ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IronX liquid spray, gel or paste

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Putting in an order soon and after some more IronX. Only ever used the standard liquid spray but the gel sounds handy for panels but not sure on the paste.

Anyone used any of these other than the standard spray? i4d do the complete range

Golf GT & A4 Avant
but I've read decon gel is sprayed on, therefore can't be much of a gel? where as I'm sure I've sen ironX gel applied to a sponge and wiped on.

What's your opinion to the decon gel?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Stick to the iron x mate. It's the best out there. I love the wolfs stuff especially price wise but stick to the spray.

You get cheaper refill packs aswell.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have enough IX spray left to do my last 2 wheels then C5, all other wheels are sealed. but my spray head leaks hence the question.

Have no reason to change as it always works superbly but thought I'd ask the more knowledgable out there

Sorry for the silly question, but say you'd waxed your car, then the next wash used iron-x, will it remove all the wax/polish etc you previously did?

Dave have you got a link to the Iron X you all use?

Not a 320d
Wolfs takes the piss, it works but only after about 30 f**king minutes. Iron X is a miles better product. The Decon gel is more like a gel than Iron X. But id sooner have Iron X. I hear The gel paste is ment to cling better and therefore work better, still I stick to the Iron X eco bags though.

Is it the similar process with that, not to be used every wash?
Trouble is sometimes if I don't get a chance to wash again for a while, after polishing/sealing/waxing, I get a lot of dirt/tar at the bottom of the doors, but unsure if I use de tar this'll strip all my wax etc?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if it's properly sealed and the wax / sealant is still there and working ie not left for months and worn out, it should wash off quite easily. all dependant on what wax or sealant you are using really? When it won't just wash off with basic shampoo you know your wax has worn off.

What do you use

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Wolfs takes the piss, it works but only after about 30 f**king minutes. Iron X is a miles better product. The Decon gel is more like a gel than Iron X. But id sooner have Iron X. I hear The gel paste is ment to cling better and therefore work better, still I stick to the Iron X eco bags though.

This. I bought the Decon gel to use on the RB, took two rounds to get it to lift a little iron. Straight after I applied some of my mates IronX and the whole panel went purple and the majority of the tar spots were removed.

Was quite disappointed in the decon gel tbh (i am open the the possibility of misuse on my part, but the IronX worked fine in the same conditions)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've not tried CP on specific tar spots yet, just as a general pre wash but will give it a go, thanks. I believe AutoFinesse will be releasing their own version of a tar and glue remover later this year this year. Russ I think has had a sample to try out

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've read mixed reviews on the decon gel, and some not getting the best out of it unless left to dwell for quite some time. That for me puts IX as the one to have, even if it may require additional applications. I've never used decon gel but just my own opinion.

if it's properly sealed and the wax / sealant is still there and working ie not left for months and worn out, it should wash off quite easily. all dependant on what wax or sealant you are using really? When it won't just wash off with basic shampoo you know your wax has worn off.

What do you use

I've only just started out really, so at the moment only by hand, recently Clayed / SRP/ EGP / Megs #16 wax, about a month ago.
Been washed a few times since, and do top up the wax every few washes

It does come off with shampoo, Its just if it doesn't come off when blasted with the hose, I'm always worried about using the mitt, coz I'm worried about getting the mitt dirty and scrubbing dirt around, on the lower sides, coz they're really dirty. I do leave them till last though, but still, don't want to ruin the mitt for the next wash.

I guess a pressure washer would be better at getting it off, rather than a finger over the hose lol. Lucky just bought a cheap Nilfisk

Not a 320d
No, doesnt smell very much atall really. I think the new version isnt so bad. theres a hint of those squashed flowers amungst the dead cat carcus aroma.

White clique
Iron-x are now shipping an "improved formula" spray which is much thicker and gel like, it barely runs at all.

Not a 320d
Yer ive had some, its much better. Doesnt seem to be any different consistency wise, but thinking about it now it barely runs as you said. I wouldnt have guessed that was what they improved.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I must have an old formula then as mine runs a bit. Has the orange spray head and 'new and improved' formula with hint of spring flowers or whatever it was supposed to be.

Think I'll stick to the new spray liquid and make my mind up once I've tried it.

Anyone heard of differences in strength between the liquid, gel and paste?

Not a 320d
Not really. i did ask about this once, but i cant find the thread. Im sure someone mentioned the paste was a bit better, or that because it clung to the paint better it was more effective. Not sure. I can vouch for The eco refil bags and 500ml new formula sprayer to be excellent and fast working so atleast if you buy that youll have a decent product. I dont reccomned wolfs to anyone simply because of the long work times, which can be frustrating especially when it gets dark at 4pm. I know these products work better when its warm too.

Come to think of it, when i did my wheels with C5 last week the new formula did seem to stick to the wheels very well after being sprayed on.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Iron X paste and and the regular Iron X are the same strength just the paste does cling, it's not sprayable.

It seems to sell better for alloys than on paint just because on paint contamination is likely to be all over so suits a spray better, whereas alloys the contamination usually is just in the corners and it's easier to get it on without covering the discs and hubs.

Tim

Fiat Coupe 20vt
I must have an old formula then as mine runs a bit. Has the orange spray head and 'new and improved' formula with hint of spring flowers or whatever it was supposed to be.

They upgraded it again since then to be thicker. The one you had was an attempt to remove the smell, although IMHO it didn't work that well!

clio 172 cup
surely if ur car is covered in tiny bitf of iron the last thing u wnt to do is rub the whole thing with gel inorder to find it? or am i being an idiot

White clique
surely if ur car is covered in tiny bitf of iron the last thing u wnt to do is rub the whole thing with gel inorder to find it? or am i being an idiot

the point is that you cant really tell how much iron is on there until you spray it on, you'd be surprised, especially on the boot and back bumper. I imagine the iron-x is a safer bet than leaving contaminents on your car or polishing them into the paintwork. You only leave the iron-x on for a couple of minutes.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

It's not on the paint it's in it so it's not like it will scratch the paint.

Every car will have iron on it especially if it's never been done before. It's just fact.

On white, Silver, grey, it's a must. You'll be surprised how much it draws out.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the iron particles actually embed themselves into the clear coat, kind of like burn there way through. wiping on the ironX gel is no worse than wiping a wash mit over a dirty car, although the iron particles will not just wipe off, instead they begin to dissolve by a chemical reaction as far as I'm aware

clio 172 cup
the iron particles actually embed themselves into the clear coat, kind of like burn there way through. wiping on the ironX gel is no worse than wiping a wash mit over a dirty car, although the iron particles will not just wipe off, instead they begin to dissolve by a chemical reaction as far as I'm aware
awesome sum up of it thank you :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
When using the Iron X spray do you spray the whole car or a panel at a time?

I just go round the whole car then leave it for a few minutes to work away.

Won't stain or set unless in the sun/heat or left for ages.