ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is remote start worth it

I have a 172 with Concept 500 and I am considering getting remote start, does anybody have it and if so does the novelty wear off after a while.

Cheers

Biggy

I was thinking about it, but because my original factory immobilser cant be disabled, it meant I couldnt.. so my car kinda made its own mind up! hehe.

I can see it being good for zapping in shops.. people would look, at least.

just make sure you dont leave it in gear for any reason!! a bloke i know let his missis have a go in his cossie, she left it in gear and when he went out in the morning and started the engine with the remote...well as you can imagine it was costly!

must say i hate cliffords with a passion, poor quality and get sold on gimmicks, no offence but i would stick with a straight forward alarm with maybe auto window closure but no gimmick stuff like auto lights auto start etc. we have nothing but trouble with cars fitted with cliffords at work

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

I had remote start on an old car of mine. As a gadget its great, really turns heads when a car starts on its own, also nice for those cold mornings you want to warm your car up, but the novely does wear off and you find you barely use it after a while.

silver valver/hybrid

i use mine all the time in the morning to get her warmed up. Due to the leaky sunroof though it can be a little temprimental! with the new alarms its impossible to start it in gear as you have to set the remote engine start before you turn off the engine.

Audi S3

that remote start thingy voids the thatchum catagory so if u have a cat 1 alarm/imob and fit remote start it becomes non thatchum aproved and with high perfomance car insurance companies wont even touch u with a barge pole!

matt

which muppet said they did not need there kleys anymore?

of course you still need to put your keys in, it may start it but u still have to put your keys in and turn

Tom

lol i got remote start. the wintec LEA-825 i think it is.

Its not worth it, i was really looking forwards to getting it but now i just am glad its got the pager, never ever use the remote start, unless there are sum nice looking ladies near it :D

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

My ex had remote start on his calibra.. it rocked, Turned heads all the time, made people jump too. And definantly good for the cold mornings. The novelty never wore off. Tis illegal though.. not supposted to leave a car running unattended ?

mmmm wonder if theres any leagal issues here? Are you not suppose to be in control of your vehicle?. If the engine is running then in theory you are the operator of that vehicle.

I love my remote start and I dont think I will never bore of it,

If you get a nice place to fit it they will give you your certificate for thatcham for your alarm and then invoice you separately for the remote start, if you already have the alarm installed and are just adding the remote start then no worries just dont tell insurance company sure as hell they never going to know.

Personally I think Cliffords are great its just poor installers that give them bad reputations, unfortunately there are far too many bad installers around, go to a good one and you will hear the same thing they are great alarms.

Complicated as hell to install hence why so many bad installers make piss poor jobs of it!

Clifford Concept 300 - £300

Remote start - £200

pm me for where to get this price, most places ask about £700 - £900 for this!! rip off merchants!!

On a freezing cold day when I goto my car and its nice and warm and completely defrosted its not a waste of time at all!! save s an awful lot of time!

and the hearing your stereo idea is good...but means you would have to leave your faceplate on the stereo,

PM me if you want anymore details, apologies to anyone with opinions differing from mine but that is what this forum is about opinions, unfortunately many people have opinions based on precisely ...NOTHING!!!!

Happy driving

oh and Daz: What car you driving, when they fitted mine to 2002 clio, they didnt disable immobiliser, they take the spare clio and install it inside the steering column cos the immobiliser would be far too much work to disable, this way immobiliser always has key within range and this sorts problem, you then have a further two part immobiliser within the clifford alarm

Dont apologise for having an opinion mate! I agree, way to many bad installers.. get a good one, and the alarm will be top notch.

silver valver/hybrid

"they take the spare clio and install it inside the steering column"

how do they get a whole clio in there! :eek:

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Iv got it, its part of my standard alarm, Clifford Solaris.

You cant leave it in gear its impossible. You have to lock the car with the engine running and it switches the engine off. this ensures it is not in gear.

If the door opens at anytime then there is a possibility that the car could have been put in gear so it dont work.

I love it, dont always use it, but its great for mornings, and the look on peoples faces when it starts is like what the fuk?, night rider?

Quality!

silver valver/hybrid

i scared the kids next door with mine, i started it without looking and there were a load of kids standing next to my car, i heard them all scream and 2 mins later my next door neighbour knocked on the door thinking their kids were mad when they were saying the car started itself!

Revels Mum & Sister

I have it.

As for the Legal Side. The Keys must be entered in the Ignition before the car can be driven! So that side is solved.

Also about being left in gear. Clifford if left in gear will NOT remote start!!!

Is a novelty I guess. Use mine occasionaly but I dint pay for it so didnt really matter!! Same with Headlight Activation although good form finding your car in a car park!

350z & 16v Maxi

Sorry to hi-jack the threat but Liquid_ICE was it you that did BBGs demo PG Octane R Car. If so i am very impressed!!!

350z & 16v Maxi

oh and BTW if you just want remote start then i could fit remote start for about £20 if you have a unused boot release output on your alarm or something!!!

Quote: Originally posted by noel-pilot on 10 May 2003

IComplicated as hell to install hence why so many bad installers make piss poor jobs of it!

I was looking at this, only i was going to go for the Clifford MAtrix RS2 ( i think it is)

Either that or the clifford matrix 3 then add the remote start

But my problem is fitting it. who or which compnays can be trusted to fit them without doing a sh*te job of it?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

some people will recomend gap security, i however think they are a bunch of robbing c**ts.

they charged me more for the alarm and fitting than ne where else but i went with them with all the extra cover u get like the theft coverage.

well the bloke that came to do mine was a complete and utter tw*t, to fit the siren he undid the strap on my coolant bottle and pulled it out the way, a day later when driving a coolant hose blows off because he had pulled it out the way and disloged it.

my whole car rattles now from where he took apart parts of the dash etc.

i phoned gap to complain and they said they would call me back and never did, i got my mother to phone and complain cos she is better at it than me and they still did nothing.

oh and to keep up the warrentee with them u have to pay for them to come out and service it for u each year.

bunch of robbing nobs i tell yer.

go to a ice shop that does it and make sure u check your car over before and after to see if there is ne damage or loose fitting trim.

dont let ne 1 bull sh*t u, u r the customer and the customer is allways right.

MaLicE

I mean i know its "gimicky" but its just like the james bond car lol.

I love gadgets and its just one of those things you dont need but you want (well for me anyway!)