ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it bad to hold high RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've got a small Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique, 54 plate. Was just wondering, is it bad for the engine to hold high RPM like 5000rpm (do you even class that high?) for long periods of times. I like to thrash my car, but was wondering if it'll cause any long term damage or any problems that'll arise from thrashing my car. It doesn't seem to mind being thrash, infact it's fairly nippy after 3500rpm. I only do this after the engines warmed up properly when driving, not stationary. Just got it in my head it'll blow up on me! The car will be being serviced yearly (or until I can afford a 172/182!) - thanks!

Jap Box
To be honest I did that for a good year on my first 1.2 8v and the engine was fine (160k miles too) I did end up going through a clutch though!

172 PH1
Yes! Terminal engine damage is imminent! Stop driving like a tool immediately

Heed to this advice. Otherwise a rod will exit the block from the rear, throught the manifold, through the bulkhead and embed itself in your ballsack.

In short, don't drive like a tool, it's nice to have a blast once in a while.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Again, I vote for an IQ test on EVERY new member to prevent this from happening again.

1.2 16v
I've heard racing drivers get a large amount of risk pay because of the chances of death caused by high revs.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Can't recall ever saying I drove like an idiot, I don't. I thrash it on country lanes and when roads are quiet. Don't hold it at high revs, just make use of all gears. Thanks for the sensible answers!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can't recall ever saying I drove like an idiot, I don't. I thrash it on country lanes

That's the same thing. I'll remind you of that when there's a family coming the other way and you disappear into a field upside down.

Don't hold it at high revs, just make use of all gears.

That's funny, because look at the thread title. You wrote it!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
That's the same thing. I'll remind you of that when there's a family coming the other way and you disappear into a field upside down.

That's funny, because look at the thread title. You wrote it!

Whats a family gotta do with me on the other side of the road thrashing it? We aren't all idiots, we don't all dangerously overtake. Maybe I should rename the topic then!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've got a small Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique, 54 plate. Was just wondering, is it bad for the engine to hold high RPM like 5000rpm (do you even class that high?) for long periods of times. I like to thrash my car, but was wondering if it'll cause any long term damage or any problems that'll arise from thrashing my car. It doesn't seem to mind being thrash, infact it's fairly nippy after 3500rpm. I only do this after the engines warmed up properly when driving, not stationary. Just got it in my head it'll blow up on me! The car will be being serviced yearly (or until I can afford a 172/182!) - thanks!

Don't hold it at high revs, just make use of all gears. Thanks for the sensible answers!

We have this thing here at CS which is called 'Never forgetting', fortunatley you are now a part of this.

Welcome!

R56 JCW
Just looking out for fellow motorists. We all like to enjoy our cars, and we all know how to enjoy them. Stay safe is what were saying! :eek:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Open your window you should be able to hear the distant whine of a 1.2 not being thrashed but held at 5000rpm.

If you listen really close you can hear the faint sound of some panties falling down a 15 year olds legs right afterwards...

2016 Qashqai 2011 A3
your a tail, not been funny country roads are the most dangerous of roads I have been driving 2 years and just wrote off £4500 worth of corolla because country roads are leathal, I know you asking a simple question but just because you do 5k in 2nd wont get the girls at the bus stop from year 10s pants down quicker. #ripspeed

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
wont do it any harm as long as its warmed up. in a 1.2 you can be "thrashing it" down the country road, you will probably still be going slower than the family coming the other way that everyone is talking about in their diesel insignia.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
wont do it any harm as long as its warmed up. in a 1.2 you can be "thrashing it" down the country road, you will probably still be going slower than the family coming the other way that everyone is talking about in their diesel insignia.

Seconded. He'll probably be paying more attention than them as well.

Welcome to the CS playground.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I used to hold my Mk1 above 4500rpm when going up that really steep hill just after Exeter leading onto the A38. That was more a requirement else it wouldn't go up the hill faster than 30mph... Its done over 150Kmiles now and its still running. Cant see why you would want to hold it at 5000revs for normal driving though? Even if your 'thrashing it', you would only be at high revs for a shot time until you reach gear 4/5. You do change gear don't you? If not, maybe that's your problem :)

Roads closed pizza boy, find another way home!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it bad to hold high RPM?

Can't recall ever saying I drove like an idiot, I don't. I thrash it on country lanes and when roads are quiet. Don't hold it at high revs, just make use of all gears. Thanks for the sensible answers!

Brilliant.

Thanks for stopping by...

your a tail, not been funny country roads are the most dangerous of roads I have been driving 2 years and just wrote off £4500 worth of corolla because country roads are leathal, I know you asking a simple question but just because you do 5k in 2nd wont get the girls at the bus stop from year 10s pants down quicker. #ripspeed

Also amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.