ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is the 182 a better drive then the 172

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
some people on here who have gone from a early 172mk2 to a 182 have said the 182 is a better drive?i was wondering why is it.What makes it better is it the cup packs.I was wondering if i put coilovers on a 172 would it be then a better drive then the 182 or equal?

would you say the build quality is better on 182"also is a late 172mk2 53 onwards with cruise a better drive then the early 172mk2?

E90
I've driven Toms cup pack 182, and with the cup pack was certainly alot sharper than my full fat 2003 172. As for build, doubt that changes much tbh, they still use the same tube of pritt stick to put them together. :)

Lee

BMW M2C
I swapped from an 03 plate 172 to a new 182 with Cup packs and found the 182 did handle noticeably better. It certainly cornered flatter, and the extra rubber helped it maintain a higher speed in the corner.

Properly setup coilovers on a 172 would handle better than a 182, as they are only a little better than a 172 IMO.

Build quality was exactly the same.

Dutch 172 said:
I've driven Toms cup pack 182, and with the cup pack was certainly alot sharper than my full fat 2003 172. As for build, doubt that changes much tbh, they still use the same tube of pritt stick to put them together. :)

lol........:quiet:

A cup'd 182 is a better drive than a standard 172 but a coilovered (assuming its a decent set) 172 would be a better drive than a standard 182.

Build is same throught tbh. As for the late vs early phase 2 question they have the same set up only some minor spec (cruise, changer, esp etc) changes so drive the same.

I went from an 02plate 172 to a 54 plate 182 owned both from new.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Loony said:
I went from an 02plate 172 to a 54 plate 182 owned both from new.

Christ, I've found someone whose thrown away more money on Renault than myself :) Regretting it yet?

Thanks guys so realy its just handling that improves between the two.Power wise would you say there equal 10 bhp not much what you think

Lee

BMW M2C
Loony said:
Nope. Lee's worse than me, he's had a 172, 182 and now a trophy lol.

I know, bad isn't it. All from new. 03 172, 04 182, 05 Trophy. I've stopped now, because the Trophy is going to take some beating. lol

tbh a decat system and if you can stretch to it 182 manifold and some inlet work would see you upto the same power assuming the 172 and 182s in question were putting out the power they should. Its not always the case though and power outputs seem to vary so a "good" 172 might put out as much or more than a "bad" 182. Obviously a "good" 182 will produce a healthy amount more than a "bad" 172. Either way there's f**k all in it on the road.

E90
well, on a flat out autobahn run or three against Tom's 182, he has a slight creep and deffo a bit more at the Top end, cos he did pull away from mine. That was flat out at 140 mph for about 5 minutes and included a german in a 330D beemer making us both look silly, theres a vid somewhere i think, LOL

It felt quicker than mine when i drove it, although it did have a sweet Zorst which always makes cars feel quicker than std.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Have passengered a few 172 and of course had a 172 cup. I then coilovered my 172. Since then I've driven a 182 cup pack a few times.

Basically the 182 is slightly better handling than the 172 (non cup), but a coilovered 172 is better than the 182. :)

E90
Listen to Si here, he's owned one and crashed both types , theres no man more qualified to comment on their grip (or lack of) LOL ;)

Dutch 172 said:
well, on a flat out autobahn run or three against Tom's 182, he has a slight creep and deffo a bit more at the Top end, cos he did pull away from mine. That was flat out at 140 mph for about 5 minutes and included a german in a 330D beemer making us both look silly, theres a vid somewhere i think, LOL

It felt quicker than mine when i drove it, although it did have a sweet Zorst which always makes cars feel quicker than std.

you got a link to the vid

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Dutch 172 said:
Listen to Si here, he's owned one and crashed both types , theres no man more qualified to comment on their grip (or lack of) LOL ;)

lol. You could say I've pushed the limit on the handling ;) x

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
onpoint productions said:
you got a link to the vid

Would love to see this too....

My experinece is that the 172cup std is better handling than the full fat 172. Not driven a FF 182 but driven a Trophy and would say that is on par with my 172 cup with Koni / Eibachs.

Just my experience....Si/Oms/Bubbles/Ang have been in my car with the Koni / eibachs on so they may want to comment.

E90
The vid is quite a good way to see the difference in em, cos they are both pulling from standstill, just about, to top speed and staying flat out for a good while. Both were two up, you'd have to put up with me yelling random stuff though, LOL Watch it and it will make you go buy a 330D Beemer though, cos it hammers us both.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Dutch 172 said:
The vid is quite a good way to see the difference in em, cos they are both pulling from standstill, just about, to top speed and staying flat out for a good while. Both were two up, you'd have to put up with me yelling random stuff though, LOL Watch it and it will make you go buy a 330D Beemer though, cos it hammers us both.

Are you not a fatty tho?? xxx

182 Cup Soon !!!
so how about say a standard 172, 16" 205/45s Billy/Koni Dampers and pro/sportline Eibach Springs???

Would handle well yess??

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Loony said:
I swear you were doomed from the start with that car.

After being pushed off the road by an arctic into a ditch 2 weeks into ownership I should have called it a day.

Needless to say its now someone elses problem. lol. :D