ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it the fuel pump?

Clio 1.6 Dynamique
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my clio in the wet. For some reason every time I start the car it fires up then cuts out straight away. Then I start it up again rev it a bit and it's fine.

I have to sit there for 5 as I can hear and see the engine struggle to stay on.

Also as I'm driving it wants to cut out as I accelerate. I put my foot down and the engine will chugg. And I have to pull over so the engine can cut out.

I recently posted about this problem and a few said fix the sunroof. So I did. The problem stopped. But I think it was a coincidence as the fault is back.

maybe it's the fuel pump... but are these signs that the pump is faulty?

twingo
jammed throttle butterfly and idle control valve. when you accelerate, the throttle butterfly opens and the IAC valve closes so it appears the IAC is closing but the throttle butterfly is not opening meaning no air is getting in or very little air and will make it feel as if it's about to stall / cut out. but you are right, it could also be a fueling fault or a problem with the ignition coil creating too weak a spark. multimeter will be your best friend here

Clio 1.6 Dynamique
Okay that's alot of help mate thanks!!!
Do u know how much this would cost to sort? Roughly?

And isit a job for a garage or will I be able to sort it with a youtube vid? Haha

twingo
you'll be fine with youtube videos, i'm not familiar with the f4r engine only having worked on them about 10x in my lifetime, but an engines an engine in that sense. it's just a case of following the air intake feed into the engine and at the end of it this is where the throttle butterfly will sit and the idle air control valve will be close to it. as for the fuel pump, the best thing to do will be to check the resistance of it to see if it's getting the correct electrical signal. there should be youtube videos available on how to do this, there should be values on here somewhere with what the readings should be on the fuel pump (or contact the manufacturer to find out the technical data for your fuel pump) either way i can confirm that either air or fuel is not getting in correctly, henching my bets on the throttle / IAC. any fault codes or anything appeared mate?

twingo
if you can't fix the problem then at least you've gave it a bash, and no harm will be done. it wouldn't cost much at a garage to be resolved, and if you wanted to you could just pay for a diagnosis at a garage and then bring it home to do the work yourself :)

Clio 1.6 Dynamique
you'll be fine with youtube videos, i'm not familiar with the f4r engine only having worked on them about 10x in my lifetime, but an engines an engine in that sense. it's just a case of following the air intake feed into the engine and at the end of it this is where the throttle butterfly will sit and the idle air control valve will be close to it. as for the fuel pump, the best thing to do will be to check the resistance of it to see if it's getting the correct electrical signal. there should be youtube videos available on how to do this, there should be values on here somewhere with what the readings should be on the fuel pump (or contact the manufacturer to find out the technical data for your fuel pump) either way i can confirm that either air or fuel is not getting in correctly, henching my bets on the throttle / IAC. any fault codes or anything appeared mate?

if you can't fix the problem then at least you've gave it a bash, and no harm will be done. it wouldn't cost much at a garage to be resolved, and if you wanted to you could just pay for a diagnosis at a garage and then bring it home to do the work yourself :)

Cheers mate. Think I'll get a garage to diagnose the problem then have a look at doing it myself. Wish me luck haha