ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my head gasket blown?? PLEASE HELP

Renault Clio
i have a 2005 1.2 Clio (mark II) 124k miles

Started noticing a significant loss of engine power, struggle to get the revs up, gear stick shaking violently while stationary at traffic lights now it’s at the point where it can barely even get up a Hill in low gear, hill starts are impossible.

Have tried changing spark plugs and coil leads - no joy.

There is a significant amount of “mayo” under the oil cap and need an oil and coolant top up. Also there is an oil leak somewhere on the engine. Can these symptoms be solved with a engine service or is my head gasket gone ?? Can anyone help??

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It does sound like it could well be the HG if you've got mayo under the oil cap and you're losing oil and coolant. However, you could just as easily have mayo under there if you're only doing short journeys (with the car running like crap) and be losing the oil and coolant through leaks. Injectors can cause the misfire symptoms you're getting, coil pack could be bad, why did you replace the plugs and leads? Were they knackered?

In all honesty this is something that is going to be nigh-on impossible to be diagnosed on a forum, it's going to be largely guesswork. You need to get it looked at. No point in throwing money at a service, or replacing any other parts, until you know what's wrong.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Could be numerous things, as above.

Blocked cat for instance could possibly cause that.

Is it going through coolant quicker than fuel - if so, HG could be the cause. Mayo under the cap is a standard thing with those engines IIRC.

Get to a garage and get it checked properly.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You should be able to get a sniffer test done on it to rule out (or confirm) HG failure. It checks the coolant expansion bottle for combustion gases.