ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the Clio 197/200 a poor daily?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Partly thinking out loud here and I've been trying to put off posting this, but the more I think about it, the less I think the 197/200 works as a daily driver.

Think for a second that you're not an enthusiast... Or even that you're not in the mood to drive the car like a massive yob (for a change):

Poor mpg per performance aside, it's a car that you can't get into normally without tearing the bolsters open. This isn't only a recaro problem, the standard seats do this too.

It's a very unforgiving ride, when I first got it, if I was unfortunate enough to need a wee wee when I was driving, every bump in the road felt like a falcon punch to the bladder.

The recaros don't make for easy access to the rear for passengers or loading (this isn't so much an issue than me nitpicking).

It kangaroos when cold which most people not in the know (read as 'sad enough to frequent forums) would think is a massive manufacturing fault.

And the flat spot is borderline dangerous... Which as well, could be mistaken for a major fault with the car.

The main thing though, which I'm starting to find, possibly why I'm driving it less and less? Is that the Clio constantly wants to be driven like everything is a race.

Someone on here made a good analogy of 'the Clio is always on' I.e, it's only a pleasant experience when you want to press on, when you want to rev the tits off it, being fully immersed in the drive so much so that you're tensed up unknowingly trying to be as rigid as the car.

I'm wondering if this is why you rarely see these on the road, if old Doris bought a lovely little shopping cart then had her hip displaced on her first outing so took it back.

As a weekend/track car or toy, it's amazing. When you're pressing on, the experience is brilliant, everything works as it should and encourages you to really make pace... But as soon as you want to wind down, the Clio will have none of it.

I'm not sure whether the 1*2s are the same, but does anyone else see where I'm coming from? I don't know if I'm old before my time or what but I really do find myself driving it less and less to the point I frequently think about selling up... Then I take it for a thrash and remember why I have it and the cycle starts over.

TL: DR
The Clio wants to be a race car 24/7 but I want to relax sometimes. Does anyone else think the same?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You big f**king girl.

I met a 60 odd year old lady with a 200. Loves it. Just couldn't find any seat covers to put over her recaros. I'm not joking.

Guilty.

And Hero lol

As a daily there not ideal especially the 197 with its poor low down torque
The megane r26 is a perfect daily- effortless !

Don't talk to me about megs, I've had this open in my browser for over a week just looking at it lol

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...-renaultsport-trophy-s-s---------2015/4791755

The want for one of those is strong.

Clio 182
I feel exactly the same. My 182 always feels like it wants to be revved and hooned and it annoys me at times. Few mates have turbo cars and they are effortless when they want it to be. I use mine daily, 20k a year and overall love it. Want a 265 meg but am holding off as i want to get my 'yobo' stage out of the way. Fixed buckets, no rear seats ect. I really dont mind the harsh ride, exhaust noise ect but I get you about being 'on/off'. Suppose NA will always do that!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Nice
Although a decent r26 with exhaust & map will be 95% of the fun for 30% of the price!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I drive a 172 Cup as a daily. Came from a V70 D5, which couldn't have been more different. Done about 25k in the year I've owned it. It is flawed in so many ways as a daily, and I know I should buy something big, soft and oil-burning. However, whilst it is far from ideal 90% of the time, the grin ot puts on my face the other 10% of the time makes it a very difficult car to part with.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice
Although a decent r26 with exhaust & map will be 95% of the fun for 30% of the price!

I agree, but I've never got in an r26 and thought 'I need this' the way I did with a 250/275 or a 197/200.

I feel exactly the same. My 182 always feels like it wants to be revved and hooned and it annoys me at times. Few mates have turbo cars and they are effortless when they want it to be. I use mine daily, 20k a year and overall love it. Want a 265 meg but am holding off as i want to get my 'yobo' stage out of the way. Fixed buckets, no rear seats ect. I really dont mind the harsh ride, exhaust noise ect but I get you about being 'on/off'. Suppose NA will always do that!

20k in a track car is mental lol!

I am drawn to the lazy appeal of a turbo mind.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

2nd gear, 30mph.
Cruise control, Radio 2, heated seats and climate control on.

'Lo, a JDM y0 MX-5 approacheth, at full chat. It bwaarps past.

3 seconds later the MX-5 is re-taken and left far behind.

wolf-pen.jpg

*True story.

Clio 182
I agree, but I've never got in an r26 and thought 'I need this' the way I did with a 250/275 or a 197/200.

20k in a track car is mental lol!

No exactly a track car, rear brace and a carpet to cover were the seats were. Can't get people in the back due to seats so no point having them.
I am fighting the urge of a megane though, want a turbo badly!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The main thing though, which I'm starting to find, possibly why I'm driving it less and less? Is that the Clio constantly wants to be driven like everything is a race.

The Clio wants to be a race car 24/7 but I want to relax sometimes. Does anyone else think the same?

I absolutely agree 100%.

This is why I now drive the ST. The Clio 200 I owned was superb, perfect even, but only when you were wringing its neck which can become tiresome.

In the almost perfect world of boost that is my ST I don't have to hold 2nd gear at 5.5k rpm in case an overtaking opportunbity presents itself around the next country b-road bend, 4th is more than enough, 6th will sometimes do too.

That's the difference to me, the ability to get down the road at pace without having to make an effort.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No exactly a track car, rear brace and a carpet to cover were the seats were. Can't get people in the back due to seats so no point having them.
I am fighting the urge of a megane though, want a turbo badly!

I hope this thread wasn't just me getting people to convince me to get boost lol.

I really want a mk3 Meg or an s4 avant... But I can't afford a mk3 Meg atm lol :(

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I didnt find the 182 to bad tbh

The r32 is very dosile and easy to just cruise when you want but then can have a good spirited drive when you want it too

Clio 182
I hope this thread wasn't just me getting people to convince me to get boost lol.

I really want a mk3 Meg or an s4 avant... But I can't afford a mk3 Meg atm lol 😧

Haha it seems to be going that way. NA good for blasting, boost is good for daily driving and blasting. My mates Mk1 focus RS is a dream to drive, want boooost!

I badly want a 265 but i too cant afford one just yet!! S4 avant would be a dream, but youll visit the petrol stations far more!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha it seems to be going that way. NA good for blasting, boost is good for daily driving and blasting. My mates Mk1 focus RS is a dream to drive, want boooost!

I badly want a 265 but i too cant afford one just yet!! S4 avant would be a dream, but youll visit the petrol stations far more!

You forget I drive a 197.

M3 fuel efficiency for fiesta zs pace lol

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I do know what you mean, done a fair few longer Journeys in the 172 lately, either on the motorway or if they have been on nice A/B roads I have had at least one bike on the roof. Its just tiresome, the BTB exhaust hasn't helped making it bit droney on the motorway, the driving position always makes my right knee ache after an hour. Suppose it doesn't help when the other car is relatively so comfortable(even better since we took the runflats off), drove to the alps last summer 850 miles no leg ache, no bad back, no head ache.

I can see where you are coming from with the recaros. I make an effort to get in the car without intentionally brushing past the bolsters - and every time for a split second I think to myself 'easy does it'.

I do feel the kangaroo and flat spot can be 'driven out' with a bit of thought/careful throttle application.

I initially liked the steering but jumping between various cars I do wonder whether I like the steering of the 197 or not.

Clio 220 Trophy
The 275 is lovely in general - It's great if you're not used to the toys such as the sat nav and Bluetooth. I can't say I ever feel like driving it sensibly though - if anything the RS monitor just encourages me! I find it impossible to drive without sport mode on for at least 90% of the journey after warming up, frequently opening the window to listen to the Akrapovic burble.

What I will say though is that I don't think you'd find the ride much more forgiving than the Clio's (as standard or just with Eibach springs). I speak from experience without the ohlins only but I can't imagine them being any softer in any setup.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
A poor daily? Possibly. However in the colour yours is, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I didn't want more room, 5 doors and a big boot.

Megane R26.R No 26
Do you even take the Meg out of the garage lol?

Had it out on Sunday actually! First time in 3 weeks ha. Working away and new house purchase has put it down the pecking order. Thinking about changing but every time I get it out I can't bare to part with it

Suzuki Jimny
Tried a 200? Mine has no flat spot issue, quite happily jump in it and go shopping with the mrs etc.

Still craving a megane 265 though!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I can see where you are coming from with the recaros. I make an effort to get in the car without intentionally brushing past the bolsters - and every time for a split second I think to myself 'easy does it'.

I do feel the kangaroo and flat spot can be 'driven out' with a bit of thought/careful throttle application.

I initially liked the steering but jumping between various cars I do wonder whether I like the steering of the 197 or not.

I always feel like a dick asking passengers to 'please don't sit on the bolster when you get in'...'that's the bolster *points*'

Haven't you had the car for a while Scott?

Three and a half years now, it's flown by!

A poor daily? Possibly. However in the colour yours is, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I didn't want more room, 5 doors and a big boot.

I feel like the colour is a saving grace of it lol

Had it out on Sunday actually! First time in 3 weeks ha. Working away and new house purchase has put it down the pecking order. Thinking about changing but every time I get it out I can't bare to part with it[/QUOTE]

ah, congrats on the new house. And I know dem feels on that last point lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Tried a 200? Mine has no flat spot issue, quite happily jump in it and go shopping with the mrs etc.

Still craving a megane 265 though!

I had a go in my mates old one, and I've been a passenger in a few... Although I've never driven one from cold. His wasn't cup packed but it was still firm and quite loud

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Never had a problem with any of mine as a daily. I loved my 197 and love my current 182.

Granted, my Audi is infinitely more comfortable but also boring.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable than bored of my chebs.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is fine as a daily (172)
Don't have to sit at 5.5k in 2nd to overtake either.... 3rd-4th is fine.

I can cruise round in mine aswell, not always at full chat everywhere.

The Honda crv is more comfortable yes, but if I wanted comfort I would never of chosen the Clio in the first place.
Smiles per miles > comfort (IMO)

1.7 cdti
I can't see anyone buying a 172/182/197/200 just to dordle around in . Everyone one on here knows what to expect from them so maybe it's that you've just grown out of it and need a big engined bmw /audi instead . I knew when I had my 172 if I'd had a bad day at work the drive home would put a smile on my face everytime

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I can't see anyone buying a 172/182/197/200 just to dordle around in . Everyone one on here knows what to expect from them so maybe it's that you've just grown out of it and need a big engined bmw /audi instead . I knew when I had my 172 if I'd had a bad day at work the drive home would put a smile on my face everytime

You may have a point there.

But I still love driving it properly, I think now I just want the option to not have to be a race car driver every time I get in the thing.

1.7 cdti
You may have a point there.

But I still love driving it properly, I think now I just want the option to not have to be a race car driver every time I get in the thing.
Don't know about race car driver but pushing on is how they should be driven , don't know about the r27 but I would of thought they were similar . I got rid of mine for a 330d and soon got bored of it and always regretted getting rid

BG Clio 182
@Knuckles

I Think you need to get your car remapped mate. That'll sort out the kangarooing, lack of torque and to some extent, fuel economy.

Where I used to go into 2nd to overtake I find 3rd more than adequate now. Really makes a difference. Not on about an RS tuner either. A proper remap on the rollers.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Love my 172 and regularly do 150mile all round trip to Crawley. Exhaust is a tad noisy but sits at 70mph and I'm comfy.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I found my 200 was tiresome as a daily.

I then didn't use it hardly at all, it just sat there, then got sold.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bunch of wimps ;). I'd drive an elise as a daily if I could live with something that impractical. You have to accept a certain level of compromise if you want a drivers car.
I found the 200 perfectly livable. 33mpg, decent enough ride quality (non cup), fairly quiet on the motorway at 70.
I think a lot of it depends on what you're used to. I grew up with performs cars, and compared to stuff from the 80's and early 90's a 200 is very easy to live with.