ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iron X paste?

220 Trophy
Has anyone used the paste? I've used the spray and it works really well but there are the odd few places in corners that without literally scratching the pad dust off with my fingernail I cant get it off. Am hoping the paste would do the trick?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have the paste, I've only ever had to use it a few times but its great for concentrated areas.

220 Trophy
Thanks, I guessed that's what it would be used for. I keep finding little spots of baked-on brake dust despite having given them a really good clean with the spray.

I even bought a detailing brush but the spray just doesn't dissolve the baked-on (after a track-day in the wet) dust, will give the paste a go then.

Sure it's brake dust and not tar? Worth going through the process of decontaminating the wheels fully (detar, deiron, clay, polish, IPA wipe down), then protecting them with something like C5. Makes them much easier to clean, especially after track days, even with performance brake pads.

220 Trophy
No unfortunately its definitely dust. I have Alcon 4-pots with PF07 pads, stops like hitting a brick-wall but unfortunately creates loads of dust and if its raining it bakes on like concrete - literally!!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
my little use of it, it appears to be a little more concentrated but that might be down to the longer dwell time as it won't run off like the sprays. I typically used it for the corners of wheel spokes and as it starts to work give it a general spray over with IX spray

220 Trophy
my little use of it, it appears to be a little more concentrated but that might be down to the longer dwell time as it won't run off like the sprays. I typically used it for the corners of wheel spokes and as it starts to work give it a general spray over with IX spray
Thanks, yes this is what I thought. Just squeeze some into the hard to reach corners (F1's) and leave for a while. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating with my brake dust but its mega hard and doesn't come off with a brush and normal iron-x, I had to end up scratching it off with a finger-nail which hasn't done the paint much good. Have had a another set of F1's recently powder-coated orange and I don't want to ruin them as well so will try some of the paste.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Miss my Alcons although dust wise they really were a pisstake!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Thanks, yes this is what I thought. Just squeeze some into the hard to reach corners (F1's) and leave for a while. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating with my brake dust but its mega hard and doesn't come off with a brush and normal iron-x, I had to end up scratching it off with a finger-nail which hasn't done the paint much good. Have had a another set of F1's recently powder-coated orange and I don't want to ruin them as well so will try some of the paste.

prep them properly and get them sealed as JD said. only option really to resist build up

220 Trophy
Its not the Alcons, its the pads!!

The dust is'nt build up, its just from one outing. If its raining the dust and moisture bake onto the wheels when I park up with the heat from the brakes. Will give the fresh wheels a seal before hand this time and see if it makes any difference.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Id love to know a way of preventing it from sticking to, I have 20 basically new 2118's which are covered in brake dust that just wont come off!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Id love to know a way of preventing it from sticking to, I have 20 basically new 2118's which are covered in brake dust that just wont come off!

Sure it's brake dust and not tar? Worth going through the process of decontaminating the wheels fully (detar, deiron, clay, polish, IPA wipe down), then protecting them with something like C5. Makes them much easier to clean, especially after track days, even with performance brake pads.