thats exactly why europeans should ignore the USA iphone.
It wont come here in that setup, nobody would touch it.

We need mms and faster data speeds

Not a Clio
Yep agree with snoop, I've used WiFi once on my phone to find an address via Yell, which I have to admit is pretty cool but in all the years I've had internet access on my phone, that's the only time I've used it.

I can only remember ever sending 1 MMS as well.

I just want a phone that's reliable, the right size (not too small or too large) and looks nice. All it needs to do is make and receive calls, send and receive text messages and have a phone book.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
I never use any of this fancy s**t i send txts and ring people a 3210 would still be more than adaquate for me lol.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well i use wi fi all the time and send lots of mms each month.

so the american phone market is behind the UK market then?? the phone is meant for web and downloading right? a music phone? without wi-fi or gprs you wont be downloading poo in a hurry LOL

and touch screen? how easy is that on a small phone do you need small fingers???

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
so the american phone market is behind the UK market then??

yes.

the phone is meant for web and downloading right?

No. It's meant to be a slick phone and an iPod combined.

a music phone? without wi-fi or gprs you wont be downloading poo in a hurry LOL

Given that you can't actually download music over the air on the iPhone it isn't actually a problem.

and touch screen? how easy is that on a small phone do you need small fingers???

Like I said above, give it a month and we'll know a lot more about usability. Initial reports seem to hint that it's very usable.

You have to remember this thing has an accelerometer in it, so it's able to detect orientation, so when you flip it on to its side (landscape) you get bigger buttons.

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i see ok, time will tell.

think ill stick to y n95, not had a single proble with it.

amazing phone

Sunshine Bus ph-quick
You can download using an iphone they said on the radio/tv today, apparantly they're a PITA to text etc on..

Monaro VXR
Think im going to continue to use my XDA. It has all the features of the Iphone and more. Better yet it was free on O2.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
so the iphone is all looks and thats it???

It's a slick phone & with built in iPod.

I'm not exactly sure what people expect it to do extra?? :S

I only ever make/receive phone calls, sms and use the calendar/alarm functions on my phone - in that respect I'm their prime market.

As we keep saying, the USA market is very different to the UK market and what works/sells there isn't going to sell here. MMS is virtually non-existant over there due to network costs. WiFi on the otherhand can be obtained very cheaply or free in metropolitan areas, so surfing over WiFi is preferable to surfing over GSM - this is obviously different to the UK/european market.

What Apple have now is a base platform which they can now build new products on, most likely tailored to their respective markets.

I'm sure Apple are more than delighted at shifting 500,000 phones.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok, but as an example the n91 (not Nokias best phone) has 8gb hard drive. wi-fi camera and loads more.

the n91 is what 2 years old now and seems to do everything the iphone does and more. It also does not use the crappy itune software.

so like the iphone its an ipod right?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
ok, but as an example the n91 (not Nokias best phone) has 8gb hard drive. wi-fi camera and loads more.

Tiny screen. Crap symbian OS, with standard symbian interface. Can you say slow? Have you seen how fast the user interface is on the iPhone?

the n91 is what 2 years old now and seems to do everything the iphone does and more. It also does not use the crappy itune software.

It's just over a year old (in terms of actually being available for sale).

so like the iphone its an ipod right?

And this is where you're missing the point! The n91 is not an iPod, it plays mp3s. iPod is the market leader for portable mp3 players.

Put an iPod in a phone and it's an "iPod phone", put iPod functionality in any other phone and it's simply a phone that plays music.

Love it or loathe it, iPod is the market leader and their branding/market position means an awful here, hence why they'll shift bucketloads of them.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The iPod interface in the iPhone is excellent, I had a play with one of them last Sunday and was very impressed. The only negative thing I could find was the oncreen keyboard for sms, it's too small.

Citroen DS3 DSport
o2 have confirmed that their stores will not sell the iPhone until 6pm on the 9th November and will open until 10pm. The stores close at 2pm that day to prepare for the launch.