ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone Wi-fi problem (no internet access)

I'm sure this may have been covered before, but a search didn't reveal anything obvious.

Firstly, my iPhone is the original model. It's currently running software 1.1.4, it's jailbroken, and it's unlocked. I've never had any internet issues with it before, until now.

I was at a firends house on Friday night, and needed to check my gmail to confirm a track booking. Easiest way - connect to his wi-fi...nope. I could connect to the network but no access net-side. He insisted he had no MAC filltering. Anyway, I used 'edge' to pickup my mails and thought nothing more of it.

Now I'm having the same problem at my place. I've reset my iPhone, reset my router. It will connect to the network, but can't get onto the web. So, no email, no Safari or youtube etc.

In the settings/info screen for my network, the ip address, subnet mask etc. are all empty. Sometimes - the first two have numbers but, even then, I still can't get on the web.

Is it broken?

clio 172 cup
i have a problem with wifi aswell when i connect to it its still charging me for useing the iphones internet

i have a problem with wifi aswell when i connect to it its still charging me for useing the iphones internet

If it's an unlocked first-gen iPhone on a non-02 tarrif, then you probably need something like boss prefs to disable 'edge'.

Mine did exactly the same.

Call Apple support. Depending on how long you've had it and have a receipt, they'll replace it FOC.

She went through all the resets etc. I restored with iTunes. Then restored and didn't replace the back up etc etc.

I just restored it in the end, made no mention of it being jailbroken from Day1 and they never said anything.

I had a refurb delivered within a week but this was within a year of having it.

Ah ok cheers. No chance of that. It's way older than a year, and was bought in Thailand. I might try an upgrade/restore but TBH I'll probably just use this an excuse to get a 3G on a proper 02 cnutract.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Have you tried this?

Yet another Update: After some more digging for wifi and DNS, I found that it seems that I was right in my suspicion and, for some reason, the DNSs that the iphone was trying to use were giving it incorrect information and, per this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6186571&#6186571, I tried changing the DNS in my wifi settings to 208.67.222.222 (apparently an open DNS.) After the change, everything started working like a charm.

This is very strange to me, considering that every other computer worked fine even after flushing DNS and that the iPhone was set to use DHCP and was receiving the correct DNS addresses like the rest of my computers.

Yeah I've tried turning it on and off lol :D

Thanks for the continued help, guys. Right now I'm too f**ked to be bothered with the iPhone. I may try some of these solutions tomorrow. Upgrading to 2.2.1 is an option once I'm confident of unlocking it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Want me to send you a custom IPSW?

220mb, but i can bang it on a cd and post it out.

Awesome thought. I could probably get my own though to save you the bother? :eek:

What about boot loaders/base band etc? Last time I was in the 'scene' using ziphone and shizzle with 1.1.4 it was very easy to brick your s**t up. I just use the custom ipsw in itunes and it's jailbroken and unlocked, regardless of my current system? If so, then yes, bang that bad boy on a CD and post it out. I'll owe you a chewie ;)

Unlocking is a piece of piss.

But going to 2.2.1 is what broke mine. lol..

Well, yeah I realise these things are a piece of piss once someone else has learnt the code inside out. 'I've' unlocked and jailbroken 3 versions of firmware so far...but not above 1.1.4 :eek:

I started out on 1.0.2 - that's f**king hardcore you know the score :evil:

Well. I'm now running 2.2.1 fully jailbroken and unlocked. The wi-fi is still broken.

I guess it must be a hardware thing. Tried that DNS thing above but that had no affect.

Cnut :(

PMSL this is epic. Now I'm having to spend a fortune on edge, to try and get boss prefs so I can disable edge, which I need to do because I don't have wif-fi. This motherf*cker might be going in the bin TBPFH.

Woops. Too late. I'm loading 2.2.1 on again, but I fully expect the problem to persist so I'll try that hex thing.

If there wasn't a new iPhone due soon, I'd just bin this one and get a new one.

DFU - 2.2.1 - QuickPwn.

It was jailbroken and unlocked but the wi-fi problem persisted. Right now I'm installing it all over again.

I did that. About 5 times.

Try not using the backup from iTunes.

Tom told me it was possibly ZiPhone that burnt out the wifi chip when I did it to mine..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Almost certainly Ziphone, thankfully mine was PWND the correct way.

The wi-fi is connected. It even has an ip and subnet. Just nothing else. It has to be software?? Yet how can it be? New bootloader, new firmware.

C.U.N.T :mad:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Does the mac address match the one on the box?

Is the router picking it up and have you tried to SSH?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
One thing you could try.

Do a restore DONT pwn it and see if it works.
It should still activate DONT recover a backup. (the backup could contain some ziphone s**t and you dont want that.)

Does the mac address match the one on the box?

Is the router picking it up and have you tried to SSH?

The 'wi-fi' address is the MAC address I presume? There is no MAC address on the box.

I don't have a clue about SSH I'm afarid.

One thing you could try.

Do a restore DONT pwn it and see if it works.
It should still activate DONT recover a backup. (the backup could contain some ziphone s**t and you dont want that.)

I restored to 2.2.1 and have not since even connected to iTunes. Also, I have to pwn it to activate it to do anything at all?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm looking forward to the thread with the smashed iPhone, TBH. It's looking more and more likely.

Roy try this

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...0081120.Pt5yH/iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw

Restore the phone to this using DFU mode.

Then PWN it

(Dont sync or restore)

Then hit Upgrade in itunes.
The phone should then restore to 2.2.1 without the need for activation.

Actually before all of that, try wifi with the sim removed. (reboot after sim removal)

On it now. Do I need any special bootloaders? Quickpwn asked me for 3.9 and 4.6 so I downloaded them. I presume they are generic?

I got these bootloaders http://www.iphone-hacks.com/downloads/file/109

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Bootloaders are generic

Ive noticed a few people downgrading to 2.2.0 to restore wifi so keep checking it along the way.

Nah. The wi-fi is proper f*cked. How gay is that?

Oh well, thanks for everyones help. Not sure what to do now. I'll probably smash it up.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hmm. This is very annoying.

Tbh, i'd give apple a call on the off chance. Revels did.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The link I posted was FAH then?

1. I restored to 2.2.1(5H11) [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]firmware[/color][/color] and use Quickpwn to unlock it.
2. wifi still not connecting correctly? I reset the "network settings" on iphone, if not work, I set my wireless router to no encryption, then reset iphone "network seetings" again and again until it sticks to wifi connection. First it didn't stick 100%, it was like on and off periodically.
3. Goto "Cydia" downloaded tool call "BossPrefs"
4. Goto app "BossPrefs" turn off the "edge" and keep the wifi. At current stage the wifi still drop connection periodically.
5. Restart [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]wireless[/color][/color] router(no encryption still) and reset my iphone "network settings". Go to "BossPrefs" to turn off edge again and keep the wifi because "BossPrefs" reset itself. Now I saw the connection persists.
6. Restart my wifi wireless [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]router[/color][/color] and set it to wpa or wpa2 encryption.
7. Reset my iphone "network settings" again(it's a pain but it helps) and type in the password for wifi and a miracle happened, wifi sticks, no more dropped connections, I can even use youtube on my iphone again and leave my itouch collecting dust.
8. I then go to iphone "Cydia" and downloaded half of the ring tone on my iphone and tried it out...awesome!
user_offline.gif

Could work?

None of these tricks or ideas work. It's connected to my router. It even has the wifi icon in the top left, next to the carrier. In the network properties, only the ip and subnet mask fields have any data in them. Then, as soon as I try to use the internet, the wireless icon disappears, and edge takes over.