ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth keeping my old 16v for track or sell it?

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
We've now got a dci for the missus, so my 16v is just sitting not getting used. The insurance and tax will expire soon, and I don't know what to do, choices are:

Declare it off-road and strip it to use for track days (problem here is I need to somehow get it to tracks)
or
Sell it, but I doubt it's worth much
or
Strip it and sell the parts, but thats hassle and the car is too good to do that!

Help me decide! :S

If I keep it I think it'll need new brakes, but the roll cage and coilovers are worth a bit on their own. The thing is, the car drives well, so I don't want to strip it and sell the parts.

Would it knacker it leaving it parked up all year and only going out in it for maybe 2 or 3 track days a year?

silver valver/hybrid
Jas! blimey aint seen you on here for a while!
track the valver, you know you want to!

If you sell it you'll always regret it.
If you sell in parts then you'll find there a pain to sell.
If you keep it it for track days etc you'll find its not very eliabl even worse if you trailer it you'll only find problems when its at a track day.

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A
If you sell it you'll always regret it.
If you sell in parts then you'll find there a pain to sell.
If you keep it it for track days etc you'll find its not very eliabl even worse if you trailer it you'll only find problems when its at a track day.

nice and conclusive their edde ;)

J - it doesn't spin like a Mk1 Silver 172 ;) plus it's too slow as well !!!

(and don't flame me for that comment - it's based on owning one and taking it on track and personally finding it too slow ok !!!)

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
LOL @ some of the replies. K, I still have the video of that spin!
Edde, I agree with you, there's no good solution :(

Depends on your financial situation, the amount of storage/ parking space where you live and whether you think its goin to get any use. Its probably not worth a great deal, may even be worth more to you in sentimental value, and you may regret it if you sell it. If you have a spare garage or car port or space down the side of the house etc just keep it.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S
Edde, the Golf is good, too good to get rid of.

Alex, I have storage, I guess maybe I'll think about it over xmas.

2.0 bottom end, trailer and trackdays aplenty... doo eeeeet!

dont see why it would prove unreliable as a track toy edde, plenty of people on here have trackday only spare cars that are reliable as hell

2.0 bottom end, trailer and trackdays aplenty... doo eeeeet!

dont see why it would prove unreliable as a track toy edde, plenty of people on here have trackday only spare cars that are reliable as hell

I'd just think leaving it there unused then take it out for track days is abad idea my Williams always seemed to have little niggly things when it was left any time.