ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is bored of my 197 F1

PH2 172
After part exchanging my 172 cup for a liquid yellow 197 F1 team model at the end of may. Im starting to get bored of it. I dont think its nowhere as quick as my 172 cup and dosnt seem to be as much fun to drive. I love all the extras you get with the 197 and love the recaros seats and the looks but apart from that im starting to miss the 172 cup. Im now starting to think what do i do keep it or sell it again for maybe another 172 cup suggestions!!.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I know exactly what you mean. I've driven a fair few 197's and they just dont do it for me... :( They just don't feel like the old ones.

Try a 200. You wouldn't believe the difference!

PH2 172
In a way i kinda wish i never brought it just cuz its so new theres not alot you can do to them as like the 172 or 182 theres loads you can do to make them look and go better. Im thinking of selling up and either getting another cup or somethign else.

M2 Competition
Take a step back and think; i have an awesome car! Take it for some drives in the countryside down epic B-roads hunting for limit points, and enjoy :D

To be honest mate...when i moved to my f1 r27 from my 182 I haven't looked back. 172 / 182 seem quicker because they are a lot smaller in comparison to the 197. I loved the 182, thought it was a great wee car and had hours of endless fun / enjoyment with it. But to be honest, i much prefer the r27. I think it looks better, rides better and is equally as quick. i guess it really depends what you want. go out, give you r27 a proper blast round sound wee b-roads and I would challenge anyone that it doesn't bring a smile to your face. enjoy it.

you've got a great car...just don't be scared to thrash it every once in a while.

PH2 172
Mate i thrash it alot just to try get some fun out of it but just dosnt seem to do nothing for me just felt like my cup pulled me back in my seat and i could proper thrah it around corners and round abouts and have an addreline wush but with this i dont get nothing at all i love the looks etc cant go wrong.

M2 Competition
Hmm, you dont sound like the man for an Rs clio tbh.

Buy a turbo/ jap car and have fun on the dual carriageways mate. Better bang for your buck.

Italian 3.2 V6
buy a corsa vxr then.. simples, look as good if not better, same size etc n is easly quicker once simply mapped n has more punch,,, oh n lighter too!

MCS R56
buy a corsa vxr then.. simples, look as good if not better, same size etc n is easly quicker once simply mapped n has more punch,,, oh n lighter too!

Not sure about your opinion on the VXR's looks. They are a bit chav, imo. Halfords job.

Italian 3.2 V6
Not sure about your opinion on the VXR's looks. They are a bit chav, imo. Halfords job.

WRONG! by the wrong person yess..

but done right and they look and sound and go amazingly!

the driver makes the car

M2 Competition
Its nothin special just felt like so much more fun to drive than the 197

Depends on your version of fun though.

My version of fun is seeing how fast, safely and smoothly you can take corners on a 10 mile stretch of flowing B-road. And then turning the car around and doing it back the other way.

Your version of fun is being pushed back in the seat and thrashing it around roundabouts... going fast.

Everyone is different, neither is wrong, but it sounds like something with a turbo/ something jap/ something like a vxr that you can remap is the car for you mate :)

Dan

PH2 172
Haha i do like doing what you do going around nice b-roads etc and having some fun with my mates but also i liek to feel the power and have that nice soudn from the exhaust. but u r right a turbo or jap car would be mint but being 21 there snot laot i could insure i like my teggys and ek9s and scoobys etc

M2 Competition
A Dc2 integra type-r is insurable for you.

As is a Dc5 i think, i got similar quotes on a dc2 to a 172 cup.

MCS R56
WRONG! by the wrong person yess..

but done right and they look and sound and go amazingly!

the driver makes the car

I know what you mean but nobody makes that car non-chav! You get a free Burberry cap with it.

The 197 handles better too.

172 clio ph1
Haha i do like doing what you do going around nice b-roads etc and having some fun with my mates but also i liek to feel the power and have that nice soudn from the exhaust. but u r right a turbo or jap car would be mint but being 21 there snot laot i could insure i like my teggys and ek9s and scoobys etc

Having come from a scooby Type R, I can tell you I find my 172 more fun than the Scooby. Okay, no it doesn't pin me to my seat and make my passengers tummys turn over on full boost, but around some twisties I smile more. Oh and its more fun to get the better of someone in as no one seems to expect it.

Add to that the running costs, clio gets my vote everytime. Not driven the r27 although considering one as my next car.

RS Megane 225F1
I had this when I got my R27, kept it 12 months and still didn't like it no where near as much as my Cup, the Cup is completely different, much more fun IMO...

However, I did go for a 225 F1 Edition and once remapped you'll forget alllll about the Cup !!! ;)

Cheers
Lee

Turbo LY R27
Might as well get the car your really enjoy, sell asap get the most money for your car. When i bought my R27 i missed my 182 badly for a bit, then i had a go in a mates again.......then realised that the R27 was the better and more fun choice for me, since then ive never wanted to get rid of the ol boy! I love em tbh. :D

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Felt a bit like you a couple of months back. The 197 feels waaay different to my Cup. The Cup was fun 0-40mph, the 197 40mph+ is just sheer awesome. It feels rock solid. After sitting back in a 172, I'd never go back.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
whos was this with i quiet fancy a dc-5 i must admit

Go on, you won't regret it! :cool:

Seriously though if yuo can afford to insure one do it. Have you been on ITR-dc5.com/forum ? Alot of info on there for you includidng a list of insurers and some good examples for sale usually

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't get this ''not as fun'' issue. if you prefer the cup just og buy another one.

Black 197
The 197 is an awesome car fact !

Im so glad i traded my 182 in and i havent looked back, The 197 may not feel as quick but be assured it is, My 197 is well run in and the more miles you get under it the better they go... Im not into racing and all that crap but my mate has an 03 WRX STI and my 197 isnt far off the pace, I know he'll lash me on a long straight but around town he gets a nasty shock when im on him...

Got taken out in a 197 today and I was very impressed with it, I know it'd probably be different again if I was to drive one but it seemed so much more stable than my Cup. It's definitely better through long fast sweeping bends and felt extremely "grippy" through roundabouts. It seems alot more grown up and sophisticated than my Cup.

Perhaps it feels slower than your Cup due to it being a bigger car? Or maybe the theory of the Cup being the best RS is correct ;):rasp: lol

Edit: Also haven't you had a few niggles with it? Sometimes that can put you off a car but if you get a good run without any problems it may change your mind about the car again.