ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my 172 gonna break

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive just looked under my bonnet and noticed that my induction kit air filter had fallen of and was laying in the bottom half of the standard air box!!!

I dont know how long its been off for as the engine note didnt seem to change too much once it was back on. It could have been off for up to a month or so, anyone know the implications of this??? Is this gonna knacker my motor????

133/225/CLS AMG

Ok but what kinda bad is it gonna have done?

Is there anything I can do or get looked at. Its only done 9500 miles so I dont want to cause any problems.

Just change the oil straigt away and get the engine flushed if you are really worried. Any dust or other particulates would have accumalated in the oil. Get it changed and you will cut down any further wear. I wouldnt worry to much about it just get the oil changed pronto.

^^^^like he says, kwik fit do an oil change for £40 or diy, i think it will be ok, like i say its been damp etc so dust will have been at a minimum

None

Mines done it before and its been ok since ive put it back on - was off for about 2 weeks to a month

Clio 197

My ol 1.2 has done at least 10% of its miles with the air hose disconnected (it keeps falling off)...

Still going @180,000 miles. That said, its hardly a performance car, so that might be why?

For the most part performance filters dont filter anywhere near as good as the std paper type anyway so its unlikely its doing anymore damage, if you are worried put the std one back on.

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive only done a max of about 350 miles with the air filter off and I only had a an oil change just before this would of happened.

There is a good chance that the filter only fell off in the last couple of days as the car was sat on my drive since Xmas Eve.

133/225/CLS AMG

Im gonna be selling her in a couple of years and as I only do about 8500 miles a year I thinking its not gonna cause a problem!! ;)

wtf, driving with the air filter off isnt going to contaminate the oil!

At worst some debry will have got chucked up, swallowed by the engine and bent a valve. As your engines running ok then I doubt very much that thats the case.

Just bung it back on and make sure its not going to come off again

yea it will! if dust etc is allowed into the engine then it will collect in the oil. If you change the oil then youll get rid of it.

so yes it will contaminate the oil...:D

133/225/CLS AMG

Looks like this is gonna cause some kind of debate here!! But I am interested.

Im not doubting anyone here coz I simply dont know but any explanations are good, how would it contaminate the oil!!

I would of though that the air being drawn in would also expel through the exhaust along with any crap thats being sucked in. Im probably completely wrong though!! lol