ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is 182 Cup susp. same as 172 Cup susp

BMW X5, Exige 260.

I expect this has been done before so apologies in advance, but I d like a definitive answer. I assume they simply lift the 172Cup sups. bits and put them on the 182?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 18 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by sjd172 on 18 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 18 March 2004

No its a completely diffrent setup
Why is it called the cup suspension then???

*whispers* to cash in on the name
think it is derived from the Clio Cup Race Series cars as the 172 Cup would have been and also borrowed the name from!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

jesus! whats the point in answering questions.

regardless of what it is called its not the same.

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 18 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 18 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by sjd172 on 18 March 2004

Why is it called the cup suspension then???

*whispers* to cash in on the name
think it is derived from the Clio Cup Race Series cars as the 172 Cup would have been and also borrowed the name from!

err exactly. to cash in on the name.

dk

911 GTS Cab

jesus! whats the point in answering questions.

regardless of what it is called its not the same.
u sure tom?;)

*edit*

Sorry for any offence made, none was meant.

Hasnt the 182 got the same wheelbase as the cup race-cars, while the wheelbase on the "old" cup and all 172s is slightly shorter? If this is so then the entire geometry will be completely different as Tom said.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yup the changes to the 182 (without the "cup" suspension) are a development of the cup racer chassis.

the "cup" option increases the damper rates and stiffens the springs.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Not "completely" different, but yes it is different...

Does anyone know if the group N "cup" (or 172 or whatever they call it) has the 182, 172 or cup suspension setup. It probably wont have the race-car setup as they could never get that through homologation.

Also, how much do the group N rally cars go for? The cup race cars are about £17,000 arent they.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Hmmm...

182 Press Release:

"The new Clio Renaultsport 182 also offers the options of a Cup chassis upgrade and a Cup spoiler pack. The Cup chassis option, costing £200, adds Michelin Exalto 2 tyres with stiffer sidewalls, a 3mm lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers and new steering geometry plus Anthracite colour wheels.

The front track is 20mm wider and the rear track is 10mm wider improving the cars’ stance on the road and improving the road holding. With higher spring rates at the front, the Cup suspension is firmer and provides more responsive behaviour. These modifications are complemented by the adoption of tyres of an extra-stiff structure. Steering response is thus more direct, with a more incisive front suspension. Also enhancing driving efficiency are the flexible lower leaf of the front bumper, and the larger rear hatch-mounted spoiler, providing greater downforce and aerodynamic refinement."

Compared to the Cup:

Suspension lowered by 3mm
Higher front spring rates
Firmer ride
Front track 20mm wider
Rear track 10mm wider
Front castor increased by 3
Tyres have stiffer sidewalls
Enlarged rear hatch spoiler
(Renaults own words)

Sounds pretty similar to me...

Ok, so some things have changed, such as the wheelsbase & front hubs, but it aint "massively" different to an original Cup that was my point.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

lol.. I should have just locked this after

"No its a completely diffrent setup"